Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2024, 01:49 PM   #301
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I think a bigger problem with many of the reviews is that they weren't very technical. Most of them made no effort to match fonts when comparing devices. For better or worse, Kobo has replaced the old (and presumably e-ink optimized) 3rd party proprietary fonts with their own or completely free fonts.

The short of it is, the new default serif font looks much less saturated than the old one on screen, and the only way to properly compare an L2 and LC side by side, is by making sure you have the same font *and* the same font darkness setting by copying it from the conf file.
There's a recent video on YT (also posted on MR) that compares the screens of the Voyage, Libra 2, and Libra Color. The person used different fonts on the Voyage and Libra 2. We also don't know what the weight was set to. I would hope the weight was set to none to make it a fair comparison. To me, the comparison between the Voyage and Libra 2 failed for those reasons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:18 PM   #302
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspline View Post
I gotta retract myself as well.

Still have a lot to learn regarding converting AZW to EPUB, specifically for the Kobo.

I was very unimpressed with the results of my converted files, but when I downloaded a native, professionally produced Kobo EPUB, results were night and day.
You may want to try using the KindleUnpack plugin to convert AZW3/KF8 to ePub. To me, the results are superior to calibre's conversion and very close to the original ePub fed into the KDP pipeline.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2024, 06:54 PM   #303
Pen&Paper
Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite & Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I noticed when I peeled the screen protector off my LC, there was a residue left on the screen. Using an eyeglass cleaning wipe (smells like alcohol) cleaned the residue off.
In another thread, you said that you still didn't get your new Kobo Colour?...
Pen&Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:01 PM   #304
Pen&Paper
Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I think a bigger problem with many of the reviews is that they weren't very technical. Most of them made no effort to match fonts when comparing devices. For better or worse, Kobo has replaced the old (and presumably e-ink optimized) 3rd party proprietary fonts with their own or completely free fonts.

The short of it is, the new default serif font looks much less saturated than the old one on screen, and the only way to properly compare an L2 and LC side by side, is by making sure you have the same font *and* the same font darkness setting by copying it from the conf file.

Edit: Sure seems like it would have been a good time to add the popular Charis SIL or Char-Ink fonts....
I just got mine!

Yes, all the critics are true. And all the people who like their new Kobo Colour are also honest.

I looked for a brief moment at my Paperwhite to see where I was in the book I'm reading, so I can synch it manually with the Kobo Libra Colour. Yeah, the fonts are blacker, crispier and whatever. But the book also looks great on the Kobo. It's not worst or better, it's just different. I will not spend much time comparing. I think this is the best way to learn to like it.

One thing I like very much is that the Libra Colour is lighter.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:25 PM   #305
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I got my black Libre Colour with beige notebook cover today. Haven't sat for a reading session yet, or compared it to my other ereaders (the Clara 2e is by far the best I have). I got the font I wanted loaded, transferred some books, figured out how to get the covers to transfer in color, downloaded all my Kobo Plus books. Will sit down to read on it before bed. So far, I like it. (Waiting on my pen). Have highlighted some things in color! Opened a note but need the pen. Logged into dropbox and google. Not sure how much I will use them! Downloaded a library book that was already in the account. So far, so good! The case is really nice, when it's open, the back actually attaches magnetically to the case, I never had one do that before, I like it! Hope the pen I ordered work with it and fits in the case (it should). I didn't need a new ereader. But couldn't resist color!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2024, 08:20 PM   #306
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen&Paper View Post
In another thread, you said that you still didn't get your new Kobo Colour?...
After I wrote that, it was delivered on 2024-May-01 at 16:47 local time.

At which time, I opened it, did the basic setup, put a couple of kid's books on it which my oldest granddaughter liked though as usual, she wanted to taste test the books. After returning her to her parents, I finished the setup, copied some of my library over, noted the screen had something on it though I originally thought it was from the granddaughter until I needed to use one of my eyeglass cleaning wipes to remove it.

Overall, I am quite happy with it though my Sage is likely to remain my primary ereader. The Sage with it's 199cm² compared to the Libra Colour's 152cm² of screen area makes my eyes' preferred font size easier to use.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-02-2024 at 08:29 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:23 PM   #307
Pen&Paper

Quote:

At which time, I opened it, did the basic setup, put a couple of kid's books on it which my oldest granddaughter liked though as usual, she wanted to taste test the books. After returning her to her parents, I finished the setup, copied some of my library over, noted the screen had something on it though I originally thought it was from the granddaughter until I needed to use one of my eyeglass cleaning wipes to remove it.

Kids. 😅
Old 05-02-2024, 11:33 PM   #308
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
You may want to try using the KindleUnpack plugin to convert AZW3/KF8 to ePub. To me, the results are superior to calibre's conversion and very close to the original ePub fed into the KDP pipeline.
While I actually prefer the conversion (but that is after editing the original file and with some custom conversion settings). I modify the formatting of my ebooks often quite thoroughly, so the phrase "close to the original epub" has no value for me. As with everything, this is subjective as well.

Of course one must know what one does with both editing and converting, and what it is they want to achieve. No doubt conversion can produce worse results in some cases, with some settings and/or for some people.

Last edited by Sirtel; 05-03-2024 at 03:40 AM. Reason: typo
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 03:28 AM   #309
bspline
Enthusiast
bspline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPads and iPhones
Quote:
Thank you for the excellent tip. Books look way better, although for some reason the font size isn’t consistent across converted books and Kobo Ebooks.

Still having trouble with comics. Stuff that I’d bought on Comixology isn’t properly converting: images are bigger than the display, even using the KindleUnpack. They appear closer to the original if I use CBR/CBZ or PDF, but they don’t keep the correct aspect.

If anyone has more tips on how to solve this, I’d appreciate!
bspline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 03:35 AM   #310
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for the excellent tip. Books look way better, although for some reason the font size isn’t consistent across converted books and Kobo Ebooks.
Kepubs and epubs have a different base font size by default. There is a patch that fixes this, or you can send your sideloaded books as kepubs as well (by using kepubify or the KoboTouch Extended Driver).

Last edited by Sirtel; 05-03-2024 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:07 AM   #311
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:

Overall, I am quite happy with it though my Sage is likely to remain my primary ereader. The Sage with it's 199cm² compared to the Libra Colour's 152cm² of screen area makes my eyes' preferred font size easier to use.
Awe, cute story
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:28 AM   #312
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That's an issue with the calibre settings. calibre has a font map it uses to assign font sizes in CSS. You have to get rid of that. so you have no font map for converted eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:47 AM   #313
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's an issue with the calibre settings. calibre has a font map it uses to assign font sizes in CSS. You have to get rid of that. so you have no font map for converted eBooks.
I rather suspect it's kepub vs epub. I don't disable the calibre font map and have no such issue (I do use the patch for unified font sizes).
Old 05-03-2024, 10:55 AM   #314
Lordblacknail
Groupie
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Galaxy Tab S7 Plus Kobo Libre Colour
just got my libre colour. was supposed to show up on Monday, came Friday instead, cleaned the screen, loaded John Sandford, Uncle Scrooge and Little Annie Fanny. Will post updates. Had a Libre cover, the power is fine, but the on/off button is very deep in the case.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:11 AM   #315
Lordblacknail
Groupie
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Galaxy Tab S7 Plus Kobo Libre Colour
WOW!!!! The font is fine, the colors are muted but we knew that, Uncle Scrooge page fits page, the DK pdf's on Paris will need to be expanded to read the text, but the pictures are just fine the way they are. Absolutely no issue with reading, it looks as crisp to these old eyes as my Libre 2.
Not a technical blow by blow of every quark, but from a guy that reads three books a day, and has more than 30k books on my Kobo, this is the cats pajamas. Cool beans to have the covers in color, glad I spent the time to get decent ones. I guess I will need to buy a cover, but the ones I have will work fine for now. So glad I kissed Kindle goodbye.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote