Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Alexa goes Mobile

From ZDNET:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/amazon-...tag=TRE17cfd61

Amazon Tap, US$129(?):

Quote:
Alexa, aka the Amazon Echo, is coming to two new members of the product line. The Amazon Tap is a portable version of the Echo to allow taking Alexa everywhere. The Echo Dot is a small device designed to augment existing Echo installations.

The Amazon Tap looks like a shorter Echo and has a battery (nine hours music playback, and three weeks standby) allowing it to go mobile. It's reminiscent of portable speakers from other vendors, but with Echo capabilities. The Tap has a microphone button that is pressed to speak commands.
Amazon Echo Dot, $89:

Quote:

Joining the Tap is the Echo Dot, a device that looks like a hockey puck. Unlike the original Echo and the new Tap, the Dot only has a small speaker to handle functions like sounding alarms.

The Dot is designed to install in homes that have an Amazon Echo. It's essentially an extension of the Echo to put in rooms outside the Echo's reach. It can eliminate the need to have multiple Echos in rooms to control smart home appliances. Put Dots in each room where control is needed and connect the Dots to the network.

The Echo Dot has the far-field audio technology used in the Echo along with a ring of lights on top of the device to indicate what is happening. The small speaker allows the Dot to work well as an alarm clock that operates by voice.
More at the source.

The Dot can only be purchased via Alexa itself.

It'll be interesting to see if multiple Dots will allow multiple audiobook and/or ebook TTS sessions simultaneously.

Edit: For context -http://www.zdnet.com/article/amazons-echo-dot-tap-alexa-equate-to-amazon-everywhere-strategy/

Last edited by fjtorres; 03-03-2016 at 11:35 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Finally! I wasn't expecting the Dot. Anyway, they're both overpriced in my opinion. Additionally, the Tap is fatally flawed because it requires you to physically press a button to make requests.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I been wanting something like the dot for upstairs. I have my Echo downstairs in the livingroom/dining/kitchen area centrally located. But it would be great to have something upstairs for the bedroom. It is a bit pricey. Of course I got the Echo for $99 with that invitation thing they did.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
BretSingleton
Enthusiast
BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Finally alexa goes mobile,Nice post dude.
BretSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another problem for the Tap - it's not water resistant / ruggedized. Why not? For a device advertised for the great outdoors, it should be.
Advert
Old 03-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I been wanting something like the dot for upstairs. I have my Echo downstairs in the livingroom/dining/kitchen area centrally located. But it would be great to have something upstairs for the bedroom. It is a bit pricey. Of course I got the Echo for $99 with that invitation thing they did.
I'd consider the Dot if the price was lower.

Note - the Dot is only sold to Prime members:

Quote:
Echo Dot is available in limited quantities exclusively for Prime members through Alexa Voice Shopping. Limit 1 per order, 2 per customer. To order your Echo Dot, just ask: "Alexa, order an Echo Dot." To learn more about Echo Dot, go to https://www.amazon.com/echodot.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Looks like the Dot only has a speaker for voice feedback and requires an external (wired or bt) speaker for music, etc.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #8
mpeg2
Connoisseur
mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
" Additionally, the Tap is fatally flawed because it requires you to physically press a button to make requests."

The Tap is battery powered - how long would it last if it was always listening to audio to recognize when "Alexa" is spoken. This seems like a reasonable engineering tradeoff to me.

RIch
mpeg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Looks like the Dot only has a speaker for voice feedback and requires an external (wired or bt) speaker for music, etc.
I bet you can play music on it, but the sound won't be so hot.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
My primary use for Alexa is home automation control, with music being a nice additional feature so the Dot is perfect for me. When I come in from the Lanai, I won't have to remember to ask her to turn the lanai lights off when I get in range of one of the Echos, I can do it right from there. Also, I've been avoiding putting magic light bulbs in the sitting room for that very reason, now I can put a Dot there and have full Enterprise like control.

Excellent Job Amazon!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeg2 View Post
" Additionally, the Tap is fatally flawed because it requires you to physically press a button to make requests."

The Tap is battery powered - how long would it last if it was always listening to audio to recognize when "Alexa" is spoken. This seems like a reasonable engineering tradeoff to me.

RIch
At home, it can reside on the docking cradle for power.

Amazon should've included the option to switch from "always listening" to "tap to listen".

For a portable "up close and personal device", I think it should've been smaller.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Echo Dot turns any speaker or *audio system* into an Echo.
Like a home theater receiver.
And, you can order the Echo Dot from the Fire TV stick...
So, if instead of ordering a voice remote for the stick I order a Dot...

I'm thinking... I'm thinking...
(Which is something I need to stop. Like, right now.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #13
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I had a giftcard waiting for something so I just ordered one through Alexa.

Actually I send hubby the announcement and he ordered me to get one.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

The Dot would make a great audiobook player all by itself. No need to add speakers.

I'll wait for a price drop.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I had a giftcard waiting for something so I just ordered one through Alexa.

Actually I send hubby the announcement and he ordered me to get one.
Be sure and give us a review after you've had it awhile. What I'm most interested in is the speaker. How loud does it get and how good is its sound quality?