Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-14-2015, 03:38 AM   #46
kuskro
Connoisseur
kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.

Device: Onyx Boox T68 & M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
I think it's both a question of personal preference and context. Personal preference as far as habits and eye-sight is concerned. I, for example, have enormous problems reading on a screen for a long period and concentrating.
But I think you can also admit that there are certain situations in which a iPad just doesn't cut it. Battery duration, lighting conditions, even a two additional inches on the screen might be worth it (though not $500 ). As far as occasional reading is concerned, any screen will probably do. But "heavy duty" reading - academic books and papers, scores for music, etc: I don't think any kind of tablet is well suited for the job for many people.
Thanks a lot for supporting your insights. I totally agree with you. I spoiled my eyes because an iPad, now I have an illness named Photophobia (chronic eye strain) because an iPad. I'm university professor and I need to read a huge among of scientific paper and I cannot move around the word with a hard copy of the papers I'm working with at the same time to my researches. The only solution is an ereader with a big screen.

Besides, there are many studies pointing out that the density of black color on devises with amoled or ips screen don't let student to study. At least for me, the gray density color of an ereader is thousand times better to memorize a paper than any color on tablets.

Best.
kuskro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:17 AM   #47
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
There seems to be a general consensus here that:
a) There is a market, but not at the exorbitant price of USD 1,000 per unit
b) Economies of scale (number of units sold) must be increased in order to achieve a price decrease
c) The major cost element is the screen.
If this is true (and I think it is), then manufacturers would do well to squeeze as much functionality into the device as possible. Having followed the discussions on MobileRead for a few years now, I recall the following potential uses for a large e-ink device:
1. E-reader: superb pdf support but also other e-book formats such as epub, mobi, etc.
2. Digital notepad: wacom digitiser and software functionality
3. External monitor: ability to connect to a pc in a plug-and-play fashion
4. Musical score display: ability to connect a device to allow turning pages with a pedal.
(If I missed something, feel free to comment).
So far, we are seeing (or hearing rumors of) 13-inch e-ink devices from Sony, Pocketbook, Onyx, Netronix, and DaSung, yet none of them seem to have recognised that a single-purpose device in this category just won't sell.
In my opinion, Netronics has a good chance by using open Android - this takes care of the software side. Question is, will they have the foresight to add the hardware elements needed for the functions above (e.g. ports), and to do the marketing right?

Any thoughts?
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #48
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
So we're year older and there's another rumour:
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...-inch-e-reader

It's shame we did not hear from Zeng and Booxtor for a long time.

Last edited by fgdas; 03-27-2015 at 07:15 AM.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:34 AM   #49
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
So we're year older and there's another rumour:

It's shame we did not hear from Zeng and Booxtor for a long time.
Eh. That's just the usual nonsense of rehashing old news.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #50
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Well spotted. It was just my lament.
Advert
Old 03-28-2015, 06:04 PM   #51
fgdas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Any news on EInk display pricing from Beck Elektronik?
Looks like that announcement was too good to be truth.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:23 AM   #52
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Any news on EInk display pricing from Beck Elektronik?
Looks like that announcement was too good to be truth.
I contacted them a while ago but there really isn't much. They sell the screens for about 350 EUR/pc but only in quantities of 100 and above (read: to industrial customers). For what I can tell, that's just as good as going to E-Ink Hld. directly.

Last edited by ManDay; 03-29-2015 at 05:25 AM.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #53
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:31 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
What's the point in reposting a link that been posted, and discussed, in the messages immediately prior to yours?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #55
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got a response from Onyx:
Quote:
we are planning to make 13.3 inch model, but do not have confirmed time schedule yet
So GR's claim of an October launch is bogus.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #56
skobie78
Enthusiast
skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Onyx M92, Onyx Boox Max
Thanks Nate, good to get that info.

The lack of info from the manufacturers about their possible 13" readers has been infuriating. I think the worst is Pocketbook going to some obscure trade fair last month, whilst ignoring the potential buyers on this site.

I hope Sony's price cut on the DPT-S1 will force their hands. If they have real products they need to show them now. If I was in the US I'd buy the Sony today, rather than wait for an Onyx / Pocketbook / Netronix / Dasung that might be a bit cheaper, but equally might never see the light of day.
skobie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #57
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobie78 View Post
Thanks Nate, good to get that info.

The lack of info from the manufacturers about their possible 13" readers has been infuriating. I think the worst is Pocketbook going to some obscure trade fair last month, whilst ignoring the potential buyers on this site.

I hope Sony's price cut on the DPT-S1 will force their hands. If they have real products they need to show them now. If I was in the US I'd buy the Sony today, rather than wait for an Onyx / Pocketbook / Netronix / Dasung that might be a bit cheaper, but equally might never see the light of day.
The worst part is that Pocketbook could have announced a meetup on MR and generated a lot of attention.

But I don't think Sony's price cut will matter. Sony can afford to lose money on the Digital Paper and sell it to a tiny market. Pocketbook, Onyx, and Netronix cannot.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #58
fgdas
Addict

As Sony's Digital Paper is not high specs, groundbreaking device I think Sony is still making nice profit.
Technology is 5 years old or older. Sony was just first to make it real. They had some exclusivity to use Mobius but that expired.

Sony could also see the device sells well and would sell even more if it would be available worldwide.

I think we'll see updated version soon. Hopefully with Bluetooth.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #59
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's the point in reposting a link that been posted, and discussed, in the messages immediately prior to yours?
No need to be so impolite.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
No need to be so impolite.
It's not impolite - it's a simple question.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote