Notices

Old 09-07-2023, 09:09 AM   #1
WV-Mike
Connoisseur
WV-Mike began at the beginning.

Device: None
Problems with an ePub displaying properly in Reasily and ReadEra

Greetings,
I am having some problems with an ePub displaying properly in Reasily and ReadEra.

Overall ReadEra displays only two problems:
* Single page reading mode: the chapter "Camp Roster" is split into two pages.
* Continuous page reading mode: the chapter "Camp Roster" is terminated after the first page.

As you will see there are numerous problems in ReadEra: text is not centered, paragraphs are indented, pages area split, etc.

I am hoping someone will have the time and interest to look at my ePub file and help me find out what is causing these problems.

There are screen shots here:
https://www.EpicRoadTrips.us/reasily_read_era/
The ePub file is here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sjs...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks,
WV-Mike
WV-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 10:25 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The ePub has a number of errors and structural mistakes. It needs to be fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2023, 10:34 AM   #3
WV-Mike
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The ePub has a number of errors and structural mistakes. It needs to be fixed.
Dear Resident Curmudgeon,
Can you please elaborate on this?

Thanks,
WV-Mike
Old 09-07-2023, 11:31 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Check Book
Quote:
ERROR: Unclosed block****[OEBPS/Styles/mnc_toc.css]
ERROR: Bare text in body tag****[OEBPS/Text/glovers.xhtml]
WARNING: The CSS font-family name SmallCaps does not match the actual font name Fontin SmallCaps****[OEBPS/Styles/mnc_toc.css]
WARNING: The file OEBPS/Fonts/Fontin-SmallCaps.otf has a MIME type that does not match its extension****[OEBPS/content.opf]
EpubCheck in Calibre editor gets LOADs of errors.

Edit it as an odt in LO Writer using paragraph styles, no direct formatting except for italic, bold, superscript and subscript.

Final Extra Save As in Docx, then convert that to epub in Calibre. There will be no errors.

Load it yourself in Calibre Edit Book by right click on File.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 11:33 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV-Mike View Post
Dear Resident Curmudgeon,
Can you please elaborate on this?

Thanks,
WV-Mike
You don't expect him to fix it? Though I'm sure he can. But you need to figure out this stuff yourself.
Advert
Old 09-07-2023, 11:59 AM   #6
WV-Mike
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You don't expect him to fix it? Though I'm sure he can. But you need to figure out this stuff yourself.
If I don't know what to look for or understand what the problem is it is going to be difficult to correct the problems.

I will look at what you have found and have a stab at it.
Thanks,
-Mike
Old 09-07-2023, 12:17 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Check Book

EpubCheck in Calibre editor gets LOADs of errors.

Edit it as an odt in LO Writer using paragraph styles, no direct formatting except for italic, bold, superscript and subscript.

Final Extra Save As in Docx, then convert that to epub in Calibre. There will be no errors.

Load it yourself in Calibre Edit Book by right click on File.
I'm not sure loading it into a word processor would fix the errors. IMHO, it's easier to fix the ePub.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:25 PM   #8
WV-Mike
Connoisseur

Quote:
Here is one of the errors Pagina finds in numerous files.

ERROR (RSC-005) at "1mnc_calibre.epub/OEBPS/Text/introduction.xhtml" (line 7, col 10):
Error while parsing file: element "style" missing required attribute "type"

The problem appears to be to be in this:
<head>
<title>Introduction</title>
<link href="../Styles/mnc_toc.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"/>
<style>
div.container {
text-align: center;
}
ol.mnc {
display: inline-block;
text-align: left;
font: 16px Arial, sans-serif;
}
</style>
</head>

Knowing what the error is does not help me correct it.
I need some guidance here.

WV-Mike
Old 09-07-2023, 01:00 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not sure loading it into a word processor would fix the errors. IMHO, it's easier to fix the ePub.
I agree that normally I'd not export rtf/docx, that I'd edit the epub. But that's ebooks that are bought or from well known PD sites. This looks like a mess. I've occasionally exported/ converted seriously bad azw3 or epub to RTF or docX and then replaced all the body styles, redone headings and special non-chapter breaks etc. Once even stripped back to plain text it was so bad.

Putting it into a word processor never fixes the errors automatically. Manual reformatting the word doc styles in in this case. would help. It's just a less error prone way of making ebooks if you understand paragraph styles. They map 1:1 to CSS and there are never epub errors if a word processor document is done correctly. Of course GIGO applies. A badly done document will give a poor epub, though it will lack most of the errors this example has.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-07-2023 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:11 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:

<style>
div.container {
}
ol.mnc {
}
</style>
That's an inline style. Bad idea, not seen that in years so I'd have to look up the syntax. ALL styles should be in a css.

