Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-06-2023, 12:01 PM   #1
mattcd216
Enthusiast
mattcd216 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 D01100
K4 time zone

Hi. I've used a K4 to make the literary clock project. Worked nicely for ages, until the UK moved from Greenwich Mean Time to British Summer Time. The kindle hasn't changed time zone, it would appear. It's an hour behind. Not the literary clock project, but the device itself. It doesn't seem to update as per network time once on wifi, either.

Any ideas?!

Thanks,
Matt
mattcd216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:04 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If you care about the native UI, there's a slightly obtuse `settz` script you can use.

If you don't, it's a Linux system, just import a sane timezone file from any halway recent Linux system in there (IIIRC, it's in the standard place; if not, dig around in /var/local) and fix the date.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2023, 09:35 AM   #3
mattcd216
Enthusiast

Thanks for the steer.

The date command shows the kindle is in UTC zone, but I'm not getting much further. timedatectl does not work. I don't have a timezone file in the /etc directory. The file /etc/localtime links to /var/local/system/tz but I can't find that file when I cd to that directory.

There is a last_time file in /etc/local/system but I don't seem to be able to do much with it.
Code:
[root@kindle system]# ls -l last_time
---x--xr-T    1 root     root            8 Feb 16 11:28 last_time
Any pointers?

Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2023, 01:04 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcd216 View Post
timedatectl

Nor should it, that's a systemd special, IIRC .

Quote:
The file /etc/localtime links to /var/local/system/tz but I can't find that file
Well, you kinda answered your own question there . Just import the right tzdata file from a Linux system in place of that missing varlocal one.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 02:04 PM   #5
mattcd216
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. I created the tz file and put Europe/London in it. A cat of the /etc/localtime link produces that. Still can't get the kindle to jump forward to British Summer Time, though.
Also tried recreating the symlink to /var/local/system/Europe/London but that didn't work.

Only command I can get to work is the date command, which shows UTC. timedatectl does not work. Also no /usr/share/zoneinfo directory, which a lot of guides point to.

I'm away for a few weeks now. Will get back on it when I'm back.

Thanks for the help.
Advert
Old 06-07-2023, 03:07 PM   #6
mattcd216
Enthusiast

Finally solved this.

The /etc/localtime sym linked to a file that didn't exist. I scp'd the Europe/London file from my ubuntu laptop over to the kindle and recreated the sym link.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:40 AM   #7
qadzek
qadzek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Finally solved this.

The /etc/localtime sym linked to a file that didn't exist. I scp'd the Europe/London file from my ubuntu laptop over to the kindle and recreated the sym link.
Thanks for sharing your solution.

Moving a file like
Code:
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London
from a recent Linux system to
Code:
/var/local/system/tz
on the Kindle seemed to initially work, but didn't survive a reboot.

Symlinking the
Code:
/etc/localtime
file directly to the time zone file seems to fix this:
Code:
ln -s /London /etc/localtime
qadzek is offline   Reply With Quote