Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2024, 12:27 AM   #1
redryder
redryder began at the beginning.

Device: none
New owner - how do I display japanese books with vertical text?

In calibre the japanese epub displays with vertical text.
I've installed Koreader on my Elipsa, and used Calibre to transfer the file. But it still displays with horizontal text in Koreader.

What else do I need to do?
redryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 02:39 AM   #2
user105
user105 began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2, pw2, sony prs 505
Hello , , there is a custom patch to try to implement it,
https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/11469

Does this work for you?
user105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2024, 03:19 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you are not totally wedded to using KOReader, send the ePubs to your Kobo after running them through kepubify or using the KoboTouchExtended driver to convert them on the fly. The WebKit based renderer used for kepubs works very well with Japanese books with their totally weird typography.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 06:11 PM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
New owner - how do I display japanese books with vertical text?

Another solution which I used with a spare Kobo is to set Japanese as the default language. Then there are no issues with displaying Japanese or English.

I have not tested this default Japanese setup with Koreader, however, so this suggestion may not be as helpful.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote