Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-30-2017, 05:21 AM   #1
kkakosim
kkakosim began at the beginning.

Device: MS Surface Pro 4; Android; iPad; Kindle Paperwhite; Onyx N96ML
N96ML - Handwritting Notes

Dear all,
I am a new user of a BOOX N96ML (just updated to 1.8.1; purchased from ereader-store.de). I have tried the pre-installed [Notes] app which is fairly good and smooth. But note that after long use, I ended loosing a couple of times multiple pages, I suppose is a memory issue.

Nevertheless, I am interested for any experience getting something more advanced like [MS OneNote] to work on it. I have installed an older APK (v15+ that is compatible with Android V4.0.4), because I couldn't install any newer. Configuration and notebook opening works fine but final pages are "dark". I can type (not scribble), and changes sync both ways, but I cannot see any because note page is always dark (pitch black ).

Anyone successful to make it work?
thanks
kkakosim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:14 AM   #2
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Hi kkakosim, I have the M96, but since it's very similar HW and SW I suppose they behave similarly. (I also tried the M96Plus, which has 1GB RAM so really identical to N96ML.)
I really like this device, but I am also disappointed in many respects. For a device whose main differentiator is the stylus, it is surprisingly inadequate in handwriting support. Here is my experience and tips:

Pre-installed Notes app: my main gripe is that it is very-very basic. I could list a huge number of missing functions, but the main problem is that it has no search function. So once you have accumulated a lot of notes, it is quite difficult to find the one you are looking for. I also read about the data loss issue. I recommend that whenever you are finished with a note/session, you export the note to png. This can be done very quickly and should ensure that your notes are safe, even if they are lost in the Notes app itself. Not an ideal solution, but a good workaround.

Other, more sophisticated note-taking apps: I tried over 40 apps from the Play store (all those with a rating of 3 stars or higher) about a year ago. Many of them assume you are using a capacitive tablet (no palm rejection), so they force you to write in a box at the bottom of the screen. You can forget about these.
As for the rest: even if they ran on the M96 (like Evernote, for example), I experienced HUGE lag (1 second or more), which is a no-go for me. The latest version of Google Keep is not compatible. I was able to install an older version from APKMirror, but it crashes as soon as I start the handwriting function. I can't remember what was wrong with OneNote specifically, but it didn't run properly (I think lag).
The app which I found quite usable is LectureNotes. This is a very-very nice, full-featured note-taking app, with a million settings and features. The lag is noticable but bearable in my opinion. There is no online integration, but if you can do without this, it's a good choice in my opinion.
That said, I am currently experimenting with the stock Notes app again, trying to make it work without the search function. The speed of the app is impressive. I think there is hope for further enhancement of the functionality: I have written to Booxtor and Onyx about this, and since then several requested features have been incorporated.

I hope this helps! Let us know your experience!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-P907A using Tapatalk
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
UncleZeno
Connoisseur
UncleZeno began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx N96ML
Latest firmware upgrade (1.8.2) has improved a lot the Scribble application. Taking notes now is a very pleasant experience. Probably several features are still missing but I see progress firmware after firmware.
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleZeno View Post
Latest firmware upgrade (1.8.2) has improved a lot the Scribble application. Taking notes now is a very pleasant experience. Probably several features are still missing but I see progress firmware after firmware.
Really? For me nothing has changed since the last version - maybe you updated from an older version than I did.
I agree the scribble app (valled Note) is pleasant, but without a search function things can get complicated.

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:34 AM   #5
stjoe
Connoisseur
stjoe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, Pocket eDGe, Kindle Paperwhite, Sony, Onyx N96, Onyx Nova
Yes, I found lecturenotes is good to use with Onyx Max
stjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
kkakosim
kkakosim began at the beginning.

Device: MS Surface Pro 4; Android; iPad; Kindle Paperwhite; Onyx N96ML
thank you all for the input. Did someone tried, successfully OneNote? I am great fun of it, since 2003, and even more after I tried it using a YOGA14 and recently the MS Surface 4.

Still though, I would like to have it on the eReader.

I also agree that the stock Notes works very nice. The export functionality (post v1.8.1) it also adds some value into it. But it still is far from being a useful daily notes-taking app.

I will give a try to LectureNotes
kkakosim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
ggreader
ggreader , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ggreader , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ggreader , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ggreader , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ggreader , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ggreader , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ggreader , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ggreader , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ggreader , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ggreader , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ggreader , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: onyx boox n96
Lecture notes has some minor lag which I don't understand if it's due to the device or the app itself. If the Note app would have more settings I would use it more but I am not trusting it for college notes or important notes. It is very fast but imho missing some fundamental features.
I haven't tried Onenote but I am quite sure it will lag.
ggreader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handwritting, n96ml, notes, onenote