Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
wherahiko
Enthusiast
wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle PW 3
Better contrast on GloHD screen compared to Libra H2O?

Last week I 'upgraded' my GloHD to a LibraH20. I'm happy with the big screen, buttons, and Overdrive support. However, the contrast on my Libra's screen is not nearly as good as on the GloHD.

On the GloHD, I read most of the time without the frontlight on at all (I find this more comfortable), but on the Libra, I find I have to use the frontlight almost all the time, unless I'm reading outdoors.

Are others experiencing this difference too? I'm guessing this is because of the Libra's capacitive screen compared to the IR on the GloHD. But I just wanted to check that I don't have a defective Libra.
wherahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
wherahiko
Enthusiast
wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Photos attached so you can see the distinction. The difference is starker in real life than in the photos, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2FF65921-2ECC-4F88-AF7D-FBB3FBC123A9.jpeg
Views:	342
Size:	764.8 KB
ID:	183355   Click image for larger version

Name:	D685584C-46A9-4313-9FD3-2BB774555BDF.jpeg
Views:	318
Size:	785.5 KB
ID:	183356  
Advert
Old 11-12-2020, 11:06 PM   #3
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Absolutely !!!!!!!
Me too, when I bought a Libra back in August, I was surprised of the darker blacks in the Glo HD... but still, I think that the Libra is a good e-reader nonetheless.

But you're not crazy. The difference is there.

Cheers
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Original H2O is slightly better than the Libra, which is about the same as the PW3. The PW4 seems slightly poorer.

All with ambient light only. The Original H2O is IR touch, which will have slightly brighter white than capacitive touch.

There is also some variation between panels, but I think the factory calibration uses a value printed on the panel ribbon.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:13 PM   #5
wherahiko
Enthusiast

Thanks, NiMa and Quoth for your replies and for confirming this is indeed normal. NiMa, I agree that the Libra is a great reader even with this relative lack of ‘contrastiness’. I wonder how the Clara compares?
Advert
Old 11-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Libra though has a far better screen than the Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Touch (worst for ghosting), Story book Cover (not HD), first Kindle Basic, PW2, Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1 and Sony PRS350, and Kindle Keyboard (AKA Kindle Gen 3) and even the Kindle PW4 (is that PW 2018).

The Original H20, while 267 dpi approx rather than 300 dpi, has the brightest in ambient light screen I've seen.

I saw the 1st 6" Sony sold in Ireland and tried it in a shop (Maybe their 2nd model) and would have bought it except I couldn't afford it. Wife also agreed that it was very very grey but also thought the only barrier was cost. This might have been before ANY Kindle or iPhone and when most smart phones were only 240 x 320 1/4 VGA.

We both read lots.

So really the only ones to avoid today are the larger than 8" (too heavy for many hours reading) or the Kindle Basic or the random brand 600 x 800 pixel models often with no touch. All the current 300 dpi screens are pretty good.

The PW4 and the Kobo Libra are I think the best choices for lots of reading with the Libra having the edge if you have an old Kindle registered on Amazon. Doesn't matter if lost or broken as long as still active on your account for Download via PC, not reported or blacklisted. The Serial number of it is in your Amazon Manage My Devices. Alf's Calibre plug-in is legal in many countries providing the ebook files are only for your own use and not distributed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:56 AM   #7
isaacbh
Connoisseur
isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Contrast can change between models, generations and even between units. I still read every day on the original H2O that I bought in 2015, and have no intention of "upgrading" any time soon. Best purchase ever.
isaacbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:10 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The Libra though has a far better screen than the Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Touch (worst for ghosting), Story book Cover (not HD), first Kindle Basic, PW2, Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1 and Sony PRS350, and Kindle Keyboard (AKA Kindle Gen 3) and even the Kindle PW4 (is that PW 2018).

The Original H20, while 267 dpi approx rather than 300 dpi, has the brightest in ambient light screen I've seen.

I saw the 1st 6" Sony sold in Ireland and tried it in a shop (Maybe their 2nd model) and would have bought it except I couldn't afford it. Wife also agreed that it was very very grey but also thought the only barrier was cost. This might have been before ANY Kindle or iPhone and when most smart phones were only 240 x 320 1/4 VGA.

We both read lots.

So really the only ones to avoid today are the larger than 8" (too heavy for many hours reading) or the Kindle Basic or the random brand 600 x 800 pixel models often with no touch. All the current 300 dpi screens are pretty good.

The PW4 and the Kobo Libra are I think the best choices for lots of reading with the Libra having the edge if you have an old Kindle registered on Amazon. Doesn't matter if lost or broken as long as still active on your account for Download via PC, not reported or blacklisted. The Serial number of it is in your Amazon Manage My Devices. Alf's Calibre plug-in is legal in many countries providing the ebook files are only for your own use and not distributed.
I believe that would have been the 3rd Sony Reader. The first was Japan only and the 2nd was USA only.

1st - Sony Librie EBR-1000EP
2nd - Sony Reader PRS-500
3rd - Sony Reader PRS-505
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:46 AM   #9
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
There is also an optical illusion that makes white bezel screens appear to have less contrast than black bezel screens. If you'd put a white libra next to a black libra you'd see this as well. For a proper side-by-side comparison you'd have to cover up the bezels.

Last edited by tourneur; 11-20-2020 at 02:52 AM.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glohd, libra