Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-15-2023, 06:03 AM   #61
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've used the advanced settings on my Kobo to up the font weight. The problem here is that because the original photo is a screen grab and the background is white and the font black, the font looks more in your face then it does on the Kobo.

Here is a photo direct from the Libra 2. It will not be so in-your-face as the screen grab and easier to read.

Attachment 202040
To me, that is hard to read. The text is too close to the edges and the line height is too small.

That's one of the wonderful things about using an ereader though, isn't it? I can set the formatting to what is comfortable for me, and you can set it to what is comfortable for you. Everybody wins

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 06:41 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
To me, that is hard to read. The text is too close to the edges and the line height is too small.
The left/right margins and line-height can easily be changed. That's one of the benefits of a Kobo.

Quote:
That's one of the wonderful things about using an ereader though, isn't it? I can set the formatting to what is comfortable for me, and you can set it to what is comfortable for you. Everybody wins
Not if you have a Kindle. You only get three sets of fixed settings. The settings with the smallest margins and smallest line-height are too large (IMHO).

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-15-2023 at 06:44 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2023, 07:53 AM   #63
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I've used the advanced settings on my Kobo to up the font weight. The problem here is that because the original photo is a screen grab and the background is white and the font black, the font looks more in your face then it does on the Kobo.

Here is a photo direct from the Libra 2. It will not be so in-your-face as the screen grab and easier to read.

Attachment 202040
Still ugly.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 07:55 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Still ugly.
Not a chance.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:20 AM   #65
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not a chance.
And yet, it is ugly.
Advert
Old 06-15-2023, 11:09 AM   #66
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
End the spat now, please.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 02:40 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The thing is, you can see that a screen grab looks different enough to a photo of the screen. That's the point. So in this case, the photo is better then the screen grab.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:39 AM   #68
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
The left/right margins and line-height can easily be changed. That's one of the benefits of a Kobo.

Not if you have a Kindle. You only get three sets of fixed settings. The settings with the smallest margins and smallest line-height are too large (IMHO).
...and in my opinion, they are fine. Isn't variety a wonderful thing?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:50 AM   #69
mattcd216
Enthusiast
mattcd216 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 D01100
All,
Thank you for your inputs. I have found a Kobo Aura 2 on eBay. I’ve put a bright yellow case with floral stickers on it so it stands out and is easier to hold. We have loaned our first book from the local library, enlarged the font and set the front(back)light. She now has it - first user testing in progress!
All she has to do is open the case and tap to turn page. I do suspect there will be some touchscreen mishaps…
For context, she is 93 years old and has never owned (nor had an interest in) a mobile phone, so this is quite a big thing to get used to. Let’s see how it goes!

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3469.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	202068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3470.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	202069  
mattcd216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:51 AM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcd216 View Post
All,
Thank you for your inputs. I have found a Kobo Aura 2 on eBay. I’ve put a bright yellow case with floral stickers on it so it stands out and is easier to hold. We have loaned our first book from the local library, enlarged the font and set the front(back)light. She now has it - first user testing in progress!
All she has to do is open the case and tap to turn page. I do suspect there will be some touchscreen mishaps…
For context, she is 93 years old and has never owned (nor had an interest in) a mobile phone, so this is quite a big thing to get used to. Let’s see how it goes!

Matt
Good luck.
Old 06-16-2023, 11:30 AM   #71
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Wishing her the best with her reading.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 07:53 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcd216 View Post
All,

Matt
One thing to make the text better looking is to install the Better Hyphenation Dictionary. Install the US-EN one and it will help reduce the gaps.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252405