Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-04-2023, 04:49 PM   #1
oskardotglobal
oskardotglobal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
E-Reader for sideloading (OPDS?)

So my Kindle PW3 recently died (rip) and I'd like to get a new dedicated E-Book reader.

I mostly read books from my Calibre library and I found send-to-kindle to be a bit clunky so I don't think a kindle would be the right thing for me, and even though I can sideload the books via USB I'd prefer not to. I also have calibre-web set up for my library and was thinking that maybe there's a reader which supports OPDS so I can download books from my library directly onto the device. Storage isn't a concern here as I just delete books I read.

A quick search e-readers found me:
- the Kobo Nia
- the 2022 Kindle or (although I really don't know if I wanna get a kindle again)
- the Tolino Shine
- the Tolino Page 2

Does anyone own these devices and sideloads books? What is your experience? Any other recommendations?
oskardotglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:01 PM   #2
oskardotglobal

Edit: just realised Koreader supports OPDS on jailbroken kindles & kobos, is that any good?
also, this is not really that important, its just a little novelty
Advert
Old 06-04-2023, 08:02 PM   #3
veysey
Enthusiast
veysey doesn't litterveysey doesn't litter

Device: Sony ?
I'm new to Koreader (a few weeks) but rather like it. Haven't tried it for OPDS. AFAIK you likely could not get it on a new kindle, as I don't think jailbreaks exist. But it works nicely on my PW3 (sorry).
veysey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:56 AM   #4
oskardotglobal

Sounds like the Kobo Nia is my best bet, anyone own one? Is it any good?
edit: so I've seen there's also experimental support for tolinos, did anyone ever try that?

Last edited by oskardotglobal; 06-05-2023 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:48 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
A Libra 2 is much nicer than a Nia. But the Nia, despite less than 300 dpi screen, is superior to all older Kindle basics and PW3. My grand-daughter has one and is very attached to it.

I have, or have had, or used, seven different Kobo models including the Nia. I still have Libra, Libra 2, Sage and Elipsa. My favourite for reading and notes is the Sage. I'd still use the original Libra in a stand when recording an audio book.

I had KOReader on the Elipsa till Kobo improved the PDF support. I use KOReader on my Android based Mars eink as it's stock ereader is terrible for epub, though good for PDFs.

I think "wireless" loading is pointless. I prefer USB management via Calibre.

Since I fix any "broken" ebooks in Calibre I have no need for KOReader's overides and find its folder based management totally inferior to Kobo's My Books and Search (using Unread, reading, finished, recent, author, title, Collections and series).

I do have a server at home running 24x7, but I've no interest in using with ebooks other than to have a backup. It does feed a basic "digital cable TV station" in HD on UHF on the home distribution system. I also used to have a Wiki on it, but that's been abandoned.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2023, 01:58 PM   #6
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Don't new Kindles still have a browser that can directly download from the calibre web server, like the old ones?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:25 PM   #7
oskardotglobal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A Libra 2 is much nicer than a Nia. But the Nia, despite less than 300 dpi screen, is superior to all older Kindle basics and PW3. My grand-daughter has one and is very attached to it.
I figured there's readers nicer than a nia, but its almost twice as expensive so idk. I could afford either but don't know if its worth it - how long have you had your Libra? I do read quite a lot (if I have something to read)

Quote:
I think "wireless" loading is pointless. I prefer USB management via Calibre.
I was wondering about this since I can't sideload books whilst travelling (unless I can transfer the books to my device from an android phone, is that a thing?). I don't really have a problem with USB, the only actual requirement is that I need a way to transfer books to the device for obvious reasons.
Old 06-05-2023, 04:49 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Libra since close to release and Libra 2 a bit longer after release. I bought the Nia for the young lady as it's cheap. If she takes a serious notion to write I'll maybe get her a Sage.

It will take me years to read the ebooks on any of my ereaders.

Yes, if your Android phone has a filemanager and OTG host mode a €6 adaptor will let you copy. I've also used the Web browser on an eink (forget the model) to download via WiFi from a Website and many Android phones can be WiFi Hotspots, but download to phone then USB transfer works better (tested with my Android tablet).

Even a Nia has enough space for about 5 years of reading a complete book every 2 or 3 days.
I've about 6,000 on my Sage and estimate of free space suggests 17,000 to 25,000 ebooks possible depending on size, illustrations etc.

My eyes are needing the reading glasses and I find the 7″ to 8″ best. The 6″ is too small and 9.7″ or 10.3″ is too big and heavy.
I do have a 5″ old Sony PRS-350 and replaced now with a newish 4.7″ (no touch, Y-Ben P47L) for leaving in the jacket pocket in case unexpectedly hanging about.

Last edited by Quoth; 06-05-2023 at 04:54 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:30 PM   #9
oskardotglobal

Quote:
Even a Nia has enough space for about 5 years of reading a complete book every 2 or 3 days.
I've about 6,000 on my Sage and estimate of free space suggests 17,000 to 25,000 ebooks possible depending on size, illustrations etc.
Jeez I don't even have a hundred books in my calibre library and 2-3 days for a book is incredibly fast.

Quote:
Yes, if your Android phone has a filemanager and OTG host mode a €6 adaptor will let you copy.
Ok, perfect. Don't know yet if I should get the Libra 2 or the Nia, probably gonna think about it for a bit and then decide
Old 06-05-2023, 05:49 PM   #10
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The main benefit of the Libra is that you can hold it with one hand and turn pages with the physical buttons. Even if you don't use the buttons, the grip is nice. If you prefer to hold it like a phone or tablet, then the Nia will work fine, although I'd get the Clara for the better screen and warm light.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:08 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oskardotglobal View Post
Does anyone own these devices and sideloads books? What is your experience? Any other recommendations?
This is the first time I've heard of the term OPDS, but if the books are DRM free just about any ePub eReader will sideload them.

For downloading DRM books from the library, you might want to look into PocketBook as they have ADE (some form of it) built into their readers (same as Tolino). In the U.S. I can buy books directly with my PocketBook or borrow them from Overdrive via its web browser. The PocketBooks also have DropBox support built-in (which I've never used).

You can also install KoReader on PocketBooks (which I've also never used).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:13 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oskardotglobal View Post
Ok, perfect. Don't know yet if I should get the Libra 2 or the Nia, probably gonna think about it for a bit and then decide
You might want to look at a Clara. It's got a good screen like the Libra, but it's six inch like the Nia. A refurbished Clara HD might be close in price to a Nia. But even a new Clara SE would be cheaper than a Libra 2.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:44 AM   #13
oskardotglobal

Ok so from what I've gathered most Tolinos are pretty much rebranded Kobos (the Wiki says this about the shine 3 / clara 2e but all the other devices look very similar too)
As they're available cheaper and more commonly here in Germany I'll probably just get a Tolino, maybe a used Vision (Libra). Does anyone know the differences in software between Kobo and Tolino? Are there any?
Old 06-06-2023, 05:10 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The software is quite different, but you'll have to wait for someone else to give more information about it. Kobos are more customizable. I don't know if you can even use KOReader on a Tolino.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 05:51 AM   #15
oskardotglobal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I don't know if you can even use KOReader on a Tolino.
If the software is decent enough, there's no need for KOReader.