Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #1
Hector1970
Hector1970 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite not connecting to Computer

Hi All

I've a number of Kindles (Paperwhites) that I used to be able to connect to a computer / laptop and add documents to it. It used to appear as a drive like the C or D drive and I could add files to the documents folder. Now none of the Kindles will connect to computer or laptop. I've used Windows 10 Laptops and gone back to Windows Vista laptops. I've downloaded the latest drivers (which are not new - there seems to be no updates). Should a Kindle Paperwhite be able to connect to a computer. If I bought a new one would it or has all this been disabled on the Kindle by Amazon. I bought new data cables to make sure I was using a data cable (as opposed to power only cable). Every other type of device connects no problems to the computers. Only the Kindle is not recognized.
All information on the internet is completely out of date. I just can't tell are all my devices malfunctioning or whether its just not possible anymore.
Hector1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:50 PM   #2
Hector1970

Just to say in case someone asks. The Kindle does charge through a plug or when connected to a computer. Wifi works fine. Full functioning other than not connecting to a computer.
Really interested if this this not a widespread problem and whether if I buy a new Kindle Paperwhite that it will connect to a computer.
Advert
Old 10-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It should definitely work, but you seem to have tried everything (different computers, different cables, different Kindles).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I thought windoze has a tool that tells whether it noticed anything when something gets plugged in. Seems like one more thing to try.

On linux, it would be dmesg.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I thought windoze has a tool that tells whether it noticed anything when something gets plugged in. Seems like one more thing to try.

On linux, it would be dmesg.
I'm not familar with dmesg on linsux, but it sounds like Device Manager on Windows does something similar.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm not familar with dmesg on linsux, but it sounds like Device Manager on Windows does something similar.
dmesg only deals with messages from the kernel.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
dmesg only deals with messages from the kernel.
Whoop-dee-doo Basil.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #8
Hector1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It should definitely work, but you seem to have tried everything (different computers, different cables, different Kindles).
Yes everything 4 kindle paperwhites , three computers, many cables including new ones that are definitely data cables and working. Each Kindle charges with a laptop or plug. Device doesn't show up in Device manager in Windows.
It used to work but no longer. I tried both modern and old laptops (Vista).
I was wondering if updates on the Kindle Firmware has disabled this functionality.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:27 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

When you plug one of the kindles into one of the computers while the kindle is on, does the kindle display change in any way other than a lightning icon in the battery icon?
Old 10-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Amazon hasn't disabled this option, I connect both my Paperwhite and my Oasis on a regular basis to my Windows 10 laptop.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:32 PM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Are the Kindles running regular Kindle OS's? Are they registered and in use?

Are these your Kindles?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #12
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector1970 View Post
Hi All

I've a number of Kindles (Paperwhites) that I used to be able to connect to a computer / laptop and add documents to it. It used to appear as a drive like the C or D drive and I could add files to the documents folder. Now none of the Kindles will connect to computer or laptop. I've used Windows 10 Laptops and gone back to Windows Vista laptops. I've downloaded the latest drivers (which are not new - there seems to be no updates). Should a Kindle Paperwhite be able to connect to a computer. If I bought a new one would it or has all this been disabled on the Kindle by Amazon. I bought new data cables to make sure I was using a data cable (as opposed to power only cable). Every other type of device connects no problems to the computers. Only the Kindle is not recognized.
All information on the internet is completely out of date. I just can't tell are all my devices malfunctioning or whether its just not possible anymore.
It should work. I've seen the same problem reported and have the same issue for years with my home computer. The cords are fine, other things connect fine, but my Kindles (multiple) randomly will not be read by the computer. They will charge and be connected, but that's it. I have to keep switching cables. It doesn't always make sense, but sometimes if I can find the cable that came with the kindle, it seems to connect. It's a weird quirk that doesn't affect a lot of users but always has me (with 2 fires, 2 paperwhites, and 1 oasis) on this home computer.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote