Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle firmware version 5.7.2

I just noticed that firmware version 5.7.2 for the newer Kindle models is available for download from Amazon's software update page. Testing now.

ETA:
Quote:
The software update includes general improvements and the following new features:

A new Home screen layout, which features access to your recent books, your Reading List on Goodreads, and personalized recommendations from the Kindle Store.

A new Quick Actions menu that allows you to quickly turn on Airplane Mode, sync your Kindle, manage your light settings, and more.

Our new Dyslexic reading font.
First impressions:

I like that the home screen shows the book you are currently reading, but not much else about it. It can be turned off: Settings, Device options, Personalize your kindle, Advanced options, Home screen view (off/on).

There seems to be more fine detail in the screen layouts. Thinner lines, etc.

The background images for folders and personal document covers are gone, making them easier to read.

The book reading experience seems the same to me so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2016_02_02T09_10_28-0500.png
Views:	2021
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	145998  

Last edited by jhowell; 02-02-2016 at 09:27 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #2
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I downloaded the update, but I think I'll wait for your review of the update before updating my Voyage.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #3
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node...0_deveng_ku16_
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The new home screen sounds horrid and cluttered with uselessness.
On my few occasions looking at the home screen of the Nook, I thought the same thing.

But I see Amazon was kind enough to make it optional.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
That's way too busy of a screen for me. I just want my titles please!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

As usual, Amazon adds garbage I don't want in an effort to annoy me with ads and encourage me to buy more books.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
On the plus side, it looks like they have made it faster to turn airplane mode on and off.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Applying update to my Voyage now.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #9
Solarin
Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Solarin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Voyage
This is an awesome update. The new home screen in the picture can actually be turned completely off, so people who don't want book recommendations don't have to see that. The whole interface has been modernized, has a bit of an Android feel in my opinion.
Solarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #10
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarin View Post
This is an awesome update. The new home screen in the picture can actually be turned completely off, so people who don't want book recommendations don't have to see that. The whole interface has been modernized, has a bit of an Android feel in my opinion.
Yeah I actually like the new homescreen, looks more modern than before. I've yet to test out the reading experience to see if I notice any changes, I'll be reading a bit over lunch to see.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #11
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I really like it so far. Looks cleaner and they consolidated some stuff that was scattered. Like in a book tapping the menu and then Aa has everything in that place now from size to orientation. Which used to be in the other menu.
THey also renamed Cloud/Device to ALL/Downloaded. And as far as I can see, it stays to the one you selected, rather then keep going back to device when you hit the home button. Since I prefer to have the Cloud view on all the time, this is great. Or I should say ALL view now.

You can also now bring up the flip view, the thing where you swipe up from the bottom by clicking a icon when you tap the top of the screen which brings up the menu. So its part of the menu that way. Swiping also still works.

I think it looks elegant. And the new cog wheel in menu is now for airplane mode, light, sync and all settings. All in one place.

Don't like the new home page, just turn it off. Or just swipe over to your regular home page. No reason to whine about something one can turn on and off. Some like it, some don't. Just use the setting you do like. Easy enough.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #12
saiyogo
saiyogo began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Pro 10.5, Kindle Voyage
One thing to note is that the ugly "Personal" banners on your documents are gone now
saiyogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #13
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This all sounds pretty great, except for book recommendations. Is there a way to turn that off, but have the other new home screen features? I will download this update when I get home tonight.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
This all sounds pretty great, except for book recommendations. Is there a way to turn that off, but have the other new home screen features? I will download this update when I get home tonight.
Unfortunately no. Its all or nothing in the settings. At least that is what I found.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #15
Zeebra
Evangelist

I didn't notice many changes on the reading screen (although I wasn't really looking that hard). Reading experience seems fine, only thing I noticed is I believe the fonts at the bottom of the page for ("Time left in chapter" and the reading %) seem to be different