Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-03-2024, 05:44 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What's the point in forcing people to use a given term! I know of them as both Shelves and Collections; it's a matter of personal preference.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Because when someone searches for collections and shelves is used, the search will fail.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:50 AM   #17
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because when someone searches for collections and shelves is used, the search will fail.
What is the difference between using "series" and "#myshelves" in the column lookup name?

(And it's annoying when you have to type in myshelves, when they are now collections)
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2024, 05:54 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
What is the difference between using "series" and "#myshelves" in the column lookup name?

(And it's annoying when you have to type in myshelves, when they are now collections)
What you call the column is your choice. It does not need to be called #collections when you already have it as #myshelves.

When you talk about collections, use the term collections instead of shelves as most people will search for collections and not find your post because you've used shelves.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:57 AM   #19
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you call the column is your choice. It does not need to be called #collections when you already have it as #myshelves.

When you talk about collections, use the term collections instead of shelves as most people will search for collections and not find your post because you've used shelves.
I'm not asking about the column name, I'm asking about what the difference is in putting either "series" or "#myshelves" as the "lookup" entry.

The help page states "For Collections columns, enter series (all lowercase). (Or if you want Kobo's Collections to be populated with your Shelves in Calibre, enter #myshelves)"

Which I don't understand really.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:17 AM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I'm not asking about the column name, I'm asking about what the difference is in putting either "series" or "#myshelves" as the "lookup" entry.

The help page states "For Collections columns, enter series (all lowercase). (Or if you want Kobo's Collections to be populated with your Shelves in Calibre, enter #myshelves)"

Which I don't understand really.
You put in the lookup name of the column that contains your collections. Whatever you named it. "#myshelves" is just an example that assumes your collections column is named that.

For example, at one time I used "#genres" for collections (I now use a template). Some people use "tags". Or "#my_important_kobo_collections_column". Or whatever.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2024, 06:20 AM   #21
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You put in the lookup name of the column that contains your collections. Whatever you named it. "#myshelves" is just an example that assumes your collections column is named that.

For example, at one time I used "#genres" for collections (I now use a template). Some people use "tags". Or "#my_important_kobo_collections_column". Or whatever.
So I should just put in "Collections" in the lookup name?

Why does it bother having "lookup name" and "column heading" when it needs to be the same?
Old 03-03-2024, 06:22 AM   #22
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So I should just put in "Collections" in the lookup name?

Why does it bother having "lookup name" and "column heading" when it needs to be the same?
The lookup name and column heading don't need to the same, and in fact are seldom the same. I don't know why you think that.

You use the lookup name, with the '#' if it is a custom column.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:25 AM   #23
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
The lookup name and column heading don't need to the same, and in fact are seldom the same. I don't know why you think that.

You use the lookup name, with the '#' if it is a custom column.
Now I'm really confused I thought when you said "You put in the lookup name of the column that contains your collections" that I should put the name of the column that I have just made.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:29 AM   #24
Chocky
Addict

So is this correct if I want to have the collections I choose in Calibre to be on my Kobo Glo HD?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coll 1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	206657  
Old 03-03-2024, 06:30 AM   #25
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Now I'm really confused I thought when you said "You put in the lookup name of the column that contains your collections" that I should put the name of the column that I have just made.
I suspect that we are having more terminology problems. "name" for me is the column heading. "lookup name" is the lookup name. The two are very different.

Put the lookup name of the column that contains your collections into the driver. Like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	206658  
Old 03-03-2024, 06:34 AM   #26
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So is this correct if I want to have the collections I choose in Calibre to be on my Kobo Glo HD?
Given that you didn't give a complete example I can't be sure what you are doing. From the image it seems that you want to put #myshelves into the Kobo driver collections box. You then put the collection names you want for each book into the #myshelves column.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:54 AM   #27
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Given that you didn't give a complete example I can't be sure what you are doing. From the image it seems that you want to put #myshelves into the Kobo driver collections box. You then put the collection names you want for each book into the #myshelves column.
All I want to do if have a collections column in Calibre that I can group books into, that then gets replicated on my Kobo Glo HD so that when I go to collections on the Kobo it lists the collections that I have in Calibre.

I used to have it sorted until the reinstall but now I can't seem to sort it out.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:57 AM   #28
Chocky
Addict

And I don't even know if when I have sorted Calibre out it will update the Kobo with the collections, or whether it only does this on loading the book to the Kobo
Old 03-03-2024, 07:03 AM   #29
Chocky
Addict

And I've been calling it Touch but it's a Clara HD, (the touch is my wife's Kobo)
Old 03-03-2024, 07:13 AM   #30
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
All I want to do if have a collections column in Calibre that I can group books into, that then gets replicated on my Kobo Glo HD so that when I go to collections on the Kobo it lists the collections that I have in Calibre.

I used to have it sorted until the reinstall but now I can't seem to sort it out.
As I said before, I think you want to put #myshelves into the Kobo collections box. Do that. If it doesn't work then post
  • An image of the Kobo dialog showing the collections box.
  • An image of the #myshelves column definition dialog.
  • An image of the Edit Metadata dialog showing the contents of #myshelves for some book.
  • An image of the "Sending books to device" preferences dialog showing what "Metadata management" is set to.
  • A copy of the calibre debug log showing the Kobo connection. To get the debug log:
    1. Start calibre.
    2. Click on the down arrow next to the Preferences button
    3. Choose "Restart in debug mode".
    4. Wait for calibre to restart.
    5. Connect your Kobo.
    6. Wait for the connection process to finish.
    7. Disconnect your Kobo.
    8. Close calibre.
    9. Post the entire log that appears in a dialog.
Quote:
And I don't even know if when I have sorted Calibre out it will update the Kobo with the collections, or whether it only does this on loading the book to the Kobo
If you followed the directions and set Metadata Management to "Automatic" then the collections are updated every time the Kobo is connected to calibre.