Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #46
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
The Dictionary is a very old cry on the Astak thread that was NOT listened to. This is my one shame! Now that we have the factory's ear... let me again bring up the need for the dictionary. I will not quit until it can be accomodated!
Note that eReader supports dictionaries. This does not necessarily mean that the new eReader SDK will do so, and I think this only works inside eReader ebooks (i.e. you can't open the eReader dictionary inside other ebook types, as is possible with MOBI on some devices).

Open InkPot has added dictionary support, and it started out in CoolReader only (e.g. for FB2 ebooks). One issue for open source dictionary apps is that all commercial dictionaries come with DRM. However, there are freely available dictionaries, see dictd-dictionary. These are packaged for Linux, but the list gives you an idea of what is available. I think these "dictd" format dictionaries are the ones used by Lbook also on the Hanlin V3. If you get dictd dictionaries working in the EZ Readers, it might be possible to bundle a commercial dictionary by including it in the firmware (to get round the DRM requirement). That adds extra cost for the dictionary licence. Both Amazon and Sony (PRS-600 only) have gone this route, and both ended up licensing their dictionaries from Oxford press.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #47
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Question Question on download firmwares

Question:

I've downloaded (Not installed) the firmware from earlier this week. If the next firmware comes on Monday, as possible, and I download it, do I need to install them in sequence, or does the newest firmware include all the previous firmware downloads?

(I get my PEZ on Thursday: )

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #48
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
No all you will need is the newest release of the firmware

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Robertb, will the new firmware support history? What history is is being able to navigate back and forwards via the pages you've been too. So say you were reading a book that has endnotes and you use the link to go read the endnote, if you did not have history, you would not be able to go back to where you were unless you remembered the page number and jumped directly to that page. This is something very important. Not all eBooks will have a go back link.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #50
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
I wouldn't call them bugs... I think all new products with a brand new DRM format will need to be massaged a bit.
That's right... they are "undocumented features"!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #51
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Robert are we still on schedule for the firmware update today?

Chuck
Old 09-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #52
jwsheets
Connoisseur
jwsheets began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Robertb, will we be seeing the firrmware update today that you said was scheduled for today?
jwsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #53
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I received my PP yesterday and my first impressions were not favorable. The screen contrast is slightly less than my Sony 505 -- which is disappointing. The jump in font size from the small to the next step was annoying, but appears to be addressed by the firmware upgrade (which went without too much trouble). I personally don't like the layout of the keys -- page turns in particular -- but will get used to it. It is not easy to read one-handed with the cover in place -- would likely be better without the cover.

Calibre does not recognize the Pocket Pro so books have to be transferred by copying to a drive. Hopefully that will be addressed in the future because I prefer using Calibre.

One thing I really don't like is the tiny tiny fonts on the menus.

Another niggle is that it doesn't always seem to respond to key presses...drives me crazy when that happens.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #54
cvkemp
Loving life

We were told that a new firmware update was come out yesterday but did not make up. I beleive that means that they are working on some of the other suggestions that were given and trying to put more into the update.

Robert B please let us know what you can tell us about the firmware update.

Chuck
Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #55
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Calibre does not recognize the Pocket Pro so books have to be transferred by copying to a drive. Hopefully that will be addressed in the future because I prefer using Calibre.
I thought it saw it as a BeBook. If so it should transfer books ok even without labeling the device as a PP.

EDIT: Looks like Kovid is working on it showing as a PP.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #56
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I thought it saw it as a BeBook. If so it should transfer books ok even without labeling the device as a PP.

EDIT: Looks like Kovid is working on it showing as a PP.
Yes, it think it's a BeBook, but you can't transfer the books that way. You have to use savetodisc or manually copy/drag and drop
Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The Calibre issue is not Astak's problem at all. It's nothing to do with them. So mentioning it the way you did makes it seem like Astak is at fault because Calibre doesn't recognize your PP.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #58
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Calibre issue is not Astak's problem at all. It's nothing to do with them. So mentioning it the way you did makes it seem like Astak is at fault because Calibre doesn't recognize your PP.
Only to you Wolf.

My list was not addressed to Astak, but just a list of my initial impressions/issues.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #59
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
YAYYY!! PDF's are now readable!!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #60
kennyc

Quote:
Yes, it think it's a BeBook, but you can't transfer the books that way. You have to use savetodisc or manually copy/drag and drop
To follow up here. I was unaware that the BeBook and the Pocket Pro are literally the same Jinke Device rebranded.

From another Thread:

-----------------------
Okay so I'm more informed than I was yesterday. The main problem I was having here was due to

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzilla View Post
Now that I think about it, I got an error from Calibre the first time it recognized the device, too. In my case, it was Calibre not liking the Chinese version of the manual that is included on the reader. Unfortunately I didn't write the error message down, but I think it had something to do with Calibre being unable to read the metadata from the file. I removed the Chinese manual and haven't gotten any other error messages from Calibre when using the Pocket Pro.
And this was causing it to not read the internal or SD card to find the books already there.

I also was unaware that a BeBook Reader is the same hardware both from Jinke Electronics just rebranded.

SO bottom line here is that Calibre DOES recognize the Astak Pocket Pro, but as a BeBook Mini. The transfer of books/files/news all work properly .... but you have to get rid to that chinese manual because it screws up the works.

I'm much happier with this set up now. My only remaining issue with the Pocket Pro is that tiny font size on the menus!

--------------------------