Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #16
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
If we ever are going to see another 13 inch (or larger) ereader it would be from China.
I am pretty excited about the specs and price of Pocketbook eReader. Mobius Display and 2 GB Ram is awesome!

Regarding Onyx launching a 13.3 inch ereader, I can look at the situation from two viewpoints.
1) I have been closely following Onyx for the past 3 years. We first came to know that Onyx was working on Android in 2012. I expected them to launch android based devices in 2013 but it took them 2 years. Now they are very busy with T68, M96, E43 and i86. Based on how slowly everything is done in eReader wold, it will take them at-least one and a half year.
2) Second View: The main reason for the delay was probably due to software development. It took them 2 years to adapt android for e-ink screen. Now the software is ready, hardware shouldn't be that hard to assemble. So if they wish to launch 13.3 inch ereader, they can do so within 3-4 months. And i think nearly all the buyers who buy M92/M96 would like to upgrade to 13.3 inch eReader assuming the price is decent. The market is there.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #17
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Before getting all excited about the PocketBook 13" device, take a look at the link in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...51&postcount=3 It says that the device will not be offered to consumers, only to architecture and construction professionals.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Take the politics to the P&R forum. Any political posts here will be deleted without comment or notice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #19
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
I am looking forward to a 13'' e-ink reader. Besides reading E-books I plan to switch my newspaper to e-paper. I expect a 13'' screen big enough to display a full page of a newspaper while headlines still large enough to be readable. Articles with an interesting headline could then be selected and opened to be read.

I can't understand why devices especially designed and optimized for the use of e-papers are still nonexistent. Producing and distributing conventional newspapers in my opinion is an anachronism which should be replaced as soon as possible.
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:43 AM   #20
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philju View Post
Producing and distributing conventional newspapers in my opinion is an anachronism which should be replaced as soon as possible.
I couldn't agree more. The only time I read traditional newspapers is when I travel by plane. I did so earlier this week, and every time I managed to turn a page in the crammed seat, the paper got more and more crumpled. By the time I was done, I had a huge paper ball in my hands :-) I was also annoyed by the fact that articles were broken up and I had to turn several pages to continue reading.
As far as I know, the online subscription model is slowly spreading, hindered by the availability of free online content. So as an increasing portion of the world's population prefers digital format, the question is, can publishers produce content worth paying for, or will it all be "free" (i.e. supported by ads)?
I don't necessarily agree that a larger e-reader will help the switch to digital. In digital format, text can be reflown to fit any screen, and 10 inches is large enough in my opinion, while also being more portable. Also, newspapers are nicer in color, so tablets have got it covered. What may be welcome is a color screen with high contrast, daylight visibility, and low power consumption.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2014, 05:04 AM   #21
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
You are right. Newspapers are much nicer in colour. Unfortunately, colours on a e-ink tablet presently still look pale (e. g. on the Pocketbook Color Lux). Several companies are working on the issue to develop a non-LCD technique for a bright colour screen for some time now (e. g. Liquavista, IRX, Qualcomm Mirasol).

Why does it take so long to bring them to the market?
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #22
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philju View Post
You are right. Newspapers are much nicer in colour. Unfortunately, colours on a e-ink tablet presently still look pale (e. g. on the Pocketbook Color Lux). Several companies are working on the issue to develop a non-LCD technique for a bright colour screen for some time now (e. g. Liquavista, IRX, Qualcomm Mirasol).

Why does it take so long to bring them to the market?
Companies like Apple, Samsung or Amazon are driving the market for tablets and obviously their CEOs don't think this is cool. Smart watches on the other hand... well that's the best thing since the invention of the wheel!

Last edited by por; 07-05-2014 at 10:11 AM.
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:45 AM   #23
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Don't even get me started on smartwatches... Why would anyone need yet another gadget with a tiny screen that needs regular charging and an expensive battery replacement every 2 years? If people need instant access to information (a valid requirement in some cases), that should come in the form of very thin, light, flexible, full-size smartphones with sunlight-readable screens that you can wear on your wrist if you want, or use as a normal phone. In the meantime, I would welcome a fashion change so that I can keep my phones (I have a company and a private phone) in cargo pockets, able to access them whenever I need - even when sitting, wearing a coat, etc. Currently, I keep them in the front pockets of my slacks, which makes me look, hmmm... well endowed :-)
In my opinion, smartwatches as additional gadgets will have disappointing sales - except maybe for Apple, who will probably sell a few units before fans realise they don't actually need it.
I could of course be wrong, but it's fun to speculate about these things.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #24
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Does anyone has any news/gossips about Onyx upcoming 13'' ereader? @zeng?

Btw I noticed that on the Pocketbook CAD reader website:

http://www.pocketbook-int.com/au/pro...ook-cad-reader

It says that it will run Android 4. I wonder does it mean that a user will be able to install it's own reading app (aka access to google play)?

I like this reader idea very much (2G of RAM!) however when they said that it's going to be only for projects etc. I thought it will be restricted somewhat similar to Sony 13.3'' when you can read only pdfs. Epubs would be nice as well.

Anyway anticipated price of 13 Pocketbook seems great ($574).

Let's see who (Pocketbook or Onyx) will premiere its device first
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #25
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
So now when Onyx Boox i86 is out from the blocks https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...20#post2954220
hopefully we might hear some new info about larger display.

By the way in this tread you will find the link where you can vote (send message to Onyx) about new upcoming M97.
Just voted for no buttons desing, capacitive touch, front light, Bluetooth etc.

Hope we will not wait until M97 is out...
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #26
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
I've pretty much given up on seeing a large screen e-reader from Onyx, as I have on Onyx in general. As far as their M-series is concerned, they seem to just blatantly milk the last drop out of that hardware and of their other lines without any innovation, whatsoever.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #27
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
I've pretty much given up on seeing a large screen e-reader from Onyx, as I have on Onyx in general. As far as their M-series is concerned, they seem to just blatantly milk the last drop out of that hardware and of their other lines without any innovation, whatsoever.
While myself I don't see how much more you can improve an ereader, I have to agree that I see no reason to upgrade to the M96. Well, outside of my M92 breaking.

Would be great if they integrated the reader with tools like Calibre though. That would be lovely.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #28
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
with the M96, can you access the google play store to install the kindle app, kobo app, and the google play books app?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #29
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Remarkable 1, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
with the M96, can you access the google play store to install the kindle app, kobo app, and the google play books app?
Yes to all.

Jp
japinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #30
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Finally Chinese can get hands on Sony DPT-S1 to make cheaper copies.
Netronix shows REAL (compared to PockeBook) working android 13.3" flexible E Ink with capacitive touch and digitizer: http://youtu.be/b-SnpwAsIYc
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote