Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
taylor3456
taylor3456 began at the beginning.

Device: hanvon n800
"this is impossible in linux based readers.(currently)"

Is there an Eink Device , which support this kind of feature: scratches or notes can be saved and embedded in a pdf file and can be displayed with a PC?

from dulin‘s books, I know: "this is impossible in linux based readers.(currently)"

perhaps not with linux based readers? (android based or wince based?)
taylor3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This used to be possible on the Linux-based iRex iLiad, see Merge scribbles with PDF. A similar approach (do the merge on a PC) would presumably be possible with any device that supports scribbles or notes.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Works on Sony 650. I just tested it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Works on Sony 650. I just tested it.
Kind of. Unless this has been patched recently, annotations on SONYs can be viewed on your PC, but not embedded in a PDF file. That is, the annotations are saved in a separate file and, when you open the PDF in SONY's software (so even on your PC, if you install Reader), it will overlay the annotations.

But you cannot save the annotations in the PDF and view them in any other PDF viewer - as you can, say, with iAnnotate on the iPad. Which does not sound like a huge problem, until you realize that SONY's software makes for very clunky PDF viewing (not even a decent zoom feature... what the heck... ).

The annotation can, however, be exported to an RTF. But even that is somehow clunky - the page with annotation will be saved as an image and pasted into an RTF file, while highlighted text will be pasted as text - unless the file is protected by copyright, in which case at max 150 characters will be copied over.

As I said... clunky.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Sony's can also capture the page as an image with scribbles intact but they are not saved in the body of the actual pdf viewable with any other PDF reader on another platform like windows. They are using PDF viewers not editors that have annotation capability.

I did find one actually that does work in linux http://www.qoppa.com/pdfstudio/index.html i have no way to try it here but ill give it a shot on a friends ubuntu machine when i have a chance. I don't know if it could be ported for readers , or if they woudl be interested.

The GNU PDF project http://www.gnupdf.org/Main_Page is where the main push is happening for free tools being developed for fully functioning PDF support in linux

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 07-16-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
taylor3456

thank you for your input. It is really a problem currently!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
taylor3456

I find a device, named hanvon n800, which can embed the scratches into pdf files! but only scratches, not the highlighted selection