Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-18-2023, 06:53 AM   #31
Gormagon
monstrous mythical beast
Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tab Ultra C, Meebook P78 Pro, TCL 40Nxtpaper, TCL Nxtpaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Basically, for size and weight reasons, I use:

(list of six e-readers)
And the price for the person with the most e-readers goes to…or does anyone have more, which they all still use?

I only have two e-readers: Meebook P78 Pro (bought last year) and the Tab Ultra C, just recently bought.
The reasons for the second one were greater screen, colour, have a closer look at the Onyx Android system and their implementations for reading, writing et cetera. Plus I wanted to get the keyboard, flip cover and extra nips for short under 50 Euros more.

Actually I have more tablets than e-readers and still read a lot more on a tablet than on the Meebook. Maybe that'll change with the Tab Ultra C now.
Gormagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:04 AM   #32
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormagon View Post
And the price for the person with the most e-readers goes to…or does anyone have more, which they all still use?
Actually I have more tablets than e-readers and still read a lot more on a tablet than on the Meebook. Maybe that'll change with the Tab Ultra C now.
On the other hand, I only have a €50 China tablet (Android 8.1) that I hardly ever use.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2023, 12:05 PM   #33
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I think this is due to those soft touch (rubbery feeling) plastic coatings breaking down over time.
Had this with my Simple Touch. I bought covers for all the ereaders just because of this. The guy who bought mine as a replacement had the same issue with his damaged one, so not rare. He had a cover for it apparently, so win-win.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 12:22 PM   #34
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast
PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 5, Kobo Scribe, Kindle app on iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Shovelfuls of retired ereaders
PlatinumWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 12:25 PM   #35
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast
PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 5, Kobo Scribe, Kindle app on iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
For me it’s about using the right screen at the right time, which Whispersync on Kindles makes quite easy.
Yes, I hear that. I have my issues with Amazon and Kindle, but there are things they do very effectively and efficiently.
PlatinumWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2023, 09:44 AM   #36
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
Hey, thanks to everyone who had experience dealing with the gummy plastic ― it didn't occur to me that it might be a remediable condition! Some weekend when I am feeling ambitious I'll try the suggestions and see if I can make my Inkbook Obsidian pleasant to hold again! :-D
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 08:22 AM   #37
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I started with Nok in 2010. Got mad at their customer service and went to Kindle. I got KOBO for I was curious and wanted an easier way to rent library books
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 11:06 AM   #38
Connoisseur
305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boox Leaf 7"
I ordered a Boox Leaf and it arrived with a defect. So I sent it back for a replacement. I was on holiday when I got it since they don't ship to my country, and was really bummed out about not having an ereader on the flight back which I was really looking forward to, so I bought a Kobo Libra 2 that was on discount and figured I'd request a refund for the Boox. But I have no self control so I ended up just getting the replacement and keeping it
305869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:52 PM   #39
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumWarlock View Post
Would you tell me WHY you have multiples? What’s the benefit? Different books from different vendors? Different functionality? Changed brands over the years but kept your old readers?
Trying to find one that suits me best.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:59 AM   #40
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305869 View Post
I ordered a Boox Leaf and it arrived with a defect. So I sent it back for a replacement. I was on holiday when I got it since they don't ship to my country, and was really bummed out about not having an ereader on the flight back which I was really looking forward to, so I bought a Kobo Libra 2 that was on discount and figured I'd request a refund for the Boox. But I have no self control so I ended up just getting the replacement and keeping it
My Leaf 2 started suffering from screen degradation. It turned yellow around the edges, so I had to send it in for repair. Luckily, I, too, have a Libra 2 to use in the meantime

If they would have made the white Leaf 2 faster and with better QC (better buttons, sturdier construction) it could've been my only e-reader. At least in the sub-10"-super-5" category.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:07 PM   #41
Connoisseur
305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
My Leaf 2 started suffering from screen degradation. It turned yellow around the edges, so I had to send it in for repair. Luckily, I, too, have a Libra 2 to use in the meantime

If they would have made the white Leaf 2 faster and with better QC (better buttons, sturdier construction) it could've been my only e-reader. At least in the sub-10"-super-5" category.
Yeah, my biggest complaints with the Leaf is how sluggish it is compared to the Libra 2 and how "fluorescent" the lights are no matter what ratio you set it to. If it had the Libra's responsiveness and frontlight it would be the perfect reader for me.

Did you send it to Onyx for repair? Or a different place?
Old 05-23-2023, 02:13 PM   #42
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Yeah, my biggest complaints with the Leaf is how sluggish it is compared to the Libra 2 and how "fluorescent" the lights are no matter what ratio you set it to. If it had the Libra's responsiveness and frontlight it would be the perfect reader for me.

Did you send it to Onyx for repair? Or a different place?
It definitely is sluggish, which is quite annoying. But it's mostly unnoticeable when reading, having opened the dictionary once (the first time it's slow to start..).

The screen, to my surprise, was sharper on the Leaf 2 compared to the Libra 2. Hopefully, that will still be the case after the screen replacement.

No, I didn't have to deal with Onyx at all. I bought it from a European company and only dealt with them. I didn't want to order directly from Onyx as I've heard that their customer service isn't very good.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 02:40 PM   #43
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Yeah, my biggest complaints with the Leaf is how sluggish it is compared to the Libra 2 and how "fluorescent" the lights are no matter what ratio you set it to.
I find the Onyx front light controls a disaster. I have a little app for setting them more easily (in my sig). My personal reader app has that built in. Also, I never touch the settings, I leave it at 30% which is not visible when it's bright but enough to read by at night. It really doesn't take all that much current.

As far as sluggishness goes, check out the various display modes in Eink center.
Also, double check that the physical buttons act when you press them (vs when you release them).
Waiting until you release allows the differentiation between short and long press, but it wrecks havoc on (perceivable) reaction time.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 03:28 PM   #44
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
It definitely is sluggish, which is quite annoying. But it's mostly unnoticeable when reading, having opened the dictionary once (the first time it's slow to start..).

The screen, to my surprise, was sharper on the Leaf 2 compared to the Libra 2. Hopefully, that will still be the case after the screen replacement.

No, I didn't have to deal with Onyx at all. I bought it from a European company and only dealt with them. I didn't want to order directly from Onyx as I've heard that their customer service isn't very good.
Exactly, the sluggishness is not an issue when reading. And even though I jump back and forth in some books between the index and current page I got used to it pretty fast. I only notice it when I pull out my Libra to do something and see how much faster it is.

My experience with Onyx customer support was good. They responded fast and arranged the replacement at no cost to me. However I wish I could have gotten the screen replaced locally instead of having to send it in, but any repair shop I went they had no clue what they were looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I find the Onyx front light controls a disaster. I have a little app for setting them more easily (in my sig). My personal reader app has that built in. Also, I never touch the settings, I leave it at 30% which is not visible when it's bright but enough to read by at night. It really doesn't take all that much current.

As far as sluggishness goes, check out the various display modes in Eink center.
Also, double check that the physical buttons act when you press them (vs when you release them).
Waiting until you release allows the differentiation between short and long press, but it wrecks havoc on (perceivable) reaction time.
I don't see anything in your signature. Could you link it to me? I tried an app called Onyx Gentle Glow but I couldn't get it to work to control the lights after a restart.

I do use the faster refresh modes for browser and such. But I find the text too fuzzy on anything other than normal or regal mode.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:39 PM   #45
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Click on "Renate" and "Visit Renate's homepage!"
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote