Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
A question about online selections.

Does anyone know of an ebook seller that lets you create "exclusions" for book searches? AND remembers them when you come back! I'll even be glad to set up a users account.

To some degree you can do a little of that. But it's limited and doesn't work very well. Search for Dracula by Bram Stoker. Horror for sure. But there's a little romance in there too. And adventure? It's there also. Thriller? Yup. Comic books? Sure.

I've seen searches turn up a lot of books that are only marginally related to the primary search term.

At least in the book stores I could walk to the isles that interested me and search for the stories I wanted. There was no need to look at childrens book, historical romances, or travel guides for Lost Springs (smallest town in the United States), Wyoming.

Ideally I'd be able to search for all light hearted gay Polynesian historical romances BUT only if they included vampires. And when I went back to that site it would show me only books based on my preferences.

An unrelated side note - I just looked at my mail. Included was one mass mailing that says - "67 of your neighbors signed uf for lower electricity rates ....". I did a count to be sure, but there are only 26 houses on my street. There are no stupid computers. Only computers operated by stupid people.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
light hearted gay Polynesian historical romances BUT only if they included vampires.
I think you would have a pretty short list...

Don't know of an ebook seller that allows you to be that specific, but I wish all searches would allow this kind of filtering.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
I could walk to the isles
Take the ferry. You won't get your feet wet.

[Sorry. I couldn't resist.]
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aisle Aisle Aisle Aisle OK!

Are you happy now? You just messed up my in tire life!

I tried to take the ferry but they said that I couldn't have it. Darn thing wouldn't fit in my car anyway.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
SameOldStory
My True Self

OOOPS. Almost made another mistake.

You just messed up my in Tyre life!
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
No need to retread the same bad bun, we ate it the first time...

Quote:
OOOPS. Almost made another mistake.

You just messed up my in Tyre life!
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I know this isn't what you asked but you can be quite specific in searches.

Sony, for example, let's you select Under $10/Mystery/Psychological thriller. Brings up 188 choices. Or Under $5/Science Fiction/Contemporary Fantasy produces 67 titles.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
SameOldStory
My True Self

I bought one of my two DRM books from them last year, but don't remember the process.

I guess that it's just wishful thinking. AddALL Ebook search looks the way that I think it should work. OverDrive looks like it should work, but doesn't.

An interesting side note - AddALL is now starting to list public libraries (sample). I'm not how long they've been doing that, but it looks like a winner is being born.

Thanks Fbone for making me search. I'll create another topic on this. It'll give many of us some hope, and might be very usefull to those living in the areas of the listed libraries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Add All.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	68203  
Old 03-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Neither Addall or Inkmesh include Google ebookstore in their search. Hopefully, they will soon.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
There is no reason that the sellers couldn't make searches more useful.

Some retailers and sites have exclusion searches and similar.

But I agree, I still need to hit a p-book store and wander to find new things that interest me.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
SameOldStory
My True Self

The successful ones will, eventually, make searches more useful.

On the other hand it has to take into account your purchasing history. If you normally buy light hearted gay Polynesian historical romance books (if they included vampires ), but occasionally buy books on welding, then including your past selections wouldn't be unwarranted.

I just want to filter out the light hearted gay Polynesian historical romance books about teenage vampires. I am a mature man after all. We have our dignity to uphold.

Some might dislike the fact that someone is tracking their purchases, but there are already hundreds (if not thousands) of databases that have our information in them now. Let them benefit me for a change.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:

I just want to filter out the light hearted gay Polynesian historical romance books about teenage vampires. I am a mature man after all. We have our dignity to uphold.

Some might dislike the fact that someone is tracking their purchases, but there are already hundreds (if not thousands) of databases that have our information in them now. Let them benefit me for a change.
i've always thought you were female

but anyway, got any light hearted gay polynesian historical romances to recommend to me?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
SameOldStory
My True Self

As soon as someone comes up this a check list system were I can select the right criteria I'll have a whole boat load of em for you.

Glad to meet someone else who likes light hearted gay Polynesian historical romances BUT only if they included vampires.
  • Light hearted
  • Serious
  • Sad
  • Goth

• Gay
  • Straight
  • Not sure yet
  • Havent checked lately

• Afghanistan
  • Albania
  • Algeria
  • Andorra
  • Angola
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Argentina
  • Armenia
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahrain
  • Bangladesh
  • Barbados
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Belize
  • . . . .

It'll need to be a long list to suit me. That's why I want the websites to remember my selections.

But I do want to select things that I like and some things that I dislike, such as historical romances involving albino Eskimo barbershop quartets of the 1800s. Not that I have anything against albino Eskimos or barbershop quartets you understand. I've just had a phobia about Eskimo barbershop quartets of the 1800s my entire life. (Creepy, arent they? They look like the singing frozen dead.)

And just as in a book store I'll want to temporarily turn it off and wonder around a bit.