Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-06-2020, 01:41 AM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Wow. I know of films adapted from books and alternatively novelisations of scripts, but a film and book being made in tandem sounds very unique.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:51 PM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This month I've decided to try limiting my votes to about 2/3 of the nominees. It was hard because I liked all the nominations just as much as other months, and would equally be happy with any of the ones I'm not voting for winning. I read previews of all nine and think I'd enjoy any of them.

Some random thoughts on a few (and this doesn't imply a greater interest in these than the others, they're only some extra things I've thought of to say)-

Of ones I haven't mentioned yet, The Caliph's House looks very interesting. I do love nonfiction travel writing and Morocco holds a special allure. I know a little about the country but haven't ever really read much on it, though I've seen some films set there from Casablanca (which doesn't focus on the culture but still is famously set there) to Only Lovers Left Alive (another non-Moroccan film, but it does feature some very culturally relevant scenes set and filmed in Morocco). I'm intimidated by the length of Shantaram, but I love the description and so the chips can fall where they may; if it wins I'm up for the challenge. It also has an extremely high Goodreads rating for a highly reviewed non-sequel fiction book. It's 4.27; over half of the reviewers gave it 5 stars, and over 80% gave it either 4 or 5 stars.

It could be interesting with 2001 to see how it compares to the film and especially how it differs, and I've never read any Clarke so this would give me an opportunity to do so.

The hardest one to not vote for was Waugh since I loved Brideshead Revisited so much, but I stuck to my 2/3 goal.

I'll list my votes in reverse nomination order:

-1 to Beyond the Black Stump
-1 to 2001: A Space Odyssey
-1 to The Caliph's House
-1 to Shantaram
-1 to Goodbye to Berlin
-1 to Moonfleet
Advert
Old 05-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #18
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

One other thing I meant to say, and I don't want to edit a post with votes, so I'll say it here in a separate one, is that my votes were also influenced by authors that had moved to other countries. Generally that wouldn't matter to me and I'll be just as happy with any of the authors winning whether they ever moved countries or not, but considering the topic it did have me considering that as a consequential factor for my own votes.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #19
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Mine are:

2 - Moonfleet
2 - The Caliph's House
2 - Beyond the Black Stump
1 - 2001: A Space Odyssey
1 - Goodbye to Berlin
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Here are my votes.

The Caliph’s House by Tahir Shah - 2

Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner - 2

Beyond the Black Stump by Nevil Shute - 2

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts - 1

Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood - 1
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

About five and a half hours left vote.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Wow, we posted at exactly the same time! Heh.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #23
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hard a hard time deciding as always. I say that every month! I like the fun way this category was interpreted even more than I expected.

I have read Scoop and enjoyed the satirical comedy of it. Well, more specifically, I listened to it and wouldn’t mind reading it again in book format. Like sun surfer, the only book I have read by Nevil Shute is A Town Called Alice although I own On The Beach and will get to it someday. I remember seeing the movie 2001 but don’t think I have read anything by Clarke before.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:06 PM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Wow, we posted at exactly the same time! Heh.
Great minds think alike!
Old 05-10-2020, 12:24 AM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Initial voting is complete and, surprise surprise , we have a tie! It is between:

-Moonfleet
-The Caliph's House
-Beyond the Black Stump

Run-off voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly TWO DAYS from this post.

Each person has TWO votes to use.

If the run-off ends in a tie, the selection that received all its votes first will win.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:33 AM   #26
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Adding in the run-off wording to the OP, I noticed that we're now deciding between the very first, the very middle and the very last nomination.

I'm going to wait a bit to vote to see where the wind may blow. I'm having a hard time deciding on one of these not to vote for, let alone two.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:56 PM   #27
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine are:

1 - Moonfleet
1 - Beyond the Black Stump
Old 05-11-2020, 01:28 AM   #28
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

My votes are:

1 for The Caliph’s House
1 for Moonfleet
Old 05-11-2020, 06:57 PM   #29
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I’ll go with what everyone has voted for and give 1 to Moonfleet. I’m also adding Beyond the Black Stump and The Caliph’s House to my tbr, along with some of the others from this month.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:40 PM   #30
AnotherCat

I had decided that I would start reading Moonfleet regardless as it is a book that had been on my mind for a long time, so am already a few chapters into it.

I have read all of Shute's books over the years but Beyond the Black Stump was a long time back so was already on my to reread list, as was 2001 again last read years ago (Scoop is also on my reread list so I'd better confess that all my nominations were of books I wanted to get back too rather than ones never read ).

The Caliph’s House looks very interesting and is now on my to be read list, so interesting looking that getting to reading it might be pretty soon.