Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
tosim
tosim began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Redo Metadata after update to 0.8.7.0

Been using Calibre for approximately 6 months on Windows(XP Pro, and 7), and Linux Mint13. I've always installed each update and all was good. However, with this 0.8.7.0, it did not automatically load my library. I had to click on add books, and point it to my Calibre library (in My Documents). Then the metadata was somewhat mixed up. Anyone else have this problem, and, should I stop doing the (frequent) updates?
tosim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosim View Post
Been using Calibre for approximately 6 months on Windows(XP Pro, and 7), and Linux Mint13. I've always installed each update and all was good. However, with this 0.8.7.0, it did not automatically load my library. I had to click on add books, and point it to my Calibre library (in My Documents). Then the metadata was somewhat mixed up. Anyone else have this problem, and, should I stop doing the (frequent) updates?
Please tell us that you are not accessing the same library from 2 systems at the same time, that can corrupt it.

Also, even simply (Win<->Linux dual boot type) sharing of a library can lead to file name case issues.
Corruption of the users profile is rare (the location of the current Library is in the profile). I have not had it happen in any of the releases covering V6 to V7 to V8. YMMV
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Also, even if you have fixed metadata for books in the Calibre library, the books most likely have not been updated with the new metadata. The new metadata is stored in metadata.db and only written to the books when you save them to disc or send to device.

It is possible to update ePubs inside the Calibre library using the Modify ePub plugin, or by converting the file to the same format it already has.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
However, with this 0.8.7.0, it did not automatically load my library. I had to click on add books, and point it to my Calibre library (in My Documents).
Clicking Add books is not the way to switch to an existing library. You should have simply clicked the library icon and pointed to the library location (folder where metadata.db was) and in 2 seconds everything would have been as it was before you updated.

Quote:
Then the metadata was somewhat mixed up.
The metadata was messed up because the books did not have the metadata embedded in them. You just readded a bunch of imperfect books to your "new" library. The previous metatadata was in the metadata.db file in the root directory of your previous library.

Quote:
Anyone else have this problem, and, should I stop doing the (frequent) updates?
It looks like you're on your own with this problem. If I had to guess I might guess that you were using the Portable calibre version and pointed the installer to a different directory.

How often you update is up to you. I have applied every update promptly for 3.5 years without any hitch. Over those 3.5 years a wide array of glitches and bugs have popped up after an update, but I can safely say that no one has lost any books (including you) in their library due to an update.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
tosim
tosim began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thanks to all of you for the replies. I have Calibre, and Calibre Library(in MyDocs), installed separately, in each computer, and have not cross-accessed. I.e., am not accessing same library from both systems, although each library is an exact duplicate, as I try to keep them in sync. I am using the installed, not the portable, version.
Again, thanks to all.
tosim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert