Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-06-2023, 08:17 AM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oskardotglobal View Post
As they're available cheaper and more commonly here in Germany I'll probably just get a Tolino, maybe a used Vision (Libra). Does anyone know the differences in software between Kobo and Tolino? Are there any?
Kobo is very open and using a vanilla kind of Linux.
Tolino is based on Android, which while having a Linux based kernel is not much like Linux. I don't know how hard it is to install Android APKs on the Tolino, but KOReader does come in an APK version from Git (not on Playstore).

For just an ereader, the Kobo SW is far superior to Android. Android's only advantage on eink (locked out on some ereaders) is running ereader Apps (Kindle, Libby, Kobo, Playstore Playbooks etc).

Some Tolino and Kobo models do share hardware since Rakuten also bought Tolino, but the Vision and Libra will not be anything alike for use or customising. Maybe Tolino uses the horrid USB-MTP mode instead of USB mass storage of actually Linux ereaders like Kindle and Kobo, I don't know.

Last edited by Quoth; 06-06-2023 at 08:21 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:09 AM   #17
oskardotglobal
oskardotglobal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Kobo is very open and using a vanilla kind of Linux.
Tolino is based on Android, which while having a Linux based kernel is not much like Linux. I don't know how hard it is to install Android APKs on the Tolino, but KOReader does come in an APK version from Git (not on Playstore).

For just an ereader, the Kobo SW is far superior to Android. Android's only advantage on eink (locked out on some ereaders) is running ereader Apps (Kindle, Libby, Kobo, Playstore Playbooks etc).
Ok, this is a very compelling argument. I found a nice offer for a Nia, so I'll be getting that. Thanks for the help!
oskardotglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:18 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oskardotglobal View Post
...Does anyone know the differences in software between Kobo and Tolino? Are there any?
Kobos run on Linux, the Tolinos run on Android. So, even though they're basically the same hardware (close anyhow) their firmware is completely different. Tolinos are like the PocketBooks, they have Adobe ADE built in, so you can download the .ascm file directly to the Tolino and it will do the downloading of the ePub for you.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:19 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
...I don't know if you can even use KOReader on a Tolino.
You can run KoReader on Tolinos.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:49 AM   #20
oskardotglobal
oskardotglobal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Update: The Nia just arrived and first impressions: its adorable! Its also pretty lightweight and the bezels are managable, sadly micro b for charging. Gonna set it up and see if can just transfer my books and maybe give KOReader a shot
oskardotglobal is offline   Reply With Quote