Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2023, 01:40 PM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Kindle Scribe update including pressure sensitivity and new pens

I just found an article about a Kindle Scribe update that includes new pens (including a fountain pen) and brushes. It also adds pressure sensitivity, folders within folders for notebooks and go to pages for notebooks. A step in the right direction.

https://ewritable.com/amazon-release...ribe-5-16-1-2/

It is listed on the kindle software update page here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:41 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have updated my Scribe.

Folders in folders is good, wonder if they have fixed Notebook sync issues some people were having.

Pressure sensitivity is noticeable for Marker, not so much for Pencil, Pen, or Fountain Pen.

But still no changes with Print Replica support as far as I can tell (i.e. ability to interact with text layer). It is probably not new, but the Aa More options has an (enabled) option for About This Book. I take this as evidence that Kindle Store content in this format will be supported in the future.

Another thing that seems new is that I got a prompt to create a passcode 'to protect my notebooks' after creating one after the update. There aren't any changes to passcode functionality, i.e. it is for the device, not just for accessing Notebooks. And it just appeared the one time.

One annoyance when reading Print Replica documents persists: if you set the writing toolbar to the 'finger' (select mode) so it does not draw anything, it does not 'stick'. The next session reverts to drawing mode. When it is in drawing mode, you must swipe with a fingertip to turn pages, tap with fingertip does nothing. Tapping or swiping with Pen draws something. So sure, you can hide the writing toolbar, but then there is no annotation (at least until the text layer can be interacted with).

Last edited by tomsem; 02-27-2023 at 05:17 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2023, 05:30 PM   #3
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to try it now! Been working so couldn't do it. V frustrating.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:07 PM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Pressure sensitivity is noticeable for Marker, not so much for Pencil, Pen, or Fountain Pen.
Before, in the original, there was no pressure sensitivity at all? At least it appears the hardware is not crippled, but just the software doesn't take every advantage it could. It might be that Amazon wants a certain user experience with a minimum performance before adding features that might create lag or something. Or they released the Scribe way before everything was finished programming.

Edit: wake me up when the print replica is fixed and or marking up PDFs directly works.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-27-2023 at 09:10 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 09:23 PM   #5
Pjama
Guru

We seem to have an undo button in the notebooks that wasn’t there before. I love the fountain pen. It looks and feels beautiful.

I found pressure sensitivity extremely sensitive for the pencil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54E176AC-0FAF-47B2-ADBC-ECD1900E51BD.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	200006   Click image for larger version

Name:	7E2D3BC7-1237-44E6-B6DE-6C52AA2F0575.jpeg
Views:	329
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	200007  
Advert
Old 02-27-2023, 09:34 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Before, in the original, there was no pressure sensitivity at all? At least it appears the hardware is not crippled, but just the software doesn't take every advantage it could. It might be that Amazon wants a certain user experience with a minimum performance before adding features that might create lag or something. Or they released the Scribe way before everything was finished programming.

Edit: wake me up when the print replica is fixed and or marking up PDFs directly works.
There was only a 'pen' tip before, and it was not pressure sensitive (and apparently still isn't, at least not that I can notice). I guess I don't care too much about pressure-sensitivity myself, but it's nice you can have more variation in line quality, even if you have to keep going back to the writing toolbar to switch (Premium Pen can only do one thing with its button).

Last edited by tomsem; 02-27-2023 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:37 AM   #7
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
We seem to have an undo button in the notebooks that wasn’t there before. I love the fountain pen. It looks and feels beautiful.

I found pressure sensitivity extremely sensitive for the pencil.
I agree with your comment on the fountain pen - it's a pleasant surprise!
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:42 PM   #8
sheri2022
sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, Hisense A9
I'm loving the update so far, calligraphy and sketching seems feasible now. Too bad, I'm just like a 6-year-old kid who doesn't know where/how to start.
sheri2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 04:23 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I won't complain about this update: it seems to have added most of the features Notebook was clearly lacking before, along with some surprises. This is a summary of the features:

https://ewritable.com/amazon-release...ribe-5-16-1-2/

Pencil and Marker are pressure-sensitive, and Pencil is tilt-sensitive (for shading).

I was hoping for some improvements to the 'Mark up PDF' use case. Apparently, Amazon has stated there will be 'regular updates'. So maybe next time I'll get my wish...