Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
BartB
BartB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
sorting imported files

G'day Folks,

Like most here I'm grateful to and amazed by Kovid. His creation of Calibre and now the editor is, on my part, greatly appreciated. Time to "donate" again I think.

Aside from expressing my appreciation and thanks, I have a question about sorting imported files. I have several files in html format, renamed as chapter_01, Chapter_02 etc. but when I import them they are jumbled up and out of sequence. I then have to manually drag them into their correct sequence. What have I missed? Is there a way of sorting them (like Sigil)? Do I need to import them one at a time? Do I need to name them in a special way?

Your experience and wisdom is sought and will be appreciated.

Bart
BartB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
They may come in the order they were sorted in at the time, so you can try making sure they are sorted by name instead of time, for instance.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2014, 02:15 AM   #3
BartB

mrmikel,

Just tried your suggestion of sorting prior to importing to confirm if this solved the issue and have found that the import is still coming randomly. Any further suggestions please?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What is this "sorted order"? Very confusing terminology.

Perhaps you mean "the order in which the files were selected in the Choose Files dialog"?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Yes, that is what I mean.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
BartB

Some more background info.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 but had the same issue on Ubuntu 13.10. The file names that I have tried are varied (depending on the source) so I used pyRenamer to rename the some sample files as Chapter_01.html, Chapter_02.html and so on until Chapter_13.html. I then created a new ebook (epub version), imported my standard stylesheet and then used the "import files into book" option from the File menu. I clicked on the "file names" sort tab in the child window to make sure the files are sorted in the correct alpha sequence and clicked on the open button. The result; imported files in random sequence.

I also have a Windows box (ver. 7) and have the same results as I describe above.

Hope this info clarifies my problem
Old 04-28-2014, 02:37 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The file open dialog does not return selected filenames in any specific order. You should sort your filenames after importing them, not before. Simply drag and drop the files in the files browser to re-arrange them.

Or if really want to arrange them outside, create an index.html file that references them in the order you want and import that, as described here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....specific-order
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:15 AM   #8
BartB

Ok, thanks all. I'll keep doing the manual sort then. The answers are appreciated.

Bart