Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-22-2021, 05:41 AM   #1
selefa
selefa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra h2o
Pocketbook Inkpad 3 or Kobo Libra H2O?

Hi! guys.
I want to buy an ebook reader (it is my first time) and I am between Kobo Libra H2O and Pocketbook Inkpad 3. Both of them have similar specs and prices (at least in my country), but I really like Libra's design. On the other hand, I like that the Pocketbook has an audiobook capability and the fact that it is not connected with a bookstore is a plus.

I am a heavy reader (5-7 hours a day), so my main worry is about battery life. My other worry is about the dictionary. I heard that in Kobo we can upload our own dictionary (Greek in my case), but I know nothing in the case of Pocketbook.

Give me your lights, please.
selefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:17 AM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I find the Libra a delight to read with, although I only average 3-4 hours a day. The tie in to the Kobo store is easily worked around by registering with a dummy or throwaway email address, and by using Calibre to manage your library, not only can you load the Libra with books from any store, the reader will get charged every time you connect it to your pc to run Calibre. Win-win
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2021, 06:55 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I find the Libra a delight to read with, although I only average 3-4 hours a day. The tie in to the Kobo store is easily worked around by registering with a dummy or throwaway email address, and by using Calibre to manage your library, not only can you load the Libra with books from any store, the reader will get charged every time you connect it to your pc to run Calibre. Win-win
You are not tied into Kobo's store if you properly register. I'm properly registered and I am not tied to any store. So please don't give incorrect information about registering.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:02 AM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are not tied into Kobo's store if you properly register. I'm properly registered and I am not tied to any store. So please don't give incorrect information about registering.
I too am properly registered and buy books from various sources. My response was to the OP, to reassure them that if it matters sufficiently to them (it doesn't to me), they need not have any "real" tie to the Kobo store.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I too am properly registered and buy books from various sources. My response was to the OP, to reassure them that if it matters sufficiently to them (it doesn't to me), they need not have any "real" tie to the Kobo store.
But there is no real tie to the Kobo store by properly registering. That's the thing. You are making something out of nothing and confusing things s well.
Advert
Old 03-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you buy now from the Kobo UK store, you can buy a Kobo Forma 32GB for £149. That's the same price as the Libra.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:12 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
If you buy now from the Kobo UK store, you can buy a Kobo Forma 32GB for £149. That's the same price as the Libra.
Country/Region - United Kingdom.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
And you had to say it again?

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-22-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #9
selefa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I am not from the UK, so the site doesn't allow me to buy it from there or from any other county. I tried it 3 months ago without success.
Also, now with Brexit, I will pay customs and most of the time the final price will be huge.

Quote:
But there is no real tie to the Kobo store by properly registering. That's the thing. You are making something out of nothing and confusing things s well.
So.... because I confused a little... What do you mean by "the properly register"? I have a kobo account with my regular email. Is this not a proper register? Also, I knew that kobo advertizes his store. You mean that is something like amazon and the audiobooks, in which you can hear it only if you had bought it from the audible?
Old 03-22-2021, 11:43 AM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
And you had to say it again?
Of course - it wasn't mentioned before that it can only be bought with a UK address - but not from "outside".

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-22-2021 at 11:45 AM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:57 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by selefa View Post
So.... because I confused a little... What do you mean by "the properly register"? I have a kobo account with my regular email. Is this not a proper register? Also, I knew that kobo advertizes his store. You mean that is something like amazon and the audiobooks, in which you can hear it only if you had bought it from the audible?
You are properly registered.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:27 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Since Kobo does not verify the email address, quite a few people will register with an invented email address (whatsmyname@foo.bar for instance), so generally properly registered means that you have registered with a real email address.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:13 PM   #13
selefa

hm! ok now I get it.
About dictionaries... do you have any thoughts on that?
Old 03-23-2021, 03:17 AM   #14
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Quote:
hm! ok now I get it.
About dictionaries... do you have any thoughts on that?
Both devices come with dictionaries. The Pocketbook uses a format that's more unusual than the Kobo format but you can get additional dictionaries for both. So you can get a Klingon dictionary regardless of your choice of reader.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:08 PM   #15
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
Battery life on my Inkpad 3 is very good; I read 4/6 hours most days and a charge lasts at least 2 weeks. That's with wi-fi off, very little use of the front light and no sleep cover.
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote