Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-29-2022, 04:03 PM   #1
mmobes
mmobes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
AZW3 or KFX?

Pretty new to converting books. I have a bunch in EPUB format, and I know that my Kindle Oasis won’t display those, so I’m going through the task of converting.

I’m pretty familiar with AZW3, but I notice KFX is now an option. Is that a better format or is there some reason to go with KFX instead of AZW3?
mmobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:39 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
KFX - enhanced typography
AZW3 - the FONT_RAMP hack (custom font sizes)

If you don't care about either, then it doesn't really matter which one you use.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2022, 04:43 PM   #3
mmobes
mmobes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
KFX - enhanced typography
AZW3 - the FONT_RAMP hack (custom font sizes)

If you don't care about either, then it doesn't really matter which one you use.
Thanks for keeping it simple for me!

So it won’t have any effect on getting X-Ray content or any of that stuff?
mmobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:45 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmobes View Post
Thanks for keeping it simple for me!

So it won’t have any effect on getting X-Ray content or any of that stuff?
X-ray only works with direct Amazon downloads, AFAIK (I've never used the feature, so don't take it as absolute truth).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 05:18 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The WordDumb plugin can create the files needed to enable Word Wise and X-ray for either format.

The Amazon web page Enhanced Typesetting and Page Flip describes the features enabled by using KFX format.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2022, 05:26 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmobes View Post
Pretty new to converting books. I have a bunch in EPUB format, and I know that my Kindle Oasis won’t display those, so I’m going through the task of converting.

I’m pretty familiar with AZW3, but I notice KFX is now an option. Is that a better format or is there some reason to go with KFX instead of AZW3?
If you need/want to edit the Kindle eBook, then you will need to use KF8 (AZW3).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:10 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you need/want to edit the Kindle eBook, then you will need to use KF8 (AZW3).
Or they can just edit their existing epubs and do another conversion. Which is something I would have thought you would suggest.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote