Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #1
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Question: Calibre's book editor

I am considering using Calibre's editor to split an omnibus into individual books. Actually, several omnibuses (is that a word?) It appears, after a quick glance at Calibre's documentation (not a detailed read) that this is probably possible. However, I'm thinking it might entail a significant amount of work. Off the top of my head, I think I would need to split out each individual books text, probably copy CSS code into each individual book, copy/edit table of contents, fix page numbering (or ignore it), add new book cover artwork ... and probably a whole host of other things I haven't thought about yet.

My question is not "can I do this?" With enough work, anything is doable. My question is, "is it worth it?" Has anyone attempted such a project before? How long, drawn out, and painful was the endeavor? Was the final result acceptable? Would you do it again? Did you do it all manually, or did you develop/find some kind of script to move things along faster?

I currently have 28 omnibuses (there's that unknown word again!) that would be candidates for this endeavor. Their contents vary from 3 to 13 individual books inside each omnibus. Probably averaging 4 books each. I have never used Calibre's editor before, but have briefly (very briefly) skimmed the documentation. All of my omnibuses are in azw3 or epub format.

Thanks in advance for any comments, tips, suggestions, warnings, etc.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Why not use the EPUB-Split plugin?

But to answer you question. Think of starting with COPIES and deleting the bits that don't belong. Some books use more than 1 CSS.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I was definitely thinking copy-then-delete for editing. I was not aware of the EPUB-Split plugin. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll investigate...

[edit] Putting "split" in the search box of the plugins dialog yielded nothing. But I'll continue trying to find it (somewhere, but I don't know where yet). [/edit]

[edit+1] Found it. I must have been searching only installed plugins before. [/edit+1]

Last edited by haertig; 01-01-2019 at 12:57 PM.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote