Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-15-2023, 08:41 AM   #1
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
New PocketBook InkPad 4

The Pocketbook family has expanded a bit with the new addition Inkpad 4.

PocketBook is thrilled to announce the next e-reader in the popular “InkPad” product line. The new PocketBook InkPad 4 features a 7.8-inch screen with the latest E Ink Carta™ 1200 generation technology, a built-in speaker, Bluetooth®, and water protection with IPX8 capabilities.

Traditionally for InkPads, it includes the adaptive SMARTlight, audiobooks support and Text-to-Speech function.

Thanks to the new modern design, the PocketBook InkPad 4 is compact, perfectly ergonomic, and stylish. Discreet front and back panels in black contrast with moon-silver edging. Despite the large screen, the device weighs only 265 g, making it equally convenient for relaxing reading and reading on the go.

The new PocketBook InkPad 4 will be available in the next two weeks.
The E Ink Carta™ 1200 screen is even more eye-friendly

PocketBook InkPad 4 has the latest 7.8-inch E Ink Carta™ 1200 screen with a resolution of 1404 × 1872 and 300 PPI. With this new technology, the electronic page has 15% more contrast, while the E Ink response time has increased by 20%.

The new e-reader also stands out with a screen size as close as possible to a standard printed book. It makes it highly convenient for reading any content: from ordinary fiction books to professional literature, magazines, and even comics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	35223-02_inkpad_4_pocketbook.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	201052
Change the frontlight tone with the SMARTlight

Thanks to the SMARTlight function, users can enjoy safe reading in any lighting. The adaptive frontlight allows you to adjust not only the brightness of the screen but also the color temperature, choosing a warm or cool tone. Soft light from SMARTlight allows you to read comfortably even in complete darkness while the e-reader's screen remains eye-friendly.

Built-in speaker, Text-to-Speech, and other audio functions

PocketBook InkPad 4 supports 6 audio formats and features a built-in speaker. It provides a new level of freedom to all audiobook fans as they can listen to any audio file directly on the e-reader without any other devices. Thanks to Bluetooth, PocketBook InkPad 4 can always be paired with wireless headphones, speakers, and other audio systems to enjoy an audiobook in any convenient format.

Particularly noteworthy is the Text-to-Speech function, which turns the e-reader into a real storyteller. With just two clicks, PocketBook InkPad 4 will read aloud any text file with a natural-sounding voice in one of 26 available languages. In other words, users can quickly turn any ordinary text into a real audiobook.

IPX8 water resistance and scratch protection

PocketBook InkPad 4 is protected against the harmful effects of water according to the IPX8 rate. The e-reader can withstand immersion into fresh water to a depth of 2 meters for up to 60 minutes.

Also, the device's screen received improved protection against scratches, which will be great news for users who like to read on the go. Water resistance and additional screen protection will give readers even more confidence in the device's safety and allow them to enjoy their favourite book anywhere.

Other PocketBook InkPad 4 features:

• Support for 21 book and 4 graphic formats without conversion;
• Support for 6 audio formats;
• Wi-Fi and Cloud service - for synchronisation with other devices and convenient library management;
• 32 GB of internal storage - enough space to collect a huge library that is always on hand;
• 2000 mAh battery - up to a month of active reading without recharging;
• Dual-core processor - for smooth page-turning and fast e-reader operation;
• Automatic screen rotation – the e-reader automatically changes the screen's orientation for additional reading convenience;
• A large number of dictionaries - 11 pre-installed language combinations and 42 combinations available for free download;
Light and compact– despite the large screen, the e-reader weighs only 265 g, while its dimensions are 134 × 189.5 × 7.95 mm.

YOUTBE LINK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuK2...nel=PocketBook

https://youtu.be/wuK2DUCSOho

Last edited by issybird; 05-24-2023 at 07:23 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 03:13 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Looks nice!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2023, 07:14 AM   #3
alexwent
alexwent began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Inkpad 4 first thoughts

Disclaimer. I've not yet seen the InkPad 4 in the open, so these thoughts are based on online research only.

1) Weight. At 265g, the InkPad 4 is 55g heavier than its predecessor. However, while the InkPad 3's combined weight with 140g cover is 350g, the Inkpad 4's - with a 73g microfibre cover - is only 338g.

2) Screen. The contrast is reputedly 15% greater with the new E-InkCarta 1200 tech, so that may make it better for my tired old eyes. The InkPad 3 smartlight is pretty good, though I always find myself wanting more just in terms of basic brightness.

The other news is that the screen is scratch-resistant (In fact it looks like a single top layer, without raised bezels) Even so I'd probably want a flip cover to reproduce the book experience (but see above on weight)

3) Speed. The preview video from GoodEReader shows a marked improvement in response times. That's pretty good, given that the RAM is still only 1GB

4) Storage. No SD card reader as in its predecessor, but 32 GB internal instead.

5) Speakers. Probably more useful for audiobook enthusiasts. tbh (for other audio I tend to use my phone or an external speaker). Two observations: a) it's odd that they are both mounted on the same side in such close proximity. b) As far as voice-tech goes, a comment on the official PB Youtube channel draws attention to the alien tones of the default reader in an age when (as we all know) AI can do so much better.

