Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-18-2023, 01:27 AM   #1
paieye
Connoisseur
paieye began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire
Audio content not supported

"There is audio content at this location that is not currently supported by your device." Why is this ? Is there any way around it ? It has obliged me to download my Teach Yourself Greek to my Amazon Fire, instead of to this 11-inch MacBook Air. The sound is of course excellent on the Fire, but I am sight-impaired, and reading the text is a struggle. If I must spend on an e-book reader with a bigger display, what would be recommended ? A 10.9-inch iPad ?
paieye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 11:54 AM   #2
paieye
Connoisseur

Undaunted by the Forum's dignified silence, I have bought a Kindle Scribe. I am getting exactly the same message with it, even though the publicity insists that it is enabled for audio. Oh, well...
Old 06-22-2023, 01:08 PM   #3
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by paieye View Post
Undaunted by the Forum's dignified silence, I have bought a Kindle Scribe. I am getting exactly the same message with it, even though the publicity insists that it is enabled for audio.
Is it certain that that particular book's audio is capable of being played on a Kindle? Here's one, for example, where it says, "Audio/Video content is available on Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch devices."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Gr.../dp/B00NT7EDNG
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 01:31 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
While the Scribe is capable of playing Audible audio books in the US, extrapolating from a Paperwhite, it will not play embedded or external audio or video clips. Please note the "in the US" is due to Audible Canada stating that they have not done enough testing to allow playback of Audible content using a Kindle ereader.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 01:53 PM   #5
paieye
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve View Post
Is it certain that that particular book's audio is capable of being played on a Kindle? Here's one, for example, where it says, "Audio/Video content is available on Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch devices."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Gr.../dp/B00NT7EDNG

Thank you for coming to my aid. I have also an Amazon Fire. This handles the audio perfectly, but its small size limits the extent to which one can enlarge the text effectively. Is there any other large e-reader on the market that can handle audio as well as text ?
Old 06-22-2023, 02:00 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Thank you for coming to my aid. I have also an Amazon Fire. This handles the audio perfectly, but its small size limits the extent to which one can enlarge the text effectively. Is there any other large e-reader on the market that can handle audio as well as text ?
I would refer you back to post #3. No e-ink devices are listed.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 05:35 PM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
You can get a 10 inch Amazon Fire for less than it would cost for an iPad.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BX7FV5L

It looks like there's also an "Amazon Fire Max 11" that must have only come out a short time ago: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1VQ1ZQY

Maybe one of those would work for you?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 06:11 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can get loads of decent 10" tablets about 1/4 price of an iPad.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 02:00 PM   #9
paieye
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

It looks like there's also an "Amazon Fire Max 11" that must have only come out a short time ago: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1VQ1ZQY

Shari
Thank you for that, I shall certainly bear your suggestions in mind. For the time being, though, I shall persevere with my Fire. I have managed to improve the display, and. it is. working well. I have returned the Spice.
Old 06-24-2023, 03:09 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
That was a quiet launch!

Interesting device: supports Fingerprint ID & Stylus Pen (not included at $229 USD base price). It does on-device handwriting to text. Display is only 212 ppi however. Aluminum case (resembling iPad of course), only a shade heavier than Fire HD 10.

The stylus pen is pressure sensitive and has tilt support (uses AAAA battery 'good for up to 6 months').

Bundled with keyboard/trackpad/stylus is $329 USD. The keyboard is powered from the Fire.

I wonder if they are planning to add Notebook functionality (like Scribe). But aspect ratio is 5:3 instead of 4:3 so it would need to letterbox Notebooks a bit to fit (or more likely use it for toolbar).

I will keep an eye on Prime Day deals for this. I have several devices I can trade in for 20% plus gift card.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-24-2023 at 03:28 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 03:44 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I wonder if they are planning to add Notebook functionality (like Scribe).
Just adapt to use Android Playstore?
Add Nebo App, the top handwriting app on Android/iPad with on device conversion. Free version might not do as much as the custom version on the Kobo Sage & Elipsa. I don't have an Android with a digitiser so tried it on a relative's iPad using a 3rd party "Pencil".
Old 06-24-2023, 06:57 PM   #12
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Just adapt to use Android Playstore?
Add Nebo App, the top handwriting app on Android/iPad with on device conversion. Free version might not do as much as the custom version on the Kobo Sage & Elipsa. I don't have an Android with a digitiser so tried it on a relative's iPad using a 3rd party "Pencil".
Not on the Amazon App Store .

That said there is a couple decent options on there already, OneNote and Squid.

(Yes, I know it's typically easy to put Google Play on Fire tablets)

Notability is the "big" iOS notetaking app.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 07:13 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Not on the Amazon App Store .
That's why I said kludging Playstore. The Fire is simply an Amazon customised Android and Binatone did that first, with their own store.
Up till now I thought the Fire models pretty poor, basically built down to a price, but this new model with keyboard, digitizer/pen is a reasonable spec and price. The 212 dpi is very much better than eink at 212 dpi because eink has only 14 greys to anti-alias curves, text or diagonals and no potential for sub pixel addressing. So I'd expect the 212 dpi to in practice be as apparently sharp as 300 dpi eink and of course always be better if there is colour.

I might get one if I read reports of playstore apps working OK, such as Borrowbox, Google Play books, lichess, K9 mail, Musicolet, Xodo, Lithium, pocketbook, Firefox, dosbox, Telegram, Viber, AA Image viewer, Jota, Banking apps etc.
Old 06-25-2023, 09:14 AM   #14
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
That's why I said kludging Playstore. The Fire is simply an Amazon customised Android and Binatone did that first, with their own store.
Up till now I thought the Fire models pretty poor, basically built down to a price, but this new model with keyboard, digitizer/pen is a reasonable spec and price. The 212 dpi is very much better than eink at 212 dpi because eink has only 14 greys to anti-alias curves, text or diagonals and no potential for sub pixel addressing. So I'd expect the 212 dpi to in practice be as apparently sharp as 300 dpi eink and of course always be better if there is colour.

I might get one if I read reports of playstore apps working OK, such as Borrowbox, Google Play books, lichess, K9 mail, Musicolet, Xodo, Lithium, pocketbook, Firefox, dosbox, Telegram, Viber, AA Image viewer, Jota, Banking apps etc.
Yeah but it's not a given and it's not on there out of the box so it's worth mentioning. For some people that's too much trouble/difficult.

It doesn't seem to be available in all regions yet either. Not in Canada anyways.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 11:28 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Yeah but it's not a given and it's not on there out of the box so it's worth mentioning. For some people that's too much trouble/difficult.
That's why I'm not rushing to buy one. I'll see what users think.