Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-14-2023, 05:09 PM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is a screen grab from my Libra 2 using a fairly large font and how good it looks. This is using ChareInk6SP (with the smaller space) and the better hyphenation dictionary.
Let it go, please. You've made your point; many times.

When someone needs to go cheap, using their own word, to keep pushing the champagne option is poor taste.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:16 PM   #47
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Here is a screen grab from my Libra 2 using a fairly large font and how good it looks. This is using ChareInk6SP (with the smaller space) and the better hyphenation dictionary.

Attachment 202029
Now that is ugly.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2023, 05:41 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Now that is ugly.
Not at all. It looks very good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:41 PM   #49
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Attachment 202029
Wow, how can you read like this? My eyes hurt when I saw the screenshot. I wouldn't be able to read like this.
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:46 PM   #50
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsharma View Post
Wow, how can you read like this? My eyes hurt when I saw the screenshot. I wouldn't be able to read like this.
Just from curiosity, what exactly is it about the screenshot you couldn't read?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2023, 05:55 PM   #51
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
In my personal view, reading with that font would have certainly irritated my eyes. It's just my perspective, but it does not look comfortable to read at all.
Don't take it personally.
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 06:13 PM   #52
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In my personal view, reading with that font would have certainly irritated my eyes. It's just my perspective, but it does not look comfortable to read at all.
Not at all. People use vastly different fonts, just as they read vastly different books and like vastly different foods.

The font in the screenshot is not my main reading font, but it's a close second. OTOH, Bookerly is the favorite of many posters here and I could never read with Bookerly at all.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:47 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is it the letters you don't like or is it the spacing. There is another version of ChareInk6 that has the original spacing so spaces are wider. Would that help?
Old 06-14-2023, 07:51 PM   #54
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
That font looks like it's screaming at me.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 07:57 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Yes, it's screaming READ ME!
Old 06-14-2023, 07:58 PM   #56
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You mean the size? That's grandma-size.

I like that font, although of course at a much smaller size. The size actually matters a lot. Some fonts look good at larger sizes, but not smaller, and vice versa.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:02 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Take a look at post #30 in this thread. There are two screen shots. One with a camera and one a screen grab. If you'll notice, they both look different.

I'll get a photo of my Libra 2 so you can see the difference.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:12 PM   #58
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
You mean the size? That's grandma-size.
No, it's way, way too bold for my eyes. Is that the default weight (for Bookerly)?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:31 PM   #59
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, it's way, way too bold for my eyes. Is that the default weight (for Bookerly)?
It's not Bookerly, and if it's the regular, unweighted ChareInk, it's by no means the default weight. There is another, weighted version of the font; if that's what is in the screenshot, it may be the default weight.

I do add a lot of weight to my fonts myself, too, but then my eyesight is pretty bad.
Old 06-15-2023, 05:52 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I've used the advanced settings on my Kobo to up the font weight. The problem here is that because the original photo is a screen grab and the background is white and the font black, the font looks more in your face then it does on the Kobo.

Here is a photo direct from the Libra 2. It will not be so in-your-face as the screen grab and easier to read.

Click image for larger version

Name:	libra2..jpg
Views:	128
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	202040