Will I get one? Not this time round. I would prefer something lighter (in weight), brighter (in lumens), and with higher RAM. My old InkPad 3, despite a worn surface and one cracked bezel, continues to serve me well.
alexwent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 05:45 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I'm happy to see that it retains the rectangular shape with the four buttons at the bottom. And nothing about "Powered by Android" but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't. I'm hoping that, if there is ever an HD 4, it retains the original shape, vertical lighting and the four buttons (and Linux) as well.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:50 AM   #5
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
They haven't changed it to Android. The performance seems glacial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jahdj0N_jsw (Goodereader review, so not worth much, but it does show the complete lack of anything even resembling speed).
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2023, 09:16 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 10:41 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I like the 7.8" (symmetrical) form factor and button placement. Performance does not look bad to me.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 03:48 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
"...they're very nice, they're very attractive. And what I mean by that is that we are literally attracted to them."

I'm glad he explained that because I thought "attractive" meant that we were repelled by them. I didn't watch the whole review. Did we get to see a Dungeon's & Dragons PDF again?
Old 05-27-2023, 03:52 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I like the 7.8" (symmetrical) form factor and button placement. Performance does not look bad to me.
I was happy to see the symmetrical reader as well. I thought maybe they had abandoned this design (their recent releases have been asymmetrical). Also agree that the performance didn't look terrible to me — and PocketBook usually releases a new version of the firmware shortly after they release a new reader. I'm guessing they kind of use their first buyers as beta testers.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:56 AM   #10
etn
etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Pocketbook
I just upgraded my 5-year old inkpad 3 to the inkpad 4.
First impressions:

Positive:
- the size of the inkpad 4 is roughly the same as inkpad 3. However the cover is much smaller on the 4. The cover also clips on the corner of the device (contrarily to inkpad 3 cover, which fully encloses the reader.) As a result the overall size - particularly thickness - is lower.
- Seems somewhat faster than inkpad 3. It might be just an impression. The user interface is identical on both models.
- USB-C connector!! Thank Goodness! (this was my major reason for upgrading, as the USB connector of my inkpad 3 is becoming inoperative.)
- Memory boost to 32 GB.

Neutral:
- I saw a significant battery drain in the first hours of use of the inkpad 4; however 1) I used it at max brightness and 2) I loaded my full library into it, I expect some indexing might take place. I expect the battery drain to stabilize at similar levels than inkpad 3 shortly (if not I will report back here.)
- max brightness is less bright than the max brightness of the inkpad 3. No biggie for me as I rarely -if ever- use the reader at full brightness.
- IPX 8, I don't need this but I am now less worried when cleaning the device!

Negative:
- the "night" display is much more yellow on the inkpad 4 than on the 3, which is more red. I prefer a more red display.
- during install I was stuck with a "login into your pocketbook store account". I don't (well, didn't ) have a store account, nor did I want one. I could not go past this step without logging in. This is a bummer. I created one (fortunately I was not asked for credit card information) and logged out of it as soon as the setup was completed. Pity this step had to take place, I was not asked this when setting up my inkpad 3.

Hope this helps
etn
etn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:05 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by etn View Post
Hope this helps
etn
Thanks for the review. Does the InkPad 4 have the extra glass layer, like the Era? Some people have complained about the lower contrast on the Era.
Old 06-22-2023, 02:20 AM   #12
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Thanks for the review. Does the InkPad 4 have the extra glass layer, like the Era? Some people have complained about the lower contrast on the Era.
(Thanks @etn for the review!)

PocketBook says "The [InkPad 4] e-reader’s screen features enhanced protection against scratches" which seems like either an extra protective layer, or an enhanced existing layer.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 02:50 PM   #13
etn
etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Hi, sorry for the delay in answering. Yes, there is a glass layer. I have no experience with the Era but from pictures, it seems a similar design.
The contrast seems good and in no way lower than on Inkpad 3. I personally have no issue with it.

The latest firmware (released a few days ago) adds dark mode i.e. white text on black background. Not sure what to think of it. One disturbing thing about it is that the screen briefly flashes white when doing a full page refresh. I assume there's no other way to achieve a page refresh. I might be overly sensitive to it, particularly as I tried dark mode in the middle of the night with very low front light level and no other light in the bedroom.
Old 07-05-2023, 02:54 PM   #14
etn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
(Thanks @etn for the review!)

PocketBook says "The [InkPad 4] e-reader’s screen features enhanced protection against scratches" which seems like either an extra protective layer, or an enhanced existing layer.
Yes. Contrarily to the Inkpad 3, the display is "flat" under a glass panel. Cleaning is definitely easier than Inkpad 3. The material as well as the buttons seem more high-end and provide a better tactile feel.

As a side note, I wish Pocketbook had chosen the 8" display (which is also in the Tolino Epos 3 - my other contender for my reader upgrade) instead of the 7.8". Not a big difference but larger is better...