Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-11-2024, 05:58 AM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
It's probably the camera. Maybe it needs to be that high to look good in person

Need someone with good camera set up who understands what the assignment is Like, put the thing down and point the camera directly at it, please
I'd like to see the Libra Color with no front light on. I want to know how the contrast is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:00 AM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinet Duty View Post
This video explains some of the differences between colour and BW e-readers might be helpful to someone thinking about the new Kobo Libra Colour:

https://youtu.be/jaWnBMvdKH0?si=HxYQolP6Th1V5IpH
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2024, 09:07 AM   #78
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd like to see the Libra Color with no front light on. I want to know how the contrast is.
There are a couple of comparison shots on this Reddit thread with the Libra Colour sitting beside a Kindle PW:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kobo/commen...lor_early_ama/
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 11:04 AM   #79
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I feel like the dark horse in all this is the Clara B&W. It's an improvement on the already nice Clara 2E with a lower price. That interests me more than either of the color readers do.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:04 PM   #80
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinet Duty View Post
This video explains some of the differences between colour and BW e-readers might be helpful to someone thinking about the new Kobo Libra Colour:

https://youtu.be/jaWnBMvdKH0?si=HxYQolP6Th1V5IpH
Does it really take 13' to tell us something as obvious as if you're not going to use colour, don't buy a colour e-reader? What's next, a 15' video telling us that an unlit e-reader won't be seen at night in a room where there's no light?

I don't understand this mania for defocusing the issue. What people are asking themselves is whether they can successfully combine colour (for comics, technical documents or whatever requires colour) with the usual black and white reading. Because you can't do that with a monochrome e-reader, but you can with a colour e-reader. And the answer to that question is not as simple as it is shown in that video. It depends a lot on how you usually use your e-reader and how demanding you are. I don't see myself reflected in that video. I don't use an e-reader without illumination or with the brightness level set to maximum. I use them 99% of the time at medium levels. And in those cases a decent colour e-reader (not the Bigme you use) looks exactly the same (in terms of lighting) as a monochrome one. If the illumination is set correctly (on a colour e-reader it will always be higher) there is no difference in display. The differences are in other things. And that's what people are asking, what does it really look like, what is the contrast and resolution like?

I know that people are looking for certainties one way or the other. And I also know that there are many charitable souls always ready to offer them. But I think the answer to that question is neither in the videos, nor in the photographs, nor in our opinions. The only way to find out is with a colour e-reader under our noses. Because everyone has different tastes and sensibilities and buys their e-readers based on a variety of factors. That is why there is such a variety of e-readers on the market. That is why a person could buy a basic Kindle and not a Kindle Voyage and be equally satisfied, even though they are so different in terms of contrast and resolution.

My approach is that the Kaleido 3 offers a technology that is not for everyone, but can be valid for a significant number of users. This is something that many reviews have agreed on. And that is why so many colour e-readers are appearing. Whether they are right for you is something only you can answer.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2024, 12:04 PM   #81
jgneff
jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.jgneff can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: Kobo Touch B/C, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra 2
Below is a video that gives you a very close look at the differences between what I think are the normal E Ink black-and-white display, the E Ink Kaleido color filter array, and the E Ink Gallery 3 color technologies.

Electronic Paper - See What Happens

I wonder if there are any limits on how fast the Gallery 3 refresh can get in the future. It sure looks as if that's the technology you would want eventually for a color e-reader, if the refresh speed can be improved.

It's still disappointing to see how much better plain paper is even when compared to the best possible e-reader technology right now.

Last edited by jgneff; 04-11-2024 at 12:46 PM.
jgneff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:07 PM   #82
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
My first response was, 'I know what I'm getting for my birthday!'

Second response, 'Dude. Your birthday is in November!'

So I've preordered.

I've been wanting a color ereader for years but couldn't justify the price. This is a nice price (and I LOVE side buttons. Love 'em!)
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:34 PM   #83
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post

My approach is that the Kaleido 3 offers a technology that is not for everyone, but can be valid for a significant number of users. This is something that many reviews have agreed on. And that is why so many colour e-readers are appearing. Whether they are right for you is something only you can answer.

I'm not sure if I will like the Libra Colour, but I can't know for sure without trying it. Videos and pictures can give me an idea, but so far the examples are not convincing. Their quality are not good enough to really have a good look.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:50 PM   #84
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
No use for reading fiction. It's just another chance to get money out of people. Useful for comic strips and that's all.
In a decade or two these little objects will cost like a gold bar... I'm not happy at all.
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:52 PM   #85
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
No use for reading fiction. It's just another chance to get money out of people. Useful for comic strips and that's all.
In a decade or two these little objects will cost like a gold bar... I'm not happy at all.
On the other hand, there is the Clara B&W which has a newer screen than the Clara 2E and costs less. It's not all bad for those not interested in color.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:55 PM   #86
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Sorry, what is the Clara B&W?
Old 04-11-2024, 01:33 PM   #87
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Sorry, what is the Clara B&W?

https://ca.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-clara-bw

Clara with no color, eInk screen Carta 1300
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:37 PM   #88
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post

I'm not sure if I will like the Libra Colour, but I can't know for sure without trying it. Videos and pictures can give me an idea, but so far the examples are not convincing. Their quality are not good enough to really have a good look.
I think this is an intelligent approach. I know people who have returned colour e-readers and others who have kept them. We know that some people see the glass as half full and others as half empty. My respect for both.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 02:01 PM   #89
Jane Eyre
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
https://ca.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-clara-bw

Clara with no color, eInk screen Carta 1300
Ah ok. We don't have this in Italy.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:11 PM   #90
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Ah ok. We don't have this in Italy.
Are you sure?

https://it.kobobooks.com/collections/ereaders
John F is offline   Reply With Quote