Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-04-2023, 01:33 PM   #1
MohnJadden
MohnJadden began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Looking for non-Kindle recs in 9-11" range for epubs, notes and color would be nice

I've got a Kobo Libra H2O. I like it for the water resistance and non-Kindle ecosystem, but getting epubs to it wirelessly involves an unreliable workaround. Plus it's small, and I'm getting old, so having more text at larger font sizes is a good thing.

I'm open to recs. Gotta be at least 9ish inches and easy to wirelessly send epub, cbz, pdf, and other basic formats. Note taking would be useful. Color would be great but isn't mandatory. Gotta be splash resistant. Doesn't have to be a major brand. No need for audio or Bluetooth. Trying to keep it below $300ish plus or minus and used is fine.
MohnJadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 08:31 PM   #2
Redshirt #24
Redshirt #24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PWSE/Scribe/Oasis 3/PW2, Kobo Sage, Nook GL4+/Simple Touch
For all intents, without counting the e-note or color or water-resistance aspects, you're looking for a 10" e-reader--the sizes jump from 8" straight to 9.7"/10"/10.3" and then up--for $300-ish. And there is one non-Kindle e-reader in that price range: the PocketBook InkPad Lite. So you're basically looking at something used, or stretching your budget, unless you get lucky and find a deal on something like a first-gen Kobo Elipsa or a Meebook P10 Pro or, if you really want to get old, an Onyx Boox N96/N96ML.

And it probably must be said: color is right out at this point, especially at that size range, unless a literal unicorn drops one in your lap.
Redshirt #24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 09:39 AM   #3
Vrondi
Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (First Gen).
Onyx Boox Tab Ultra C seems to be the best color device at the moment, but it is NOT waterproof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWq0njylqts

I'm all intrigued by the Mobiscribe Wave Color, but it has the previous gen of color screen instead of the newest one (Kaleido Plus instead of Kaleido 3), so I honestly don't know.

I'm coming from a Kobo Aura H2O, and similar to you, I wouldn't want to lose screen clarity or water resistance. Yet, I see reviewers who make comments like "why would this be waterproof?" SMH. It's very challenging to get any good sense of how good or bad these devices actually are when you can't see them in person.
Vrondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 04:09 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The 9.7″ might be only 150 dpi? Very inferior to a 300 dpi 8″ model.

Forget about colour if you want to read novels.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 09:43 AM   #5
Joselin666
Joselin666 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs T2
Post Looking for non-kindle device in the 7-9 inch range for epubs.

Hi,

Looking for non-kindle device in the 7-9 inch range for epubs.
With good light adjustment

Thanks
Joselin666 is offline   Reply With Quote