Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
"New" Kindle Voyage

I recently bought a Kindle Voyage from the U.S. through eBay in the UK. It was described as "new" and came in a sealed, unopened box in its cellophane wrapper. Even so, given how long ago this device was originally released I'm wondering about the state of its battery. I'm charging it up now and will see how it goes, but should I see if I can get the current battery replaced for a new one? I'm aware of how bad it is for Kindle batteries to run out completely, and this happened here, unsurprisingly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
Ron100
Enthusiast
Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Mini
I picked up a 2nd hand one in the UK about 3-4 weeks ago from Cex, mine loses about 10-15% a day in airplane mode and that's with reasonable use - maybe 3hrs a day reading.

Enjoy your voyage, it's got the best screen of any device I've had.
Ron100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #3
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thankyou for your experience. It's helpful to hear from others. I'll see how it goes, and if necessary can get the battery sorted. Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:59 AM   #4
Ron100
Enthusiast
Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Mini
If you do decide to swap out the battery please let us know how you get on, I may need the tips in the future.
Ron100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:45 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There's a good chance the battery could be flat and that it might be unable to be charged.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2021, 04:14 PM   #6
Waylander
Fanatic

I plugged it in and it charged up fully, and seems to be holding it pretty well so far.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:30 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It’s one of the easiest Kindles to replace the battery for, should it come to that (exception is the Kindle 1, which had a replaceable battery by design ).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:03 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I plugged it in and it charged up fully, and seems to be holding it pretty well so far.
I bought a used Voyage on Shop Goodwill and its battery holds up well. I charged it about three weeks ago and its at 51% now (light reading though, and in Airplane Mode — though I think I did update it on this charge). Great screen.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It’s one of the easiest Kindles to replace the battery for, should it come to that (exception is the Kindle 1, which had a replaceable battery by design ).
The Kindle DXG battery is pretty easy to replace and also KK3. No soldering and popping the cover is straight forward. You need to see a photo of the DXG as it's not so obvious.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
If it was stored in a cool environment and not subjected to extreme temperatures (such as being in a storage unit), you should be OK. I wouldn't expect "weeks" of charge, but it sounds like you're off to a good start.

I've had mine since it came out and still is my favorite of all the variations of the Kindle series. Enjoy your new purchase and keep us posted if you see any other odd behaviors.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote