Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
rusmo
rusmo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
*gasp!* I'm returning my Kindle Fire.

What tells me I'm making the right decision is I haven't touched it in a week and haven't missed using it. I've been reading using my Kindle 2, surfing and playing games on my iPhone and desktop PC, and watching Netflix on my big screen TV. For all the things I enjoy doing, I have something that does it better and/or more conveniently. The Kindle Fire (and perhaps the tablet PC form factor) fills a demand that doesn't exist in my life.

My biggest disappointment with it is the App Store. Most of the apps and games I use most frequently on my iPhone are not available for the Kindle Fire. I know that'll change over time, but I'm not willing to wait to see if these companies are going to port versions of their apps to the Fire.

So, for now, the smart thing for me to do with my money is return it. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for news on the device and the platform in the future.
rusmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I, for one, am shocked...

Quote:
Post 4: *gasp!* I'm returning my Kindle Fire.
Post 3: Annoyance - missing book page numbers.
Post 2: Anyone having issues with the "back" button?
Post 1: The cord doesn't fit very well... Do you agree?

From post3: I'm reading a book, and the page numbers show up on the Kindle App for my iPhone, but not on my brand-spanking new Fire.
I still do not understand why iPad owners were first in line for Fires.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Well if it doesn't fit a niche, send it back!

For me, even as an iPad owner and Kindle 2 owner, it fits a niche. I use it much more for reading than I do my iPad - it's much more comfortable for that. Especially for news, when I'm on the subway and even at home I guess. If I had to have one device, it would be the Fire. The iPad seems redundant to me now, but for a few apps that aren't available on the Fire yet.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
As an "all purpose" device the KFire works great for me. It is easily portable, has good wifi service, is a good ereader and has enough apps for my needs.
I am especially happy with its ability to handle apps like Mantano so I can sideload books.
I don't use a lot of apps...probably half a dozen tops...and can usually find what I'm looking for via suggestions and links from this forum site.

I would like it to be lighter, compared to a Sony T1 or newest Kindles it is a tank but it also out performs them in so many ways I can live with the weight. I also wish it had a smaller footprint. The screen glare in a well lit room...I work in a small lab that is uber lighted and the screen glare from all the florescent lights can be a bit much but in all other conditions, especially reading in bed at night without a light, it is great.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I made that post about the cord... I don't own an iPad. Overall, the Fire was the best tech purchase I've ever made.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I made that post about the cord... I don't own an iPad. Overall, the Fire was the best tech purchase I've ever made.
It does have cord issues but it seems the more I use it the easier it is to plug it in.

I love my KF and these past two weeks it has been really great to have. I have been suffering from horrible sleep patterns. Not sleeping well at night. It's great to pick up my Kindle Fire which is on my nightstand and read till I can sleep.

One of the neighbors got a rooster a few months back and it crows consistently from 4AM till Noon. I blame it for the sleep disturbances.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
rusmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I, for one, am shocked...
I do not own an iPad.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
rusmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Not sleeping well at night. It's great to pick up my Kindle Fire which is on my nightstand and read till I can sleep.
The Kindle Fire may not be helping, either:

Quote:
"The take-home lesson is that insomnia and electronics gadgets emitting light should not [be] mixed before bedtime," UCLA Neurology Clinic Director Alon Avidan
From: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...ook-sleep.html
Old 12-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusmo View Post
The Kindle Fire may not be helping, either:

From: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...ook-sleep.html
No my brain is hard to turn off. Reading helps me alot. Before the Fire I used my phone to read on at night. Believe me usually 4 to 5 chapters and I am out like a light but how can one sleep when you hear cockle doodle doo all the time.

You see we go to bed around 3AM and get up at 1PM. So you get use to hearing some noises like car romping, vacuuming, kids running but a rooster or dogs constantly barking drives me crazy! I even heard cows last week. I feel like I am living on a farm. *sigh*
Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No my brain is hard to turn off. Reading helps me alot. Before the Fire I used my phone to read on at night. Believe me usually 4 to 5 chapters and I am out like a light but how can one sleep when you hear cockle doodle doo all the time.

You see we go to bed around 3AM and get up at 1PM. So you get use to hearing some noises like car romping, vacuuming, kids running but a rooster or dogs constantly barking drives me crazy! I even heard cows last week. I feel like I am living on a farm. *sigh*
Would ear plugs help?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusmo View Post
What tells me I'm making the right decision is I haven't touched it in a week and haven't missed using it. I've been reading using my Kindle 2, surfing and playing games on my iPhone and desktop PC, and watching Netflix on my big screen TV. For all the things I enjoy doing, I have something that does it better and/or more conveniently. The Kindle Fire (and perhaps the tablet PC form factor) fills a demand that doesn't exist in my life.

My biggest disappointment with it is the App Store. Most of the apps and games I use most frequently on my iPhone are not available for the Kindle Fire. I know that'll change over time, but I'm not willing to wait to see if these companies are going to port versions of their apps to the Fire.

So, for now, the smart thing for me to do with my money is return it. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for news on the device and the platform in the future.
Fair enough. I think that if you don't really miss or use the device, it makes sense.

But to give Amazon some credit (and I do not work for them) the Fire was not intended to be a 10 inch replacement, or have same and strong market as Apple's. I mean ... how many months iPad has been on the shelves ? don't you think that it takes time to build and develop a good market?

If people keep those expectations clear before buying, less and less would be returning the product.

I think the Fire is a nice alternative to read some ebooks (Fire is lighter than other choices) and a great tool to browse and buy from Amazon store.

It's too small for Magazines, in my opinion, and not a PC replacement.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:51 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Would ear plugs help?

Carol
I can' t sleep with them in but I have been known to use them when I am trying to read and hubby has the TV blasting.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Ever try reading on an iPad? Unlike the newer iPhones and iPod touches that have Retina (higher resolution) screens, the iPad has a lower resolution screen with greater space between the pixels which causes the screen to look like thousands of tiny, bright dots surrounded by black (or dark) color. Add to this the fact that iPads have very poor text rendering capability and you have a nominal 10" tablet with text that looks blurry and is very difficult on my eyes. Don't get me wrong here, the ipad is terrific when it comes to many apps and games, but it is rather inferior when it comes to extended reading of books. Since reading is my primary interest in the iPad and other tablets, I was anxious to get a tablet that actually provided a terrific experience when reading for extended periods of time. Other Android tablets were mostly too expensive and not catered for reading. So I took a chance on the Fire knowing that Amazon had a good track record for making excellent readers. It was a gamble that paid off very well. I now find myself using my Fire much more for reading than my K3 and K4 combined as it is easier on my eyes. I also much prefer the smaller size of the Fire to the 10" tablets as it is much easier to hold and manipulate, especially since I have carpal tunnel syndrome and arthritis.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
ssahnan
Enthusiast
ssahnan is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle3g, kindle touch, kindle fire, kindle ipad 1 and 2, kindle iphon
I was just personally at a point where I wanted to explore if I was ready to have a secondary tablet to my primary ipad2. I'd say so far I am. I do still have reservations about that second tablet being a fire given it's short comings and bugs so far but because I am someone within the amazon environment, if I was going to have a second tablet, I wanted it to be a fire. I am a prime subscriber, my ebooks are kindle(i also have the kindle touch upgraded from a kindle keyboard) and since the kindle, I have since begun using the cloud drive to store music on and play thru the kindle even though I am primarily a spotify guy.

To take it further, as someone mentioned before, reading on a backlit screen on the fire vs the ipad2 is a huge difference for me as well. Even though the kindle app on fire is inferior to the ipad counterpart in functionality, the size of the kindle makes a huge difference and over the weeks, I have really grown to love having that smaller device to hold over trying to read on a ipad2. that said, I do find times I wish I went the route of the nook color2, videos just look better, rootable to get kindle app, zippier, sd slot, etc.., but the integration of prime videos, the music cloud drive, fleeting hope for upgrades that will take care of some of the bugs and shortcomings still has me valuing the kindle above all as far as a secondary tablet in that screen size department. Also, end of the day, it would sure be hard justifying a second tablet at a price point anything beyond the fire.

I will always use my ipad2 to do web browsing, emailing, slingboxing/netflixing, spotify and the rest of what ios apps bring but for specific things like backlit reading at night or catching a episode of star trek or something before i doze off, the fire is fitting that bill of having a smaller, secondary tablet I was seeking.
ssahnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #15
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Ever try reading on an iPad? Unlike the newer iPhones and iPod touches that have Retina (higher resolution) screens, the iPad has a lower resolution screen with greater space between the pixels which causes the screen to look like thousands of tiny, bright dots surrounded by black (or dark) color. Add to this the fact that iPads have very poor text rendering capability and you have a nominal 10" tablet with text that looks blurry and is very difficult on my eyes. Don't get me wrong here, the ipad is terrific when it comes to many apps and games, but it is rather inferior when it comes to extended reading of books. Since reading is my primary interest in the iPad and other tablets, I was anxious to get a tablet that actually provided a terrific experience when reading for extended periods of time. Other Android tablets were mostly too expensive and not catered for reading. So I took a chance on the Fire knowing that Amazon had a good track record for making excellent readers. It was a gamble that paid off very well. I now find myself using my Fire much more for reading than my K3 and K4 combined as it is easier on my eyes. I also much prefer the smaller size of the Fire to the 10" tablets as it is much easier to hold and manipulate, especially since I have carpal tunnel syndrome and arthritis.
I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome too. Do you find your hand going numb when holding the Fire with one hand. I do sometimes.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote