Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-14-2023, 10:15 PM   #1
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast
PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 5, Kobo Scribe, Kindle app on iOS
To those of you who have multiple readers…

Would you tell me WHY you have multiples? What’s the benefit? Different books from different vendors? Different functionality? Changed brands over the years but kept your old readers?

I’ve been a Kindle user from the beginning, although I most often read via the Kindle app on my iPad since I’m always carrying it around anyway. But I’m wondering if I’m missing something by not trying other devices.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
PlatinumWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 11:00 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
As for me, pure gadget lust. I have had multiple ereaders for many years, just because I've liked them. First I had Kindles, then Kobos (I like the Kobo software better, so now I have only Kobos) and even a Nook once. The Nook software I liked the least (too few options), so it's not likely I'll buy another Nook in the near future. I might buy another Kindle, but it's by no means sure. Only if they release some wonderful hardware.

I've alway bought my books from several different vendors (Amazon, Kobo, Google Play being the main ones) and read them on every one of my devices, thanks to Calibre and the noDRM plugin. It's not hard to convert books to suitable formats.

There are no particular benefits in multiple readers vs single. If you feel satisfied with only a single device, good for you.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2023, 11:29 PM   #3
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast
PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 5, Kobo Scribe, Kindle app on iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As for me, pure gadget lust.
Haha - yeah, I get that.
PlatinumWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 12:49 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Basically, for size and weight reasons, I use:
1 10.3-inch Notes device with SD card as garden/sun computer with BT keyboard and mouse (Boox Tab Ultra C)
1 10.3-inch Notes device with SD card for scores + markings (Likebook Alita)
1 7.8-inch Notes device with SD card for Notes (Likebook Ares)
1 7-inch device with SD card for reading at home (Boox Leaf 2)
1 6-inch device with SD card für travelling (Boox Poke 5)
1 5.2-inch device for on the go (InkPalm 5, 115g)
For the rest I've found something more suitable (see above) or it's outdated

Last edited by ottischwenk; 05-15-2023 at 12:54 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 12:55 AM   #5
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I started out with a Kindle 2. I loved it - it was white, had a physical keyboard and nice page turn buttons. The reason I later switched to a PW3 was because I wanted a touch screen to be able to quicker look up words and because my K2 didn't support other non-latin scripts.

I would probably have stayed on the PW3 had I not found the dictionaries lacking for certain languages. And after hearing about Android powered readers I ordered one and was delighted to find out that I could basically find dictionaries for any language I wanted using 3rd party apps.

Then I heard that Hisense had e-ink phones. I had always dreamed about having an e-ink phone, so I bought one - the A5 Pro. I used it as my main phone until the A9 came out; I bought it and switched to using that as my main phone. Portable reading, music and podcasts with me everywhere! And phone functionality should I need it.

I also bought a Libra 2 and a Kindle Voyage since one of the problems with modern e-ink devices is screen clarity and contrast. And lack of page turn buttons. I heard many good things about those two and I wanted to try them out. Great devices - I just wish they would have equally good Android alternatives. Well, the Leaf 2 came out and I bought that as an improved Libra 2 - but the screen turned out to be defective. Waiting for it to be repaired.

I will buy more readers: I want a 10" now that they have 300 PPI. Sometime in the future I'd also love a 13" reader with 300 PPI and possibly colour to read comics on. And please, page turn buttons!
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2023, 04:16 AM   #6
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3, PW5
I just like e-readers.

My first Kindle was the K2. When I purchased the K3, aka Kindle Keyboard, I offered my K2 to family and friends and nobody wanted it, they like to read “real” books they all said. So I kept my K2 and made it my bedroom e-reader and took the K3 everywhere I went.

Since then I kept the at home/ portable pairing and older models serve as backups if a battery is drained. At this point I have so many Kindles that I have thought about putting specific subjects or genres on each Kindle but haven’t done that yet (this Kindle for mysteries, this Kindle for Sci-Fi, etc).

By my count I have had fourteen different Kindle models. I purchase new models to get a better screen, lighter weight and / or faster E ink response. I’ve kept most of my Kindles and the few that I traded in or sold I have regretted parting with for one reason or another. Like I said, I just like e-readers.

That said, if you are happy with one e-reader I don’t think you are missing out because you don’t have multiples.
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 04:24 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis_lupus View Post
I offered my K2 to family and friends and nobody wanted it, they like to read “real” books they all said.
I know that feeling.

I've sold almost all my older ereaders, leaving only the two current ones and the two oldest (which aren't worth much anymore). I've had some mild regrets selling some of my devices, but I regretted keeping them on a shelf gathering dust more. Usually, when I get a newer device, I can no longer force myself to read on my older devices, so the only sensible solution is to sell them.

I've sold a total of 7 ereaders (5 Kindles, 1 Kobo and 1 Nook).
Old 05-15-2023, 04:48 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Usually, when I get a newer device, I can no longer force myself to read on my older devices, so the only sensible solution is to sell them.

I've sold a total of 7 ereaders (5 Kindles, 1 Kobo and 1 Nook).
I have only sold 1 device so far and only because I was asked and I was convinced of this device.

I can't bring myself to push other outdated nonsense.
Old 05-15-2023, 04:53 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I have only sold 1 device so far and only because I was asked and I was convinced of this device.

I can't bring myself to push other outdated nonsense.
I just start to feel sorry for the ones I no longer use. They're usually still in excellent condition and someone else could happily use them for years to come. Why let them just gather dust in some corner.
Old 05-15-2023, 05:24 AM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I just start to feel sorry for the ones I no longer use. They're usually still in excellent condition and someone else could happily use them for years to come. Why let them just gather dust in some corner.
I can't sell something I'm not happy with.
So I prefer to let it "collect dust" in my basement - well, it's not quite like that either, I take care of the battery and update the library inventory.
I also have four residences and I hand out the devices that are not quite up-to-date
Old 05-15-2023, 05:53 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I can't sell something I'm not happy with.
I've been reasonably happy with most of my devices (before I got a new one, that is). Only a couple of them were the exception, but that doesn't mean someone else couldn't like them.
Old 05-15-2023, 10:10 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumWarlock View Post
Would you tell me WHY you have multiples? ...
Curiosity mostly. I wanted to compare various eReaders. And, for a while, I wanted to collect older eReaders. Now I've got a bunch of aging eReaders I need to get rid of – it's a hassle just trying to keep them charged. Kind of like being the "cat lady" of eReaders.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:44 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumWarlock View Post
Would you tell me WHY you have multiples? What’s the benefit? Different books from different vendors? Different functionality? Changed brands over the years but kept your old readers?

I’ve been a Kindle user from the beginning, although I most often read via the Kindle app on my iPad since I’m always carrying it around anyway. But I’m wondering if I’m missing something by not trying other devices.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Sony Reader PRS-650
Sony Reader PRS-T1
B&N nook STR
Kindle PW3
Kindle Touch
Kobo Aura H2O
Kobo Libra 2

The Sony Readers are the ones I used to use. The nook STR was one I got really cheap as a spare in case something happened to the one I was using. The PW3 & Touch I was given both. The Kobo Aura H2O was the one I bought to replace the PRS-T1. The Libra 2 is the one I use now. I has the H2O for about 6 years fore getting the Libra 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 01:20 PM   #14
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I have the ones listed under my avatar (to the left). I still use all of them except the Sony - this gets very little use because it has no frontlight. I keep it as a repository of ebooks.

I bought the PW2 when I wanted an ereader with frontlighting. With the second version of the PW, kindle had ironed out the problems which the first PW had.

I needed a new ereader when the PW2 became full of books. I bought a secondhand PW3. Both of these ereaders are still going strong and being used.

Then I fell in love with the Kobo Libra 2 as soon as I saw videos of it. I HAD to have one!

None of them, other than the Sony, gather dust. I still read from them and download books onto all of them (other than the PW2 - no space).
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 02:08 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
My first reader was a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. I loved that thing and probably wouldn't have replaced it if I didn't manage to break the substrate.

But I did. When it happened, B&N replaced the STwG with the subpar Nook Glowlight (in my opinion, the worst Nook), so I bought the original 6" Kobo Aura instead. The screen wasn't the best (it was an early flush screen), but the software was SO much better.

The 2015 Nook Glowlight Plus came out and was a beautiful piece of hardware, so I bought that.

The Kobo Clara came out, so I bought that and love the orange lighting. I gave my Aura to a family member and was eventually gifted a replacement Nook STwG by the ereader catlady himself (which I very much appreciate) and I kind of bounce between all three readers: Clara, Plus and STwG

I also had a Glowlight 3 (now donated) and Clara 2E in the house, but those aren't mine.

I've recently been given a Paperwhite 3, my first Kindle. I don't really like it, but I read on it from time to time to give it a fair shake.

In my opinion, readers have been 'good enough' since that Nook STwG (they needed a lighted screen and the earlier lighted Sony didn't do it well). The screens have gotten better. Waterproofing and orange light are great and different readers have different features I like. But when it comes down to their basic purpose, any of the ereaders would make me happy if it was the only one I had.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-15-2023 at 02:14 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote