Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2008, 04:37 AM   #1
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Books doubling up with Sync. Help please

Hi, here is my situation. I am new to all of this so any help greatly appreciated and after a search of topics can not believe that no one else has the same problem. I have downloaded my books from the Sony store to the library. when I sync the reader with the Library every book in the library duplicates on the reader. So where I may have 6 books in the library, 1 sync gives me 12 books on the reader. 2 syncs gives me 18 books ( same books listed 3 times). The only way to delete the extra is to delete the book from the library meaning I lose everything every time. What is going on? Then I tried to work with collections and the same thing happened. Surely it has to be something really simple - doesn't it?

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Consider not using the sync function. When I first got my Sony Reader and Sony's library software, I quickly found that the sync function was more trouble than not, especially since I was also using calibre to upload books and conflicts happened.

Now I never use Sony software's sync function. You can manually transfer files from your computer to your reader by highlighting the books you want to transfer and then dragging them (by using the left mouse button) to the Sony reader icon that appears in the Sony software desktop when you plug in your reader to the computer.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks. I knew it had to be something simple. But I do have one more question as it wont exactly let me drag and drop th books. I am using the Sony Library and when I download from the web site to the sony library software, it automatically syncs with the reader. Do you know of anyway to turn this off so I can drag and drop the books I want on the reader from the Sony Library? What my motive behind the collections was a way of setting up something that I could "file" the books I have read into but maybe that is all wishful thinking just yet. I have downloaded Calibre and its really hard to work with the books bought from the Sony store. Any other suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, see if this works. Plug in reader. Click on the Sync function after reader icon appears. This should take you to the Sync Source view. Untick all boxes, especially the box for the "Purchased" collection.

Whew, it's been a while since I messed with this. Sony's sync really scares me.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
nwinter
Zealot

yes, that worked and now the data on the reader does not look the same as the library. I did a drag and drop and it all worked well. Thanks so much. Its pretty scary that these people can design a really brilliant reader that requires such technology yet are unable to back it up with the software. I think I will just give up on my idea of trying to do a collection for read books and just download the ones I want to read. Thankfully I had next to no books on there and had not really read any of them so didnt lose any data.

I am eternally grateful ( my brain can rest now) so thanks again.

Natalie
Advert
Old 12-06-2008, 05:49 AM   #6
Seabound
Steerage Class

You're quite welcome. I'm glad that worked out for you.

Consider using calibre if you want collections. Collections are quite convenient.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
nwinter
Zealot

I downloaded it the other day and just can not figure it out. I have no idea how to create a collection on there. Maybe one day I will get time to sit down and have a good look at it as everyone seems to really love it so I must be missing something simple - again <G>.

Natalie
Old 12-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Occasionally, the Reader (or is it the software?) will "belch" [F**k up], regardless of whether the sync feature is on or not. I use the sync feature, but many people don't like it.

Whenever something happens, I delete the everything on the Reader this way: Plug it in and delete every folder on the Reader. I then unplug it and let it go through the process of loading nothing, which takes about 1 second. However, keep in mind that everything currently IN the Sony Folder (on the computer) is exactly what is on the Reader. When something is read and deleted from the Reader, I also move it OUT of the Sony folder and put the file into a Books Read folder.

Now, if the sync feature is on, just plug the Reader back in and load up the Sony software. Every book that was in your library (in your Sony Library) will be synced back to the way you had it, along with your collections. Bookmarks will be lost.

I've had to do this about three times total, probably because I carry about 300-350 titles (mainly novels) on my Reader. I only have about 7 megs left on the Reader. Whenever I finish reading something, I delete it.

One time, I had about 10 megs left, and wanted to load some newer titles onto the Reader, but it stated I didn't have enough memory. I suspect the memory on the Reader had BECOME FRAGMENTED and would not allow me to load even one title onto the Reader.

I then deleted everything, using the process I just described. (As a safety measure, I copied the folder of books on the Reader onto my computer - even though the books were already in the Sony's folder on my computer. This was just a safety precaution.)

Then, with everything deleted on the Reader, I did a sync and everything in the Sony folder was synced back onto my Reader, and then everything was fine. So, the memory can get fragmented, just like on a hard drive. After all, it is a drive, and deleting and adding can compromise performance.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
Seabound
Steerage Class

Thanks for explaining that, Dr. Drib.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
nwinter
Zealot

Thanks Dr Drib. Will give that a go when the reader is back in the land of the living. I had contacted Sony about the problem of the doubles and they said that it needed a hard reset ( the standard answer these days I am afraid). So I did as told, then the unit locked up on me and would not turn off etc. After a rather bad morning, I put it on the charger and finally it has just come back to life - just but is a little slow. Needless to say, I wont be seeking advise from Sony again and the information from Seabound and yourself should see me clear of the double and filing issues. Much appreciated.

Natalie
Old 12-08-2008, 07:03 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I guess the main thing is that as long as you have your ebooks somewhere on your computer so that Sony's ebook Library shows them, then you always have access to your books.

And, as mentioned, an exact duplicate of your ebooks is also on the Reader itself.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #12
nwinter
Zealot

So I have had a little time to sit and play with this and last night figured out a way to set up collections on the reader with out having to Sync thus causing a double up. With the Sync disabled I set up all my folders under the library on the Sony Library. I then dragged and dropped the folders into the reader and there they are. All nice and pretty. So to move books now all I have to do is drag and drop from the reader folders to send books to my "read" collection and so forth. Hopefully this will help a lot of people who had questions on how to set up collections without doubling. Thanks to all those that replied as it was a great help.

Natalie