Where did this come from, or what was the creation work flow?
Old 09-07-2023, 01:21 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it's worth, I took a look at the epub. It's a mess. One example is here where a second <title> tag is inside the body tag along with the <style> tag.

Code:
<head>
<title></title></head>
<body>
<title>ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS</title>
<style>
div.container {
}

ol.mnc {
}
</style>
There were also naked <br/> tags, etc. The } at the end of the stylesheet was missing, etc.

I did a quick and dirty 5 minutes cleanup and have attached that file to this message.

I hope that looking at what was done will give you some help.
Attached Files
File Type: epub e_book_mnc-1970s-reports_new_toc_modded.epub (215.3 KB, 40 views)
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 02:20 PM   #12
WV-Mike
Connoisseur

Quote:
I did a quick and dirty 5 minutes cleanup and have attached that file to this message.
It took me more than 5 minutes to clean but I got it down from 65 errors to 33.
All of them are:
ERROR (RSC-005) at "10mnc_calibre.epub/OEBPS/Text/introduction.xhtml" (line 7, col 10):
Error while parsing file: element "style" missing required attribute "type"

I removed all of those from all the files and, as you did, I added:
div.container {
}

ol.mnc {
}

to the CSS file.

Here is the Pagina log file now:
---
Validating using EPUB version 2.0.1 rules.
(https://github.com/w3c/epubcheck)
September 7, 2023 1:59:46 PM EDT
No errors or warnings detected. EPUB is valid!
---

However, I still have a problem with the font. In your version the SmallCaps are displayed. In mine they are not.
I will work on this.

And, all of the original problems I reported are still there.
So, it validates with no errors but it made no difference as it relates to what I was hoping to correct.

Now what do I do?

Many thanks to all !!

WV-Mike
Old 09-07-2023, 02:23 PM   #13
WV-Mike
Connoisseur

Quote:
That's an inline style. Bad idea, not seen that in years so I'd have to look up the syntax. ALL styles should be in a css.

Where did this come from, or what was the creation work flow?
"creation work flow" ?
I can't even remember now. I have been fiddling with it for so long it is a confused mess.

Yes, I am a dinosaur - I still use inline style now and then.
WV-Mike
Old 09-07-2023, 02:55 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
However, I still have a problem with the font. In your version the SmallCaps are displayed. In mine they are not.
I will work on this.

And, all of the original problems I reported are still there.
So, it validates with no errors but it made no difference as it relates to what I was hoping to correct.

Now what do I do?

Many thanks to all !!

WV-Mike
That's why I mentioned the missing '}'. In the original version, the stylesheet ended without the closing }. Adding the } on a new line after src: url(../Fonts/Fontin-SmallCaps.otf); fixed the issue for me.

Code:
@font-face {
    font-family: 'SmallCaps';
    font-weight: bold;
    font-style: normal;
    font-variant: small-caps;
    src: url(../Fonts/Fontin-SmallCaps.otf);
Quote:
@font-face {
font-family: 'SmallCaps';
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
font-variant: small-caps;
src: url(../Fonts/Fontin-SmallCaps.otf);
}
I would suggest switching to either Sigil with Doitsu's epubcheck plugin or calibre's e-book editor again with the epubcheck plugin. This allows you to click on the error line number to go to the error. If your Pagina epub checker is not detecting that stylesheet error though epubcheck in both Sigil and calibre's e-book editor are not happy with it, you may to update pagina epub checker. From their webpage, you need 2.1.0 to use epubcheck 5.1.0.

I've attached an image of checking your original epub with pagina 2.1.0. The CSS-008 error at the end of the error list is that missing } which likely makes the font identification impossible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pagina_epubcheck_errors.png
Views:	58
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	203617  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 03:23 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For what it's worth, I took a look at the epub. It's a mess. One example is here where a second <title> tag is inside the body tag along with the <style> tag.

Code:
<head>
<title></title></head>
<body>
<title>ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS</title>
<style>
div.container {
}

ol.mnc {
}
</style>
There were also naked <br/> tags, etc. The } at the end of the stylesheet was missing, etc.

I've fixed the Camp Roster page.
Attached Files
File Type: epub e_book_mnc-1970s-reports_new_toc_modded.epub (215.3 KB, 39 views)