Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Jazz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
... I never leave the Nano because there's no Jazz on local stations.
No Jazz? Wow, I never realized that Canada was quite such a raging wilderness!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
No Jazz? Wow, I never realized that Canada was quite such a raging wilderness!
Good one!

There's almost no Jazz, well, not daytime. Plenty of Briney Spears though! Top 40's the norm.

But we have The Montreal Jazz Festival coming up!

Most radio stations being French lessens the chance too. And the Law the forces 15% Canadian content and 10% francophone won't help either.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Britney Spears? It's even worse than I thought!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Creepy ain't it?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Most radio stations being French lessens the chance too. And the Law the forces 15% Canadian content and 10% francophone won't help either.
There are no French Jazz musicians?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
That's one of the reasons why I have books on the Nano. And I never leave the Nano because there's no Jazz on local stations.
You can listen to jazz from KPLU any time you like -- Seattle's finest! Enjoy!

Last edited by mogui; 06-21-2007 at 02:20 PM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
There are no French Jazz musicians?
There are many but they're not top 40. Our audience being small there is no viable pecuniary incentive for a radio station specialized in Jazz. 1% of the 3 million Montréal region population will not cut it. The CRTC who controls the Canadian airwaves issued a permit for a Jazz station. The outfit that claimed it has only 10% Jazz, the rest is worldbeat, folk and plain popular music. You have to suffer through a whole hour to listen to one "Quote" Jazz song by someone like Norah Jones??!?? Give me a break, that's not Jazz! Worse off they only offer singers, no instrumentals!

I used to play Jazz before I cut two fingers off woodworking, so I'm as marginal as other musicians. And kids today are not into it much so I guess a Jazz station has no future here. Luckily there's internet radio and podcasts, I love those....and record shops, and clubs and the Jazzfest.

That is why the Nano rarely leaves me.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
I used to play Jazz before I cut two fingers off woodworking, so I'm as marginal as other musicians. And kids today are not into it much so I guess a Jazz station has no future here.
Ouch!

I just went to a middle school concert. My daughter is in the chorus, and they did ok, but I have to say I was really quite impressed with the small "jazz band," particularly their rendition of "Jammin' with Charlie" as arranged by Sorenson/Pearson (evidently a staple of middle school jazz bands, to judge by the google search results). No fewer than five instrumental solos, each with plenty of personality, and the director was able to simply walk away from the podium and let the kids play, for the most part. It was cool.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
I used to play Jazz before I cut two fingers off woodworking, so I'm as marginal as other musicians.
That's tough enough to lose your fingers, but to lose your music with it has got to be worse. What instrument did you play?

I'm a big fan of soft jazz or melodic jazz. I don't care for the kind that completely forgets the melody with variations that lose me completely, or get so contemporary it sounds more like noise than music.

Fortunately, the new generation of mp3 sources and online streaming libraries is great for all of us that love music which isn't in the Top 100 of some genre's list!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

I played elctric bass in a fusion group, young but getting good. Almost fell in a depression, couldn't work nor play music. A tough 8 months... still get nightmares even after 30years.

I really stick to security instructions now. In fact it was real helpful in teaching newbies when I was foreman. Just show the stubs and they listen real good! I only lost the first phalanx so the fingers are usable for anything else other than music... and finger painting
Old 06-21-2007, 10:18 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
There are many but they're not top 40. Our audience being small there is no viable pecuniary incentive for a radio station specialized in Jazz. 1% of the 3 million Montréal region population will not cut it. The CRTC who controls the Canadian airwaves issued a permit for a Jazz station. The outfit that claimed it has only 10% Jazz, the rest is worldbeat, folk and plain popular music. You have to suffer through a whole hour to listen to one "Quote" Jazz song by someone like Norah Jones??!?? Give me a break, that's not Jazz! Worse off they only offer singers, no instrumentals!
Believe me, it's not much better in Washington, D.C.! Our last real jazz stations were college stations, all kaput now, leaving us with what segments of jazz they play on NPR, and "jazzy" stations (umph... 'scuze me while I barf). If it weren't for satellite and internet radio, I'd never hear any jazz that wasn't in my own collection. (And judging by the new internet laws on the rosters, we may not have internet radio much longer.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Oh noooo!

I rely on NPR too. From 8 to 10, heck of a day's Jazz !!?!!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:46 PM   #13
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Jazz story

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Ouch!

I just went to a middle school concert. My daughter is in the chorus, and they did ok, but I have to say I was really quite impressed with the small "jazz band," particularly their rendition of "Jammin' with Charlie" as arranged by Sorenson/Pearson (evidently a staple of middle school jazz bands, to judge by the google search results). No fewer than five instrumental solos, each with plenty of personality, and the director was able to simply walk away from the podium and let the kids play, for the most part. It was cool.
Yes Neko, it is wonderful to be a part of that. When my second-youngest daughter was in middle school we rented a tenor sax for her and she joined the school band. Within a few weeks she was in the jazz band too. We were proud!

That year the band director decided the jazz band should take a shot at the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival in Moscow Idaho. Most of the band piled into a school bus and a cloud of proud parents followed in SUVs through the winter bluster.

The band had a real asset in the person of Mike Allen -- the grandson of Steve Allen. He was outstanding. The band had some flashy numbers like "Killer Joe" and "Round Midnight". The band had never competed before anywhere, but to our surprise and delight they came in second place. The winning school was a magnet school for young musicians -- Washington Middle School.

Soon we realized Mike would move on to high school. We had had a taste of glory and didn't want to give it up. We needed another strong piano player. Along came a young fellow that worked very hard, though he hadn't played piano before. His mother was very involved in the band and in her son's musical education. They hired Seattle jazz musicians to come to our island to teach young Aaron.

Soon Aaron would move on, as would my daughter and our great band director. Aaron Parks went on to the University of Washington at 14, became a National Merit Scholar at 15, and transferred to the Manhattan School of Music at 16 to study under piano great, Kenny Barron. He records under Keynote. One never knows.

Last edited by mogui; 06-21-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:31 PM   #14
mogui
eNigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
(And judging by the new internet laws on the rosters, we may not have internet radio much longer.)
Huh!? What is this?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Say Mogui! What's the Chinese take on Jazz? Are there any clubs there?