Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
OldLincoln
Zealot
OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FBReader
Question Installation of Libraries and Cloud Import??

I think I took a wrong turn in the installation process.

Early on it asked me where I want my Library to be with a default of "Documents & Settings/??/[Username] (I think) and I changed it to "Program Files/Calibre2/Library".

Way into the installation it asked me where I want my Calibre Library installed. I got totally confused but put the same as before. Is there more than one library? If so what goes in which?

Adding to my confusion is I tried to add books from my online Amazon Cloud putting the url in the "add from where?" box But it didn't find them. I thought I may have to get them from my cloud to my pc but clicking the "Action" button on the Cloud list doesn't allow that.

I feel really dense right now and could use some hand holding when I return to my PC in 4 days.
OldLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Yikes!
you put user data into "Program files"... That is so Windows 3.1 (and insecure)
Calibre now needs to run with UAC elevation.

Start Calibre
On the Right-click Library icon little arrow.
Move Library (to a user area)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That's not the only possible issue. It's also possible that instead of getting stored in "\Program Files", the library got stored in "virtual storage" (\Users\<username>\AppData\Virtual Store\Program Files).

If you want a self-contained Calibre install (ideal for flash drives, cloud, etc), use the portable version instead.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
OldLincoln
Zealot
OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Yikes!

Start Calibre
On the Right-click Library icon little arrow.
Move Library (to a user area)
Okay, I created a new folder and moved the library to it.
Next, how do I get the books from the cloud to the hard drive and where to I put them?

BTW, I'm not pirating anything, just tracking my ebooks that I will get from Amazon and the local library (I can add those manually I think) and other legal sources. I do want Calibre to update automatically the books I put on my Kindle Fire though.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
Okay, I created a new folder and moved the library to it.
Next, how do I get the books from the cloud to the hard drive and where to I put them?

BTW, I'm not pirating anything, just tracking my ebooks that I will get from Amazon and the local library (I can add those manually I think) and other legal sources. I do want Calibre to update automatically the books I put on my Kindle Fire though.
Calibre does Not update any book Auto-magically on your device .

The closest, is that Calibre will send scheduled News. It will never delete stuff. That always takes Human input (got to blame someone )

Cloud? Whose cloud?

Books need to be added to Calibre via one of the approved methods.
I have a Temp (for books) folder that I place 'To be imported' books.

How you get books into that folder is your problem
After you Import (Add Books), what you do with these 'originals' is, again, your problem. Some delete them, some burn to DVD, Some move them to another drive/folder.
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
OldLincoln
Zealot

Okay, I saw a light in my tunnel, is it another train??? I bought the Fire and several books from Amazon that were put in my Kindle Fire Library on the Amazon Web by the 1 click process. I want to track those books and others I may buy from non-Amazon sources in Calibre. I think I have Calibre set up now, thanks to you, but still don't have my Amazon Library there.

I don't care if the books actually stay on Amazon, I just want to see the titles in Calibre. Also, I understood or misunderstood that when I buy an Amazon ebook I can show it in Calibre using the Add Book button.

Now I won't be surprised if I took a wrong turn and am seeking guidance, maybe just a pointer. All of your help is appreciated.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
Okay, I saw a light in my tunnel, is it another train??? I bought the Fire and several books from Amazon that were put in my Kindle Fire Library on the Amazon Web by the 1 click process. I want to track those books and others I may buy from non-Amazon sources in Calibre. I think I have Calibre set up now, thanks to you, but still don't have my Amazon Library there.

I don't care if the books actually stay on Amazon, I just want to see the titles in Calibre. Also, I understood or misunderstood that when I buy an Amazon ebook I can show it in Calibre using the Add Book button.

Now I won't be surprised if I took a wrong turn and am seeking guidance, maybe just a pointer. All of your help is appreciated.
TIIRC the Fire and Calibre has trouble because some things are not available at the USB port that are on K3 and before (and the K4NT)

I think you need to use Kindle 4 PC and bring those titles onto your PC from Amazon. Then you can bring them into Calibre from there.

BTW It was Amazon that de-railed your train with the Fire an Touch changes
Old 02-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
OldLincoln
Zealot

Thanks so much for your help!! I am now officially a happy camper and see all my books in Calibre as intended, including a checkmark for read and the date plus my ratings.

The secret (at lest to me) was to install Calibre with defaults, install Kindle for PC, download all books listed in Kindle for PC, Add Books in Calibre (from "My documents/My Kindle Content"), add columns in Calibre. restart Calibre and update custom metadata. I suspect it's one of those things that once done is simple but the first time is questionable - pretty much like everything else done the first time.

Thanks again.