Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
New Firmware Upgrade Posted Already!

Dear All:

We got the new Firmware Upgrades posted on our website faster than expected. They are avialable right now:

www.theEZreader.com (under "support")

This update is regarding the font size choices, hyperlink, bookmarking improvements, and more.

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-09-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: fixed the link
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
tdproffitt
tdproffitt began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3/Palm TX
Awesome! Downloaded and installed the firmware. It looks like the fixes/upgrades are mainly for the epub format. It seems like the page turn response is faster too. This firmware update also adds TTS to epub (unencrypted epub at least), although the TTS needs a little work as it can’t handle contractions – for example ‘you’ll’ is read as ‘you’ ‘l’ ‘l’ and 'you're' is read as 'you' 'ray'.

Robertb, you convinced me to buy a Pocket Pro (I bought a white one) and I have to admit that I’m very pleased with it. I upgraded from a Cybook Gen3 and, while it is a great reader, communication from the company is really bad. You said that Astak would listen to us and so far, you’ve been proven right!
tdproffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
This did fix one bug the last firmware hit me with, the missing last sub toc entry on all sub tocs.

The search function works ok, but the timing on hitting the button to select the correct letter is a little tricky.

The bug, introduced in the last firmware upgrade, of not using the embedded font for toc entries in an epub is still there. This one is really causing problems with my Armenian Bible.

The list of features on the download page said it supports hyperlinks, but I still can't find a way to do that in an epub.

I also still can't figure out how to set a bookmark in a mobi file.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
In regard to the font sizes, there has been some posting that the default font is too small to read comfortably, and the next size up (and all other sizes) is too big.

Does this firmware fix take care of that issue, or will we have to wait for another update?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was happy with the last firmware and font size changes. This one does not look like it has changed again.
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyegeek View Post
I was happy with the last firmware and font size changes. This one does not look like it has changed again.
But if the major ADE/ePub bug(s) have been fixed, then updating the firmware is a rather good idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

We got the new Firmware Upgrades posted on our website faster than expected. They are avialable right now:

www.theEZreader.com (under "support")

This update is regarding the font size choices, hyperlink, bookmarking improvements, and more.
Well done on the firmware.

But not so well done on the website. The rather flashy, loud, and annoying intro really does need to go. It looks amateurish. And for people at work who do have sound capabilities on their work computers, this is not good to have. And the way the site is setup, there's no way to skip past the intro.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-10-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
hyegeek
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if the major ADE/ePub bug(s) have been fixed, then updating the firmware is a rather good idea.
And that's why I jumped at the new firmware, It fixed at least one major bug. I will keep pestering them about the bugs that are still not resolved.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
hyegeek
Groupie

Quote:
And the way the site is setup, there's no way to skip past the intro.
There is a skip button in the lower right, but as far as sound goes, it is already too late.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks sound no a professional web site is a bad idea. Now if I can get one of my clients to listen to me instead of his "marketing genius" he will probably end up annoying a lot fewer of his customers...
Old 09-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
The intro is no different than many other sites that I have to go to and at least I can skip it there or a few that will not let you skip.
While I am not crazy about the intro I believe the site is well done.

Just my two cents
Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
The intro is no different than many other sites that I have to go to and at least I can skip it there or a few that will not let you skip.
While I am not crazy about the intro I believe the site is well done.

Just my two cents
Chuck
I do believe the intro will lose Astak some customers.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Has anyone installed the new firmware and tested that hyperlinks in ePub work?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Has anyone installed the new firmware and tested that hyperlinks in ePub work?
Hyperlinks work in PDFs, but not in ePubs. There is also no "go back" key to return from a hyperlink. Two bugs that were fixed in the BeBook firmware but are still present here are that images get zoomed to larger than the page in ePubs and the ePub page number gets bigger with the zoom size.

The smallest ePub page size is way too small, which means that the largest size is a bit too small. This is still a big improvement on the original set of font sizes though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
And the way the site is setup, there's no way to skip past the intro.
There is a HTML-only entry point http://www.theezreader.com/html/. I agree that this should be the default starting point. The current "intro" could easily added to this page as an option.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Hyperlinks work in PDFs, but not in ePubs. There is also no "go back" key to return from a hyperlink.
Someone else posted that they do work in ePub. Could it depend on how the book was made or something?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=10

Kinda need that "go back" key though.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-10-2009 at 10:19 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote