Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
Tefeari
Tefeari began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Waterfield Reader Cases

So has anyone tried the new Waterfield Sony Reader cases?
http://www.sfbags.com/products/sonyr...sonyreader.htm

I'm particularly interested in the SleeveCase and would love some prior opinions.
Tefeari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if you have a 505, I suggest emailing or calling about the case to make sure it will fit a 505 since all the photos show a 500.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Tefeari

How different are the dimensions?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I don't know about the Sony model, but I've got a Waterfield sleevecase for my Thinkpad. Top notch materials and craftsmanship, and it still looks like new after a couple of years' use.

The guy that runs the outfit is really nice about answering questions, so I agree with the suggestion to email them. If he says it'll fit, it will.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
I love Waterfield and have bought three laptop sleevecases from them. They are on the spendy side, but the one I bought for my Alphasmart Dana back in 2003 looks just as good as the one I bought for my new laptop last summer. (Minus the fact they've since added a nice pocket in the back).

I've found their customer service fabulous, getting back to me quickly. They emailed me a personal, rather than generic email when the product I ordered was going to be delayed in shipping, and worked really hard to get it to me by the time school started and make sure that I knew what my options were and what they could do. I love them and recommend them to anyone.

I haven't tried them for the reader case, and didn't know they had one. I would email them and ask them if it would fit the 505, as suggested, as they reply really quickly. As far as quality, I've kept my laptops and Dana in them in my backpack that wasn't always treated gently and didn't have any problems, and the Dana has an unprotected screen. The cases are really thick and sturdy. I'd try it.

Plus, I would assume with the Sleevecase, if you get the strap you could also attach the piggyback like you can with the bigger ones, giving you a whole purse option. That would be another thing I would ask though.

Actually, I would probably ask if it fit in the sleevecase with the standard case on. Being the paranoid person I am I would be using it for an additional case, not as the only case, but all the pictures are of naked Readers.

Last edited by MidknytOwl; 08-21-2008 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Thought of the last paragraph
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With the stock cases on, the 505 is a tad thinner and a tad wider.

for the 500 ... Measurements: Approx. 6.9" x 4.9" x 0.5" (175.6 x 123.6 x 13.8mm)
for the 505 ... Measurements: 6.9" x 4.8" x 0.3". (175 x 122 x 8mm)

So no, they are not exactly the same size and if the fit is meant to be a tight fit, it might not work. So best to call and mention the differences between the size of the 500 and 505. But with the civers, the sizes are different and I don't have the measurements for that.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I remember seeing a review of their cases for the Kindle last fall, I'll see if I can track it down.
That said, the slip case looks very nice. If anybody out there has one I'd love to read a short review.

****edited to add:
here's the Gadgeteer's review of the Waterfield Kindle cases:
http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/amaz...terfield_cases
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Well, that was fast. I emailed Waterfield and got a response within about a half hour. Here's the exchange:
Quote:
Hello -
I saw a link to your page for Sony Reader cases in a MobileRead forums posting (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28052). The cases look great, but we were wondering if the cases will fit the newer PRS-505 model of Reader. All the product images show the older PRS-500 model with the cases. The dimensions of the devices are not that different, though the 505 is about 0.2" thinner and 0.1" narrower than its predecessor.

Thanks!

- Kerry
Quote:
Thanks for thinking of us Kerry. From our understanding the specs from Sony are the same for the new model (6.9"x4.8"x0.3"). Of course, we will defer to you folks on the forum. If the size is a tad bit smaller for the new 505, the cases should fit well.

Hope that this helps. Anything else, please let us know.

Best regards,
Tanja
Sooo . . . looks like they think the cases should fit fine. I may order the slip case I have my eye on and if it's too loose I'll return it.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Please let us know if they fit. If any of the cases are a tight fit with the cover on, then that may not fit.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Well, that was fast. I emailed Waterfield and got a response within about a half hour.
Told you they were fabulous with their customer service.
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Sooo . . . looks like they think the cases should fit fine. I may order the slip case I have my eye on and if it's too loose I'll return it.
How does the case attach to the 500? If it uses the connector on the back of the reader then it probably won't work with the 505 which uses a different attachment method.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #12
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
How does the case attach to the 500? If it uses the connector on the back of the reader then it probably won't work with the 505 which uses a different attachment method.

BOb
The slipcase seems to be meant for a bare Reader. And it's silly IMO. No strap (which would make it useful), plus to use the Reader you have to set down or put away the slipcase and use the Reader bare. The free stock cover works fine while attached to the Reader.

The other cases look like larger, somewhat generic cases that will fit a Reader in or out of its cover. (The sleeve case might be just for a bare Reader.) They don't attach. I have seen better (and cheaper!) cases that people use here which are simple zippered daytimer cases or the like.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #13
Tefeari

Well, I got the SleeveCase, it seems to be nicely made, there is a huge amount of padding on the inside and the fit is tight.

However, the fit is so tight the reader will not fit in with it's bookcover. I'm not sure how I feel about this and am debating on whether or not to return it for the next size up.

If anyone wants any pictures I can post some.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #14
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefeari View Post
Well, I got the SleeveCase, it seems to be nicely made, there is a huge amount of padding on the inside and the fit is tight.

However, the fit is so tight the reader will not fit in with it's bookcover. I'm not sure how I feel about this and am debating on whether or not to return it for the next size up.

If anyone wants any pictures I can post some.
I'd like pictures, please!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #15
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
Just to echo compliments to Waterfield Designs... they are fabulous!

In fact, the creation of this case comes after folks wrote to them (including me) asking for a Waterfield case for the Sony Reader. They were very open to the idea and kept in contact with me about the progress they were making on the case. I pointed them to these forums as evidence of a demand for more cases for the Reader.

See here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=waterfield
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote