Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-08-2023, 09:38 AM   #1
mattcd216
Enthusiast
mattcd216 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 D01100
Get grandma reading again!

Ok I’m on a mission to get my gran with bad eyesight back in to the lovely world of books. I showed her my kobo nia with font enlarged and she was amazed.
Asking for suggestions that meet the following requirements:
  1. cheap (second hand, this will likely be mislaid often)
  2. magnetic sleep/wake case (minimal button pressing - arthritis)
  3. backlight
  4. uk library (overdrive) compatibile (not essential)

Thank you community!

Last edited by mattcd216; 06-08-2023 at 09:54 AM.
mattcd216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:08 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcd216 View Post
Ok I’m on a mission to get my gran with bad eyesight back in to the lovely world of books. I showed her my kobo nia with font enlarged and she was amazed.
Asking for suggestions that meet the following requirements:
  1. cheap (second hand, this will likely be mislaid often)
  2. magnetic sleep/wake case (minimal button pressing - arthritis)
  3. backlight
  4. uk library (overdrive) compatibile (not essential)

Thank you community!
In the other thread, I recommended a 7" Kobo Libra 2 because of the 7" screen and the better contrast. A 6" screen may very well be too small for someone with bad eyesight. Sure you can make the font larger on a 6" screen, but it may not look good.

Plus you'll find most old Kobo are not Overdrive compatible.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-08-2023 at 11:15 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2023, 11:39 AM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
My mom is 76 and I gave her a 6" Nook Glowlight 3 and she loves it. Larger screens are nice, but don't think 6" won't agree with old eyes, especially if cost is a consideration.

Why not look for an older Kobo? The models listed below all have lighted screens, sleep covers and work with Overdrive in the UK (thank you for mentioning location. It makes it SO much easier!).

Except for the Nia, these are all older model Kobos that have been replaced by newer models. You should be able to find these used on eBay for a reasonable price:
  • Kobo Nia
  • Kobo Aura edition 2
  • Kobo Clara HD
  • Kobo Aura H2O edition 2
  • Kobo Libra H2O

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-08-2023 at 11:42 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:55 AM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Some ereaders can switch to a landscape display; longer lines of text would help when using a large font. The Libra H2O, for example.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:51 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
My mom is 76 and I gave her a 6" Nook Glowlight 3 and she loves it. Larger screens are nice, but don't think 6" won't agree with old eyes, especially if cost is a consideration.

Why not look for an older Kobo? The models listed below all have lighted screens, sleep covers and work with Overdrive in the UK (thank you for mentioning location. It makes it SO much easier!).

Except for the Nia, these are all older model Kobos that have been replaced by newer models. You should be able to find these used on eBay for a reasonable price:
  • Kobo Nia
  • Kobo Aura edition 2
  • Kobo Clara HD
  • Kobo Libra H2O
Sure you can make the font size large enough. But large enough could look terrible on a 6" screen. Go for a 7" screen and no need to worry if it'll be good enough as it will be good enough.
Advert
Old 06-08-2023, 01:52 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Some ereaders can switch to a landscape display; longer lines of text would help when using a large font. The Libra H2O, for example.
Reading landscape is not good (IMHO). Plus it's not nearly as easy to hold.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:26 PM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wow, no one corrected "backlight" to "frontlight?"

Sometimes I miss the simple, innocent pedantry of the old days. :-)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 02:40 PM   #8
mattcd216
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

ha very good point!
Old 06-08-2023, 02:40 PM   #9
mattcd216
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

• Kobo Nia
  • Kobo Aura edition 2
  • Kobo Clara HD
  • Kobo Libra H2O
This is great, thank you
Old 06-08-2023, 02:43 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

With large text, a 6" screen leave much more chance for wide gaps then a 7" screen.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:55 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcd216 View Post
ha very good point!
I noticed it but since a non-tech question, I let it go. I mean, you can only say that an eInk screen is opaque and so needs to be lit from the front so many times.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 04:57 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With large text, a 6" screen leave much more chance for wide gaps then a 7" screen.
Ah, but if you read using left justified text, that is not a worry. Since no eInk ereader is capable of microjustication at this point in time, there is no other fix.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 06:38 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Ah, but if you read using left justified text, that is not a worry. Since no eInk ereader is capable of microjustication at this point in time, there is no other fix.
ePub does variable space better then KePub.

But one point that was pointed out int he other thread was buttons. If buttons would be better for Grandma, then the Libra 2 is it.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:41 PM   #14
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
As someone who's only a decade younger than "grandma," regarding any case/cover selected, I recommend something in a bright color, or distinctive pattern, as I misplace stuff more than I like to admit, and something that stands out is far easier for me to find. Even if you have to "mod" it for her, that might help.

Since you may be buying secondhand, look for listings that include a case with the device. As devices age, it often becomes more difficult to find a sleep/wake cover for them.

A larger screen is very nice, but not essential if you have to keep costs down. I think the front light IS essential for older eyes.

Good luck and I think if you can find the right reader, your grandma will LOVE being able to read again!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:35 AM   #15
mattcd216
Enthusiast

@graycyn really appreciate the advice, thank you.

I think an kobo Clara HD needs to be found

Matt