Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-20-2022, 05:04 AM   #1
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
(Germany) Any sleek looking 6.5"+ EReaders other than the PW5/KOA3?

Hello! I've been lurking here for quite a bit since I got my PW2 2 weeks ago and been hooked on it ever since, and now i'm accumulating a 120 EUR budget for my next reader. (I usually buy second hand so I'm sure I can find something in my budget.)

I've been eyeing the PW5 or the Oasis 3 but I have a few concerns regarding both of them:

1. The Oasis 3 would probably be very awful to try and replace the battery once it dies (I think it's a valid concern since I'm buying second hand)
2. FW versions of them might be higher than what WatchThis supports. KOReader has spoiled me on my PW2

Also, I live in Germany so Kobo devices aren't really available here, and I'm not sure how close Tolino devices are to them (I am aware that Kobo bought Tolino a while back). So I'm looking for recommendations.

I primarily consume content in English so content availability in German is irrelevent to me.

I would prefer it to have:
1. a 6.5" screen or bigger
2. Something with decent 3rd party software support
3. Wouldn't break my bank, as I mentioned above since I don't have that high of a budget. Second hands are okay for me.
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:27 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Kobo Libra 2 or Libra H2O would be the best option. You can buy them from elsewhere in Europe, I bought mine from Amazon.fr. Tolinos have different software, I'm not sure if they support KOReader.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2022, 08:12 AM   #3
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kobo Libra 2 or Libra H2O would be the best option. You can buy them from elsewhere in Europe, I bought mine from Amazon.fr. Tolinos have different software, I'm not sure if they support KOReader.
AFAIK the software is android very heavily skinned, but the versions they run on are ancient from my googling around (Tolino Vision 5 runs on Android 4.4.2?). I also don't know how "hardened" the software is against rooting and other things.

Checking on amazon.fr, doesn't seem like there are any Libra 2 that ships to the Hesse region, and the ones available in Germany are 170 EUR. I guess it's more saving up if no better option pops up.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:17 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
There's also the new Pocketbook Era. You can install KOReader on it, but it's just been released and so is even more expensive than the Libra 2.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #5
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her

Quote:
There's also the new Pocketbook Era. You can install KOReader on it, but it's just been released and so is even more expensive than the Libra 2.
Yep, could barely see them around from my search. I'm probably gonna go with the PW5 since I found a listing that shows it's on 5.14.2 and is just right in my budget.
Advert
Old 07-20-2022, 05:03 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanakomisa View Post
The Oasis 3 would probably be very awful to try and replace the battery once it dies (I think it's a valid concern since I'm buying second hand)
I have not seen any reports of anyone opening an Oasis 2 or Oasis 3 without destroying it.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:13 AM   #7
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Kobo Libra 2 is avaiable at amazon germany here
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 03:11 PM   #8
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I have not seen any reports of anyone opening an Oasis 2 or Oasis 3 without destroying it.
Which is why I decided against it. Talking to a discord friend they also recommended against the Oasis for it's impossibility to repair as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
Kobo Libra 2 is avaiable at amazon germany here
Thank you, I've already bit the bullet and bought myself the Papwerwhite 5 though. Maybe for my next device since I might get into collecting these devices for fun once I have a better income.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:06 AM   #9
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her

Update! I got my Paperwhite Kids, and it came on 5.14.0.1, the important part is to untick "Link your account" before buying the device. Same applies to the Fire tablets if you want an older version of the software.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:38 AM   #10
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanakomisa View Post
AFAIK the software is android very heavily skinned, but the versions they run on are ancient from my googling around (Tolino Vision 5 runs on Android 4.4.2?). I also don't know how "hardened" the software is against rooting and other things.

Checking on amazon.fr, doesn't seem like there are any Libra 2 that ships to the Hesse region, and the ones available in Germany are 170 EUR. I guess it's more saving up if no better option pops up.
Since you live in Germany, I would recommend the "Tolino Vision 6" (New "7" Screen E-INK Carta 1200) version.
To my surprise, it has an excellent screen, better than the Kobo Libra 2.
It has a really strong contrast and sharpness of font.

Compared to other book readers, it has the advantage that you can choose from several electronic book providers (onleihe.de etc).

https://mytolino.com/products/tolino-vision-6/

Compared to its predecessor, it is not based on Android 4.* but Android 8.*. Installing an APK application is not that complicated and there is no need to ROOT.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 10-12-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:06 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@hanakomisa given that you live in Germany, if you do use Overdrive or ever will use Overdrive, you won't be able to use it with a Kindle. You are best with a Kobo or Tolino.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 01:30 PM   #12
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Since you live in Germany, I would recommend the "Tolino Vision 6" (New "7" Screen E-INK Carta 1200) version.
To my surprise, it has an excellent screen, better than the Kobo Libra 2.
It has a really strong contrast and sharpness of font.

Compared to other book readers, it has the advantage that you can choose from several electronic book providers (onleihe.de etc).

https://mytolino.com/products/tolino-vision-6/

Compared to its predecessor, it is not based on Android 4.* but Android 8.*. Installing an APK application is not that complicated and there is no need to ROOT.
How can the screen be better if it's the same hardware? (Well, except for the processor, but I'd expect the casing and the screen to be the same.) Have you compared them side by side?
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 03:53 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There is a slight variation of brightness (with same lighting and front light off) even with the same model. Not usually enough to show on a single photo taken of the two ereaders together. Comparing online images or your own ereader with online images is pointless even with a calibrated HDR monitor because you don't know lighting and exposure and camera/phone used.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 04:18 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@hanakomisa One advantage to the Tolino Vision 6 is that you can install the Android Kindle app and have the best of both worlds (ePub & Kindle).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 06:29 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Guys, they bought their reader months ago.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote