Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-28-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
psteinhofer
psteinhofer began at the beginning.

Device: none
ligatures no longer supported by the Calibre viewer ?

Hi, I have a problem with the new Calibre viewer (Calibre 4.x) when an e-book in the epub format contains ligatures.

With the old viewer (Calibre 3.x) ligatures were shown in the viewer correctly. But the new viewer only shows a small rectangle instead of the ligatures.

I tried to convert the epub file again without the "keep ligatures" option but that didn't help. Do I do something wrong? Thank you very much for your help.
psteinhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd be very surprised if it didn't support ligatures, the viewer uses the chromium browser to render text, and as far as I know it most definitely supports ligatures. Might be an issue with a particular font.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
In the Viewer, press Esc (to get the menu): preferences: Fonts (section): Adjust the font family used (depends on what style of font is having issues: sans or serif ) NOTE these settings are for UNSTYLED book text
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:31 AM   #4
psteinhofer

Now I tried the chrome extension EPUBReader and the ligatures where shown correctly. I also tried the Calibre 4.5 viewer with the same font preferences I had used with the 3.48 version. But that made no difference, the ligatures (mostly "ll", but also "fr", "ft", ...) were still not shown correctly.

The e-book I used is "Hoffmann - Werke v1.0.epub" from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=192411.

So it's still a mystery ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Example Calibre 4.5 .png
Views:	269
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	175214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Example Calibre 3.48 .png
Views:	276
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	175215  
Old 11-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Looks fine on my system, see screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ligatures.png
Views:	298
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	175238  
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Looks fine on my system, see screenshot.
Look closer at line 2, word 3 in your screencap The OP has an empty box where the 'll' should be in 'Callots', whereas yours has nothing at all.

My Windows 10 PC looks the same as the OP's. However, opening the epub in the calibre Editor and fixing the errors flagged by running CheckBook (particularly the font and @font-face errors) seems to fix it OK.

@psteinhofer, BTW the 'll' isn't a ligature in the html file.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:44 AM   #7
psteinhofer

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, the problem was caused by font errors in the css of the e-book. I used the e-book editor of the viewer for the first time and deleted the fonts in the css. Now I use the settings of the viewer for unformatted text.
Obviously the old viewer was a little more error-tolerant. But now it works fine too.

Tags
calibre, ligatures, viewer