Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
"Kindle Edition" books

Are any of the books abridged? I read that the footnotes and things don't tend to be nicely linked, but other than that, is there significant printed content missing from the Kindle editions?

One reason I got the Kindle is that I have avoided buying new releases for ages, as I couldn't stomach paying full $24.99 for an e-version of a bestseller, when it was costing the publisher and distributor basically 0 to make (since all books are digital before they get printed, now). $9.99 is a huge savings over that. But now, am I going to be reading the Reader's Digest Condensed version?
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have one book that I have in paperback and Kindle and they are the same, including all the little newspaper blurbs at the beginning of the book.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
honeybunny
Connoisseur

Thanks daffy!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
For novels, I haven't seen any evidence of trimming. I suspect it's more likely that a technical book or textbook with lots of diagrams, tables, and footnotes might not be complete in a Kindle edition.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
"Kindle Edition" is just Amazon-speak for "ebook, Kindle format". I doubt they do any extra editing besides what's necessary for conversion to digital.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
The one review I saw from someone who had footnote issues was based on reading a sample. That is sometimes an issue with the free samples. I've never had footnote issues with any of the full copies I've purchased. I don't believe any of the books I've read were abridged but I haven't read one side by side with the paper copy.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
honeybunny
Connoisseur

Thanks again for the input!