Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-24-2023, 01:26 PM   #16
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you check that the Scribed app will run on Android 8.1?
According to Google Play, it works on 5.0 and up. And I can always try side-loading older APKs if necessary. My biggest concern is that the page turns are going to be painfully slow and stuttery. I don't know what my tolerance is going to be for that. We'll see.

Last edited by Desertway; 05-24-2023 at 01:31 PM.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 04:46 PM   #17
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
My biggest concern is that the page turns are going to be painfully slow and stuttery.
Not necessarily.
A halfway intelligent reader app will format and cache the next page while you read the current page.
Jumping around randomly could be slower.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2023, 05:49 PM   #18
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The problem with Android e-paper devices is that most programs on Google Play are not designed for e-paper and will have terrible performance with unnecessary ghosting, because they assume you're using an LCD. If Scribd is optimised for e-paper, then you could potentially have a great experience, but if it's not, it could be terrible, and it wouldn't be the device's fault.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 08:31 PM   #19
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The problem with Android e-paper devices is that most programs on Google Play are not designed for e-paper and will have terrible performance with unnecessary ghosting, because they assume you're using an LCD. If Scribd is optimised for e-paper, then you could potentially have a great experience, but if it's not, it could be terrible, and it wouldn't be the device's fault.
All true. Some people, though, use Scribd and Libby on eInk Androids happily. But again, there are different levels of tolerance. Another option might be to use InkBro, the eInk browser, as one can read Scribd books on the web. I'll report back eventually.
Old 05-25-2023, 02:23 AM   #20
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The problem with Android e-paper devices is that most programs on Google Play are not designed for e-paper and will have terrible performance with unnecessary ghosting, because they assume you're using an LCD.
Incorrect.
It's up to the operating system to take care of it.
The problem is that many applications contain animations and EInk is too slow for them - it doesn't look very good.
In this case you just choose those in which something like that does not occur or where they can be switched off

Last edited by ottischwenk; 05-25-2023 at 02:55 AM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2023, 04:26 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Incorrect.
The problem is that many applications contain animations and EInk is too slow for them - it doesn't look very good.
In this case you just choose those in which something like that does not occur or where they can be switched off
But in this case, there is no other app to choose. The idea is to use the Scribed app to read from Scribed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:32 AM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Incorrect.
You just restated what the previous user said while also saying that person was incorrect.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:42 AM   #23
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you do multiple graphic operations directly to the screen there could be big differences between updating a LCD screen vs naively updating an eInk screen.

Although I haven't dived into how all the reader apps work, I presume that they all compose a new page in an off-screen bitmap then draw that bitmap to the screen in a single operation. Not making any accomodation for eInk shouldn't make a difference.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:02 AM   #24
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You just restated what the previous user said
No - read it
Quote:
while also saying that person was incorrect.
Yes - his reasoning was wrong.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:31 PM   #25
Desertway
Addict

So I got the little 6" reader from Temu that was linked above. It took a little over a week to get here from China. Not bad. It's made by Boyue/Likebook/Meebook and runs Android 8.1 and has Google Play already activated.

I wanted it primarily for Scribd ebooks. It works, but with some compromises which did not surprise me. Scribd has page turn animations which can't be turned off. I knew that this was going to be an issue. It isn't too distracting in A2 mode, but A2 loses so much contrast that the text is quite faded. THAT would not be a problem if only Scribe offered a bold font, which it does not. So either it's slow page turns or faded text. Generally, I've chosen faded text which doesn't bother me much in the daytime, but my tired eyes can't really handle it at night.

Libby also has page turn animations, but with a bold font it works fine in A2 mode

Kindle (which I don't need because I have an Oasis) also works in A2 mode with the Ember bold font. In regular mode the page turns are too slow, even with page turn animations turned off.

KoReader works beautifully all the way around.

This little guy also has (VERY LOUD) speakers so I tried out my radio app and Audible. Both work great, though I can't imagine using this over my phone for audio.

Now the bad part. The unit I received was defective. The far left side of the screen was completely unresponsive to touch. I was able to work around it to get everything working, but it's not acceptable in the long run. I'm returning it, and have another unit on order. The funny thing is that I got a great coupon and the new unit only cost me $30. I can't complain at that price (assuming the new unit works properly).

Last edited by Desertway; 06-09-2023 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 06:48 PM   #26
Renate
Wizard

Page turn animations (on any device, not just eink) are the stupidest invention ever.
You could probably delete everything in res/anim and resign the app.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:22 PM   #27
Desertway
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Page turn animations (on any device, not just eink) are the stupidest invention ever.
You know, I've been (ignorantly) poking around inside the APK to see if it might be possible to add a bold font. I got nowhere.

So now I went ahead and looked to see if I could find res/anim. Unfortunately, they must be doing it differently, because that directory doesn't exist. At least not in my unzipped APK on my PC.
Old 06-10-2023, 10:03 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Yes, they should be a default off option if they exist at all.

I'm not sure if the stupidest invention ever, but certainly on the short list to vote on that.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 03:24 PM   #29
Desertway
Addict

I received the second unit which is working perfectly. $29.25, free shipping. Longevity is yet to be seen.
Old 07-16-2023, 07:32 AM   #30
WarrenUK
WarrenUK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
I received the second unit which is working perfectly. $29.25, free shipping. Longevity is yet to be seen.
Hi.

Are you still enjoying your Cappsu ereader? I'm looking for an Android ereader that can run Koreader. There are a few Cappsu ereaders left on Temu UK website. But it is £50. How did you manage to get your discount? Is it just random?

Thanks.
WarrenUK is offline   Reply With Quote