Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2023, 11:54 PM   #76
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hmm...
  1. Connect to your wireless network.
  2. From either Home or My Books, tap on More.
  3. Tap on Settings.
  4. Tap on Overdrive.
  5. If you haven't set up OverDrive before, you should see the first image. Tap on Sign in to OverDrive
  6. You should now see the second image. Tap on Get Started
  7. You will now be asked to Find a public library. This will be your main library and the only one you can browse from the Kobo. Enter enough of your library name to have it show in the search results and tap Go. This is the page in the third image.
  8. If everything looks good, you will see the page as seen in the fourth image. I tried all three ways. The QR code worked from my phone and the browser login worked from my desktop. You will need to have your overdrive credentials.
  9. Once you have signed in on OverDrive, your Kobo will automagically switch to the fifth image and you should be happily setup.

So now any books borrowed from a library configured in your OverDrive account will now sync to your Kobo if they are available from Kobo (basically, the ISBNs must match).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image_01.png
Views:	91
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	204779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image_02.png
Views:	94
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	204780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image_03.png
Views:	77
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	204781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image_04.png
Views:	86
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	204784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image_05.png
Views:	87
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	204785  

Last edited by DNSB; 11-18-2023 at 12:01 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 05:35 AM   #77
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmm... [list=1][*]Connect to your wireless network.
[*]From either Home or My Books, tap on More.[...]
OK, but the line I quoted referred to logging in to the Libby app with one's Overdrive account.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2023, 06:38 AM   #78
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
OK, but the line I quoted referred to logging in to the Libby app with one's Overdrive account.
I believe they meant "2) have Libby app and (on the Kobo) login using OD account"
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 06:39 PM   #79
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To me that should not have been there. I did not use the Libby app while setting up my Kobo using the steps I detailed and which as the images show, worked. Possibly, a step that was used to check that what account the Libby app was using for the OverDrive connection but unneeded, IMNSHO.
Old 11-19-2023, 08:10 AM   #80
kyôdai
Groupie
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hey guys, could you discuss this somewhere else, please?

This overdrive / library discussion has nothing to do with this topc. (Maybe a mod can seperate the last 20ish posts into their own thread?)
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2023, 08:39 AM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post

This overdrive / library discussion has nothing to do with this topc. (Maybe a mod can seperate the last 20ish posts into their own thread?)
The topic is just guesswork. Nobody will really know what Kobo is bringing out until they do. The other thing is that once the thread is basically over, drift can happen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 04:33 PM   #82
McGonigle
Connoisseur
McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad 2018,
Quote:

+1

I come here to this thread checking if there is some solid news on this as I am looking for a replacement for my 7 year old KA1, not to sort through posts on any unrelated subjects, please.
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 05:15 PM   #83
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
New Kobo coming? Which?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGonigle View Post
+1

I come here to this thread checking if there is some solid news on this as I am looking for a replacement for my 7 year old KA1, not to sort through posts on any unrelated subjects, please.
The real problem here isn’t topic drift. That’s just an average day here on this forum. What’s really a problem is how several people can post several different but definitive ways to link Overdrive and Libby, yet there will always be folks who stubbornly insist that they can’t get any of those methods to work!

At any rate, John is bang on. Without official info, there isn’t much to do except speculate about the upcoming Kobo. Keep an eye on the forums, not necessarily this thread. As we get closer to its release day, some new info almost always slips through the cracks. Confirmation comes from different sources. For example, the Clara 2E’s name was leaked when Rukuten’s online store created a placeholder for a case, IIRC.

At any rate, scolding people isn’t likely to get the result that you want around here. Just post something ON TOPIC and hope that it nudges the flow back towards the topic. Doesn’t always work though. 😁

Last edited by Cootey; 11-21-2023 at 03:01 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 08:24 PM   #84
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Going by the 10-12 week delay for previous Kobo models between the first FCC listing and the release date, anyone coming here looking for information on the new Kobo model is more than a touch premature.
Old 11-19-2023, 08:36 PM   #85
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Deleted due to fear of the green machine.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:17 PM   #86
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I believe they meant "2) have Libby app and (on the Kobo) login using OD account"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
To me that should not have been there. I did not use the Libby app while setting up my Kobo using the steps I detailed and which as the images show, worked. Possibly, a step that was used to check that what account the Libby app was using for the OverDrive connection but unneeded, IMNSHO.
Just to clarify (and doing it here because any official information on the next kobo is likely to spawn an entirely separate thread both in this forum and the news forum)

1) yes I meant having the app and logging in on your kobo to overdrive

2) I mention Libby because it’s the best way to grab books from multiple libraries. It allows for any contingency other than the library not supporting overdrive in which case the point is moot because you need overdrive support to do this

I should have been more clear but I was posting while working and just trying to summarize my older thread on the topic from memory.

I also agree that topic drift happens and that right now we’re all just throwing darts in the dark about what the next Kobo will be. And we’re probably wrong about most of the conjectures especially since quite a few of them are mutually exclusive
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 10:52 PM   #87
DNSB
Bibliophagist

About the only guess I can offer is going by the elabel image and assuming 300DPI, the device is likely to be an 8" device so possibly a Sage 2. And please note that I did say guess though that guess has worked on 3 of the last 5 Kobo releases.
Old 11-20-2023, 06:32 AM   #88
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGonigle View Post
+1

When there is solid news, there will be a fresh thread. Or more than one.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 11:34 AM   #89
elinkser
Groupie
elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I have thought of this aswell.
But unfortunately, as far as I know the model numbers for Kobo e-readers are pretty much random. (Or if there is a concept behind them, we were never able to decipher it...)

There have been other 400 numbers, that have nothing to do with the Libra lineage. N416 was the very first Kobo e-reader ever from 2010. N437 was the Glo HD.

Likewise all the predecessors to the Libra 2 had very different model numbers. Libra H20 was 837, Aura H20 was 250.

Here is a list of model numbers. Maybe someone can make sense of them.

5" devices:

N705 Kobo Mini

6" devices:

N416 Kobo eReader
N647 Kobo WiFi
N905 Kobo Touch
N613 Kobo Glo
N514 Kobo Aura
N437 Kobo Glo HD
N587 Kobo Touch 2.0
N236 Kobo Aura Edition 2
N249 Kobo Clara HD
N306 Kobo Nia
N506 Kobo Clara 2E

7" devices:

N204 Kobo Aura HD
N250 Kobo Aura H2O
N867 Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2
N873 Kobo Libra H2O
N418 Kobo Libra 2

8" devices:

N709 Kobo Aura One
N782 Kobo Forma
N778 Kobo Sage

10" devices:

N604 Kobo Elipsa
N605 Kobo Elipsa 2E

Hey!
While I was trying to figure out wtf NiLuJe was referring to with mk7, mk8, I started poring over these chipsets. And then in dawned on me... these are area codes?
The next device is therefore...New Brunswick!
ok, so no new information...
elinkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 11:50 AM   #90
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Purely anecdotal and probably a heavy dose of confirmation bias...

I have noticed that several times before a Kobo launch some of our most common retailers are out of stock of one model, which just happens to be the model that is replaced some time later.

Right now that is the Sage.

But, it could just be an effect of "Black Friday month", probably is.

--
FWIW, a Sage with a decent battery would probably make me upgrade my Forma. Add something like a newer e-ink screen, and that's a definite yes.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote