Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-05-2024, 06:14 PM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Any chance of seeing the same covers and pages on both ereaders?
Yeah, once I give it to her and peel the protective layer off. I'm trying to keep it 'newish' until she gets it.

I only opened it to see if I could just order a Clara 2E case. I did find covers claiming to be for the color. But when I ordered it said it would arrive between May 15-30.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 06:18 PM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think the same covers with some complex graphics (if possible) would be good. We see text comparisons. I'd like to see graphics comparisons.
In a little bit, I'll post pictures of the HD, 2E and Color side by side by side. But in the past, I did have problems with my phone camera smoothing over differences between the HD and 2E.
Old 05-05-2024, 06:21 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

By the way, the recycled plastic on the Color is just CLEARLY not as nice as the plastic on the 2E. But given everything, is prefer it becomes the norm (assuming the recycled plastic isn't just a bunch of green washing).
Old 05-06-2024, 11:11 AM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
By the way, the recycled plastic on the Color is just CLEARLY not as nice as the plastic on the 2E. But given everything, is prefer it becomes the norm (assuming the recycled plastic isn't just a bunch of green washing).
I don't know if it means anything, but Kobo doesn't appear to be advertising recycled plastic on any of the three models they just released. (At least not on their website.)
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 11:26 AM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't know if it means anything, but Kobo doesn't appear to be advertising recycled plastic on any of the three models they just released. (At least not on their website.)
From their page for the Clara Color: Thoughtfully made with recycled and ocean-bound plastic, Kobo Clara Colour is a more eco-conscious eReader.

Clara BW and Libra Color both have the same or similar.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:30 AM   #36
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

I gave my kid the Clara last night. She fired it up and my first thought is: That's not very colorful at all...

Then the one Colleen Hoover book I bought her from Kobo showed up in pastel pink and blue and I realized all my sideloaded books had black and white covers because I ticked the box for it in Kobo Touch Extended

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-06-2024 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:42 AM   #37
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
because I ticked the box for it in Kobo Touch Extended
Can you reload them in color for free?
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 11:46 AM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Can you reload them in color for free?
Yes. Uncheck the checkbox and use the KoboUtilities plugin to resend the covers. Power cycle the Clara Colour to remove cached covers from memory.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:18 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Yes. Uncheck the checkbox and use the KoboUtilities plugin to resend the covers. Power cycle the Clara Colour to remove cached covers from memory.
Yeah, when she gets home from school I'll just remove and reload the books. Should be easy enough.
Old 05-06-2024, 04:57 PM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
From their page for the Clara Color: Thoughtfully made with recycled and ocean-bound plastic, Kobo Clara Colour is a more eco-conscious eReader.

Clara BW and Libra Color both have the same or similar.
Okay. I didn't see that. I just noticed they don't have the little recycled plastic "badge" on these, like they did on the Clara 2E and Elipsa 2E

https://us.kobobooks.com/cdn/shop/fi...g?v=1691687671
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 08:33 PM   #41
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Welp, I connected it to calibre, then uninstalled and reinstalled the books and now the covers are in color. Didn't even need to power cycle.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:42 PM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Hey guys. Here's some comparison photos of the Clara HD, 2E and Color; side-by-side-by-side.

As mentioned earlier, I am no Ansel Adams. These are all on my kitchen island. It is a cloudy day, so I am using the light overhead (please note the ever-present cat hair on the HD).

All are open to the first chapter of It, all using the Scriptoria Font (which is Literata book using a newer version of Literata) and the font size is as close as I could get i, with margins and spacing set at zero. Weirdly, I could not get the words to line up perfectly even though it is three screens all with the same resolution.

1 is the readers with no light. The Color looks abysmal here.

2 is with light at 15%

3 was an attempt to get the Color to match the HD and 2E at 15%. I think I set it to 35%

4 is photo I took of the light settings

5 is all three at 100%

6 is the reason you buy a Color. The My Books screen for all three.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	843.8 KB
ID:	208128   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	778.2 KB
ID:	208129   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	715.3 KB
ID:	208130   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	759.4 KB
ID:	208131   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	718.8 KB
ID:	208132   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	735.5 KB
ID:	208133  
Old 05-08-2024, 01:57 PM   #43
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Thank you. Those photos only confirm what I already knew: current color tech is not for me.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:05 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thanks for the photos. I do like the screen of the Clara 2E vs the HD.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-08-2024 at 02:15 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:12 PM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks for the photos. I do like the screen of the Clara BW.
I don't have the BW, but would like to see it. Is there much of a jump between the 1200 and 1300?