Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-04-2023, 02:56 PM   #1
veysey
Enthusiast
veysey doesn't litterveysey doesn't litter

Device: Sony ?
Which Kobo?

Hi - My last post was 13 years ago. Wow. Since then I have enjoyed a lot of books on my Sony PRS-505 and then PW3. I recently rooted the PW3 to install KOreader (mostly read epubs), collection management, and to display the current book cover. (Thanks: Mobileread!)

I liked it so much that I got to looking at hardware (with a bigger screen). I have largely converged on Kobo for its integration with Calibre (thanks: Kovid!), ability to run koreader, and more open nature (boo: Amazon).

I am posting to crowdsource 3 questions:
1. Should I consider anything other than Kobo? Hardware-wise the newest PW is nice.
2. Should I get a 7" or 8" screen? (leaning toward 7")
3. Any reason not to get a refurbed Libra H2O or Forma? I like buying refurbished and am comfortable taking my chances, but would pay for things that are much better.

(Likes: Color adjustable backlight, auto dimming (I know Kobo doesn't do this), page turn buttons, flush or small bezel, waterproof, usb-c)
veysey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 03:19 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'm not much help. I've stuck with 6"screens. But the Libra 2 seems to be one of the best readers Kobo has ever put out. It seems to garner a lot of praise.

Do Kindles need to be jailbroken to install KOReader? If so, be aware you may not be able to do that.

KOReader on a Kobo is no biggie. On the other hand, the things you liked: collection management, and to display the current book cover are things that will work in regular Kobo Nickle firmware out of the box.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2023, 03:25 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
As to getting a refurb:

Libra 2 vs Libra H2O - the screen on the Libra 2 is better, but the Libra H2O is thinner, weighs less and (IMO) is more ergonomic. The Libra 2 has 32 GB storage, the Libra H2O 8 GB. The Libra 2 has USB-C. You decide which of those things are more important to you. Otherwise they're identical (I've had both; sold Libra H2O and kept Libra 2, because I loved the screen on the latter).

Sage vs Forma - the Forma is considerably thinner and lighter, and has a plastic-backed Mobius screen (harder to crack). The Sage is faster (newer processor), the screen is somewhat better and it has USB-C. Plus you can use a pen. Again, it's your decision.

Last edited by Sirtel; 06-04-2023 at 03:31 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 04:01 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Do Kindles need to be jailbroken to install KOReader?
Yes.

Quote:
If so, be aware you may not be able to do that.
There is no jailbreak at this time for current firmwares.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 04:08 PM   #5
Connoisseur
305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boox Leaf 7"
Clara 2E and Libra 2 have a very annoying seemingly unfixable bug with KOReader - https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/9806

It's much more manageable after disabling notifications but still something to keep in mind if you are getting a Kobo for KOReader.
305869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2023, 07:03 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by veysey View Post
Hi - My last post was 13 years ago. Wow. Since then I have enjoyed a lot of books on my Sony PRS-505 and then PW3. I recently rooted the PW3 to install KOreader (mostly read epubs), collection management, and to display the current book cover. (Thanks: Mobileread!)

I liked it so much that I got to looking at hardware (with a bigger screen). I have largely converged on Kobo for its integration with Calibre (thanks: Kovid!), ability to run koreader, and more open nature (boo: Amazon).

I am posting to crowdsource 3 questions:
1. Should I consider anything other than Kobo? Hardware-wise the newest PW is nice.
2. Should I get a 7" or 8" screen? (leaning toward 7")
3. Any reason not to get a refurbed Libra H2O or Forma? I like buying refurbished and am comfortable taking my chances, but would pay for things that are much better.

(Likes: Color adjustable backlight, auto dimming (I know Kobo doesn't do this), page turn buttons, flush or small bezel, waterproof, usb-c)
I went from a PRS-T1 to the Kobo Aura H2O with a 6.8" screen. I really liked the larger screen. I now have a Kobo Libra 2 and I would say that it's an excellent upgrade from Sony Readers. The hardware is much better and the screen is very nice. Plus the firmware is so much better then even a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:06 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305869 View Post
Clara 2E and Libra 2 have a very annoying seemingly unfixable bug with KOReader - https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/9806

It's much more manageable after disabling notifications but still something to keep in mind if you are getting a Kobo for KOReader.
I know what that thread says. But I have used KOReader on my Libra 2 and it's not freezing. I know I'm not up to the latest version and the version I have is oldish. But it works.

