Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #1
embryo
Fanatic
embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Some bugs and suggestions

After some holidays with koreader opened some issues at github.
To improve an already very good reader.

Footer hides text
Sometimes, depending on an epub style, some text is hidden by the progress bar (the mini one at the bottom).
With normal style everything looks OK.
But if there is a header in the page, something is about to cut off.
Shouldn’t the size of the progress bar be taken into account and force the line to the next page?

Save history file when highlighting
As I understand it, the "metadata.epub.lua" for a book, is updated when closing koreader or opening another book.
The problem is that, sometimes, after I read a big part of a book and highlight a lot of mistakes for later fixing, the koreader would crash and all these highlights are gone for ever!
After that I have to re-read the same part, which I don't!
It has happened to me a few times and I wonder if we could have an option to save the changes to the file when they occur, or after a page turn, or whatever, but more frequently...

Dialog when reopening book at start
This is something that concerns the readers with an external SD card.
It takes some time to mount the card's partition.
When I have koreader to open with the last book and that book is on the external SD, koreader starts in file browser.
If I wait a little, it opens with the book.
The problem is I don't know how little...
It would be nice if there was a dialog saying the book is not available and give the option to retry or cancel to the file browser.

A way to see long filenames
While browsing my books with the file browser, it would be nice to have a way to see long filenames.
The files of my books are formatted as 'Author' - 'series name' 'series nr' 'title'.
So a name like "Larry Niven & Edward M. Lerner - Fleet of Worlds 02 Juggler of Worlds.epub" is impossible to view and impossible to distinguish from the other books in the same series.
The same is true for the History dialog.
There, it gets more complicated since the order is always changing depending on the last opened time.
A workaround (not a full solution) would be to have a way to change to Landscape view, or a way to decrease/increase the font size.
A better solution would be to have a way of horizontal scrolling (with steps of half a page to the right/left)

Where are the history files?
I'm not really sure where the book's metadata.epub.lua is saved.
I don't remember well, but I think it used to be in a folder by the book, with the book's name + '.sdr' but with some newer koreader versions is in the /Koreader/History folder as "[#mnt#sd#.Books#Banks, Iain M_#] Iain M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn.epub.lua", and now with some even newer versions its again in the ".sdr" folders.
There are differences if it’s on the internal or external maybe??
Is there a foolproof way to find these files?
I'm interested because I have written an app to get the highlights from these files and I wanted to add a semi-auto way to retrieve them.

Edit: Add some more...
Chapter marks don't show in mini progress bar
When I first open a book although there are some chapters in it, the progress bar is empty.
I have to close and reopen the book to see the bar marks.

Light level after suspend
When the KOBO_LIGHT_ON_START is some value (I used 5, 10, 20) the light does not open after waking from suspend.
It works OK with -2

Last edited by embryo; 09-19-2016 at 04:06 PM.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
Chapter marks don't show in mini progress bar
When I first open a book although there are some chapters in it, the progress bar is empty.
I have to close and reopen the book to see the bar marks.
This is something I noticed also.

My solution, if I really want to see chapter marks, I exit koreader and enter it again.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert