Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-22-2023, 11:45 PM   #1
Acy
Acy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Pretty sure I want BOOX Note Air2, but anything else I should consider?

I currently have a Kobo Libra H2O which I love, but I'd like to upgrade to something a bit bigger and fancier for school next semester. My Kobo is great for normal books, but most of my manga and textbooks are read on proprietary apps (ew) and I just read them on my phone even though I'd rather have them on an eReader. But I made the choice to buy them on those apps knowing that drm removal wasn't possible, so now I gotta live with it (and frankly a lot are exclusive to those apps). Even when I do have a non-drm pdf available, the Libra still isn't the best experience for them due to the screen size. So basically my wishlist is:
  • bigger screen than my libra (7 inch)
  • android apps
  • note taking capabilities, never taken notes on an eReader before, but I'm very interested in the concept especially because I hate carrying my laptop around with me lol.
  • $500 usd or under. Even that's a bit much for me tbh, but for the right device I can do it.
It seems like the Note Air2 is what I'm looking for, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for me to look into! Thank you!
Acy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 04:20 AM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If you want a smaller device, you could get the 8" Nova series. It depends whether you prefer easy note taking with one hand or a giant screen for manga.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 01:19 AM   #3
Acy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If you want a smaller device, you could get the 8" Nova series. It depends whether you prefer easy note taking with one hand or a giant screen for manga.
I've heard people say 10.3 is the minimum size you should consider for textbook-style books, so that's about the size I'm looking for right now. As for note-taking, I've heard some people say 7.8/8 inch is too small for them, and others say they actually prefer the smaller size. So it seems to come down to personal preference.

Honestly, the more reviews I watch/read of the Note Air 2 I read, the more I want it Though I'll be holding off on making any purchases for at least a couple of months, just wanted to start my research early. We'll see how I feel about it when the time comes.
Old 07-24-2023, 05:20 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
10″ is minimum for textbooks and PDF in general, but I find the 8″ Sage dramatically better size for notes than the 10.3″ Elipsa.
You need Android if loads of commercial papers/textbooks, or iOS. The iOS may be a bit better supported, but no eink version.
You need LCD or OLED for colour. Only hard core enthusiasts outdoors will be happy with coloured eink.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 04:16 PM   #5
Acy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
10″ is minimum for textbooks and PDF in general, but I find the 8″ Sage dramatically better size for notes than the 10.3″ Elipsa.
You need Android if loads of commercial papers/textbooks, or iOS. The iOS may be a bit better supported, but no eink version.
You need LCD or OLED for colour. Only hard core enthusiasts outdoors will be happy with coloured eink.
Commercial textbooks is the reason I started looking into getting an android device in the first place, so that takes priority over notes. Last few semesters I pretty much exclusively used my cellphone for textbook reading and I hated it, especially because I have a phone with a weird, thinner than normal aspect ratio. Spent the whole time thinking "I really wish I could have these books on my eReader."

I know for a lot people, a laptop/tablet is an overall better use of the money, but I have a already have a laptop, just can't be bothered to pack it up most of the time unless I know I need it. I basically use it as a desktop computer. I've had tablets, but never ended up using them much, always ends up being an "I can just do this on my phone" situation, or a "It'd be easier to just do this on my laptop" one.

Since I already know I like eink devices with my kobo libra being one of my favorite and most-used gadgets I've owned in recent years, I think I feel safe in investing in something a bit bigger and fancier and pricier now.

I imagine I'll mostly be at a desk or table when note taking rather than holding it, hopefully the size won't be an issue.
Old 07-24-2023, 05:17 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Since you have a Libra, then you don't have to worry about bad your notes/PDF solution is for real ebooks and metadata. I have the Libra and Libra 2 and oddly the Libra 2 seems to have a digitizer working with Kobo/MS Pen on the SketchPad, which save as svg and appear in My Books. Can then be copied off, but can't edit on the Libra2. The Pen doesn't work at all on a Libra.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 06:13 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acy View Post
Commercial textbooks is the reason I started looking into getting an android device in the first place, so that takes priority over notes. Last few semesters I pretty much exclusively used my cellphone for textbook reading and I hated it, especially because I have a phone with a weird, thinner than normal aspect ratio. Spent the whole time thinking "I really wish I could have these books on my eReader."

I know for a lot people, a laptop/tablet is an overall better use of the money, but I have a already have a laptop, just can't be bothered to pack it up most of the time unless I know I need it. I basically use it as a desktop computer. I've had tablets, but never ended up using them much, always ends up being an "I can just do this on my phone" situation, or a "It'd be easier to just do this on my laptop" one.

Since I already know I like eink devices with my kobo libra being one of my favorite and most-used gadgets I've owned in recent years, I think I feel safe in investing in something a bit bigger and fancier and pricier now.

I imagine I'll mostly be at a desk or table when note taking rather than holding it, hopefully the size won't be an issue.
Textbooks in PDF should be the reason you look into getting an iPad and not anything Android. iPd has the best app for PDF. GoodReader is the best app for annotating PDF. It's that good that Android should not be a consideration.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 05:42 AM   #8
tived
tived began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro and BOOX TAP ULTRA C
having gone through this process just now, with an iPad Pro 12.9 and now a Kobo Libra 2 and on order a Boox Tab Ultra C

My main purpose is to read more, I have lost of PDFs and Epub books, for work I want to make my notes digitized, I have been caught out not being able to find my notes, or bringing in the wrong note pad!

iPad Pro, beautiful display well support, lots of apps - poor battery and not very nice to write on.

Kobo (i am new to this device), nice and small, b/w display - awful with PDF for me at least. The Kobo is 225g nice and light but I feel the screen is a little too small. I wear glasses (age related)

Haven't received the Boox Tab Ultra C yet, but I am already having buyers remorse, and thinking I should have gone for the Boox Note Air 2 plus or the Supernote A5x both 10.3in.

I am expecting the Ultra to be too heavy at 480g (Ipad with cover is 12-1400g and is definitely too heavy for me).

Yesterday I tried a friends ReMarkable 2 and it is very nice to write on, it has a very premium feel. B/W screen

Just my $02, it is definitely not easy to choose, good luck
tived is offline   Reply With Quote