And Nickel is not freezing or booting on me. I'm not having these troubles.

But I've not used KOReader in some time. I'm finding I'm doing just fine with RMSDK (ePub) and the occasional KePub.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:07 PM   #8
veysey
Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in. This is very helpful and informative. In reading these replies I was first set on the Libra 2 (I put a lot of stock in screen quality!), then worried (reported KOReader bug), then hopeful (JSWolf's experiences). All valuable perspectives.

Off to read the github issue report. Cheers +thanks!
Old 06-04-2023, 08:20 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I'm also a big fan of the Libra 2 and have never regretted buying mine. Once it had the patches on it, it did all I could want. I'm totally non-techie and had a LOT of help from members of mobileread re the patches.

Maybe you could hang around here more often.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:50 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who has chimed in. This is very helpful and informative. In reading these replies I was first set on the Libra 2 (I put a lot of stock in screen quality!), then worried (reported KOReader bug), then hopeful (JSWolf's experiences). All valuable perspectives.
A real question is once you have a Kobo, will you need KOReader at all? When you get a Kobo, it might be woirth your while to just try Nickle (the stock Kobo software) for a little bit. You may be surprised.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:53 AM   #11
Connoisseur
305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boox Leaf 7"
The only problem with the stock for me is that you can't highlight text in PDF books. At least I couldn't figure out how to. If you don't use PDFs then the stock is quite good.

Quote:

The bug happens rarely after you disable notifications. You can go several days without it happening. When it does happen, a hard reboot is all you need to get back to reading. It takes 1 minute. So it's not a dealbreaker (for me at least) but just something to consider.
305869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:37 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

IMHO, you really don't have to worry about KOReader because (IMHO) you don't actually need it with a new Kobo.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:45 AM   #13
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
IMHO, you really don't have to worry about KOReader because (IMHO) you don't actually need it with a new Kobo.
+1 = I've never needed it with my Libra 2, or missed it
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:19 PM   #14
veysey
Enthusiast

Thanks to the recent posters as well. You are probably right in that I will no longer need koreader to read things. I sort of favored it b/c it's open source and I value a consistent interface across devices, but that is weak reasoning. Nonetheless, good to hear that it generally works, especially if I turn notifications off. Can't really imagine needing them; I usually keep wifi off and load via USB.

Cheers and thanks again everyone. Definitely getting a Kobo, and it will likely be the Libra 2 over the H20 or Forma. Cheers!

(and yes, I'll try to hang out on mobile read a little more. I have gotten a lot out of the forums even though I seldom post. I love the custom publications of public domain work ...)
Old 07-20-2023, 10:38 PM   #15
ausGeoff
Enthusiast
ausGeoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Thanks to the recent posters as well. You are probably right in that I will no longer need koreader to read things. I sort of favored it b/c it's open source and I value a consistent interface across devices, but that is weak reasoning. Nonetheless, good to hear that it generally works, especially if I turn notifications off. Can't really imagine needing them; I usually keep wifi off and load via USB.

Cheers and thanks again everyone. Definitely getting a Kobo, and it will likely be the Libra 2 over the H20 or Forma. Cheers!

(and yes, I'll try to hang out on mobile read a little more. I have gotten a lot out of the forums even though I seldom post. I love the custom publications of public domain work ...)
Did you end up with the Libra 2 or the Forma?

I've just bought a Libra 2 after my H20 packed it in after 4 years.
I'm more than happy with a 7" screen with the bonus of blue light
reduction. Funny thing though... my muscle memory still has me
tapping the screen to turn the page despite the dedicated physical
buttons. That's after 4 years with the H20 I guess.

I didn't think the extra 80 bucks was worth it for the 8" Forma.
ausGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote