Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-23-2023, 08:02 AM   #1
Deljah
Connoisseur
Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Android tablet
E-ink Kindle with text to soeech?

Can you recommend a kindle reader that has a text to speech function and an e ink screen that I can read in the sun?

I'm having no luck getting my android kindle app to read to me. Search function in this forum won't work...it keeps closing and won't take input...sorry if this is a redundant question.
Deljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
None of the new ones do it. I think the last eInk Kindle with TTS is the Kindle Keyboard 3 from 2010.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2023, 09:16 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
None of the new ones do it. I think the last eInk Kindle with TTS is the Kindle Keyboard 3 from 2010.
And DXG the same time, though old stock of DXG was sold by Amazon in 2013 or 2014.

Pocketbook on an Android phone does TTS very well.

There is Voice View on PW3 (with USB Audio) and later Kindles with BT. But it's a pain to use just for TTS compared to KK3, DXG (I've tried all 3) and Pocketbook works best.
It might support Adobe DRM?
But in any case if you buy a book, remove the DRM and make a backup or else you've only borrowed it, despite Amazon web page:
Quote:

Read Now
You own this item.
It's available on your Kindle apps and devices.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 10:29 AM   #4
Deljah
Connoisseur
Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Android tablet
Thanks for these replies! I do use the Pocketbook app for text to speech with epubs that don't have drm. I have a kindle unlimited subscription, and it seems that I can no longer download KU books, remove drm and convert to epub for TTS. Not sure what to do at this point.
Deljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 12:56 PM   #5
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
I use cool reader for non drmed books. I have the 2019 kindle . It has voiceview. Be warned bluetooth eats your battery. Tip for kindle for android. For side loaded books once you get to 2nd page it's reading. Hold then it will start doing continuous reading.
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2023, 01:37 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 7th Gen Kindles on up have VoiceView. via Bluetooth. You do have to install ViewView.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202051830
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote